Weezer becoming a Toto IV cover band?

Well Segue, consider this.

Weezer covering Africa has helped me to see the song in a new light, enjoy it more, and buy Toto IV, which I previously had little intention to buy unless it was convenient.

Listening now, and I do like this so far.

Doesn't improve the cover lol

• Like 1

I'm ready to start getting into Toto. Where would you guys recommend I start?

Debut, IV, Fahrenheit (possibly my favourite pop rock album of the eighties) and Falling In Between (quite groggy in places).

I love Tambu but its fairly repetitive.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

In 20 minutes this will fall off the trending charts, but at this moment this seems to be a relatively controversial music topic. Much love and hate for the Weezer cover. It doesn't do anything for me, nor does it really stray far enough from the original to add anything. Have to admit my love for Weezer was short lived and I've long since moved on. Edited by stoopid

This thread totally makes me laugh.

I saw TOTO on Friday night at The Fox in Oakland.

They were fuckking incredible.

Yes, there was Steven the comedian all night long on the mic and guitar. Great guy.

A Legend.

So, Steven talked about how Weezer put Toto back on the AOR radio scene? Crazy. Even Steven wanted to tear up. Toto getting radio play in 2018?

You millennials have no fuckking clue.

But luckily most of you on here get it.

TOTO started out slow but were absolutely amazing.

So after a 9 minute version of "Africa" Steven did some more banter on Weezer. (A band I could give a shit about)

TOTO wanted to return the favor so the encore was "Hash Pipe." In the moment I thought it was totally cool.

So I went home on BART and listened to the original.

BARF.

TOTO RULES!

I'm sorry if some of you humans can't get it.

TOTO is one of the greatest bands on the Earth.

It's ok. "Freewill."

I get it.

Signed,

"Hold The Line"

This thread totally makes me laugh.

I saw TOTO on Friday night at The Fox in Oakland.

They were fuckking incredible.

Yes, there was Steven the comedian all night long on the mic and guitar. Great guy.

A Legend.

So, Steven talked about how Weezer put Toto back on the AOR radio scene? Crazy. Even Steven wanted to tear up. Toto getting radio play in 2018?

You millennials have no fuckking clue.

But luckily most of you on here get it.

TOTO started out slow but were absolutely amazing.

So after a 9 minute version of "Africa" Steven did some more banter on Weezer. (A band I could give a shit about)

TOTO wanted to return the favor so the encore was "Hash Pipe." In the moment I thought it was totally cool.

So I went home on BART and listened to the original.

BARF.

TOTO RULES!

I'm sorry if some of you humans can't get it.

TOTO is one of the greatest bands on the Earth.

It's ok. "Freewill."

I get it.

Signed,

"Hold The Line"

SO TRUE

Weezer are overrated

So for some reason I didn't hear about this until the other day on my way to work on Monday morning. Listening to the local "alternative" radio station (103.9 in Dayton), this came on. It starts off...very stiff. The original has a signature groove that really lends a lot of the praise the song has gathered. I like Weezer's version, but it could have been done in a more fluid and loose way. Freddie Gruber always used to say that pop music was like a pogo stick. The song really feels like it lacks any sense of groove.

And yes, there is a difference between "groove" and "rhythm". The rhythm is fine. The groove is nonexistent.

So for some reason I didn't hear about this until the other day on my way to work on Monday morning. Listening to the local "alternative" radio station (103.9 in Dayton), this came on. It starts off...very stiff. The original has a signature groove that really lends a lot of the praise the song has gathered. I like Weezer's version, but it could have been done in a more fluid and loose way. Freddie Gruber always used to say that pop music was like a pogo stick. The song really feels like it lacks any sense of groove.

And yes, there is a difference between "groove" and "rhythm". The rhythm is fine. The groove is nonexistent.

I do get that. I think it's just Weezer's beloved drummer Pat isn't as much of a groove based player as he is a driver and a time keeper. He's not bad, but this material isn't really in his wheelhouse.

Well, they finally figured out a way to release good songs for once.

Toto covered Weezer and it was much better.

Well, they finally figured out a way to release good songs for once.

Toto covered Weezer and it was much better.

It was nice of Weird Al to appear in that video with Weezer and lend the band some credibility too.

• Like 1