Weezer becoming a Toto IV cover band?

So this is a thing:

And this:

I think the only logical conclusion is Rivers Cuomo's next big step in conquering the charts around the world is becoming a Toto cover band that only plays tunes from Toto IV.

That was a joke, but I'm not joking when I say I'm actually all for these two singles existing, but I'll tag that I actually haven't listened to them yet as I'm listening to something else right now.

Those covers are terrible
  • Like 3

Okay, actually listening to the Africa cover now.

I'm sorry Segue, I don't hear what's bad about this. Maybe a couple more guitars in the chorus than need to be there, but this is fun.

• Like 3

Okay, actually listening to the Africa cover now.

I'm sorry Segue, I don't hear what's bad about this. Maybe a couple more guitars in the chorus than need to be there, but this is fun.

i agree. and i think that's what it was fun.

i don't it was serious art, lol

Mick

• Like 2

I like Weezer's version better.

Call it me being a Weezer fan who never cared that much for Africa, but something about their cover means a lot more to me than the original.

• Like 2

Call it me being a Weezer fan who never cared that much for Africa, but something about their cover means a lot more to me than the original.

Africa was a hit....but it's one of my least fav toto songs.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

I've never understood the appeal. The chorus is catchy, it's a little silly, but the groove is far too tepid to make great use of that.

Weezer just added some guitars and cranked the chorus up past 7, and it's way more fun.

I like the original version of Rosanna better though, Rivers can't quite pull off the vocal delivery, and there was no way they were gonna beat the original groove Porcaro laid down.

Still... it's fun. This is what summer is for, lol. I think Weezer have finally figured out how to be the greatest meme band of all time.

• Like 1

Mick

I've never understood the appeal. The chorus is catchy, it's a little silly, but the groove is far too tepid to make great use of that.

Weezer just added some guitars and cranked the chorus up past 7, and it's way more fun.

I like the original version of Rosanna better though, Rivers can't quite pull off the vocal delivery, and there was no way they were gonna beat the original groove Porcaro laid down.

Still... it's fun. This is what summer is for, lol. I think Weezer have finally figured out how to be the greatest meme band of all time.

i need to spin Weezer again. they are favs from my teen years.

Yea the Original africa is about as dumb as those covers, lol.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

If you haven't before, try the White Album from them. It's their 2016 self-titled, and critics and fans alike pretty much said it was the best thing they'd done since the Green Album, if not Pinkerton...or the Blue Album.

• Like 1

Weezer are ok. Nothing special.

They don't suit these songs. Simple as.

I don't think either cover is good.

If they had fun doing it, good on them. It's got people talking. I've just seen it on Facebook. Awesome.

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

If you haven't before, try the White Album from them. It's their 2016 self-titled, and critics and fans alike pretty much said it was the best thing they'd done since the Green Album, if not Pinkerton...or the Blue Album.

i've been meaning to get to their White Album.

and I LOVE all the albums you listed, BTW. Particulary Green and Blue.

Mick

• Like 1

Weezer are ok. Nothing special.

They don't suit these songs. Simple as.

I don't think either cover is good.

If they had fun doing it, good on them. It's got people talking. I've just seen it on Facebook. Awesome.

I think I'm having more fun listening to it than they had making it...but then maybe I'm not thinking about how much fun it must be to be Weezer and be the meme of the day.

I'm not ashamed to admit I just bought the cover on iTunes.

I can definitely see your point though. The covers are very heavy handed, and Toto inarguably had more skilled musicians than Weezer has.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

i've been meaning to get to their White Album.

and I LOVE all the albums you listed, BTW. Particulary Green and Blue.

Mick

As soon as I heard the Blue Album, Weezer became one of my absolute favorite modern bands. Forget Green Day, Coldplay, Radiohead, The Killers, The Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, The White Stripes, any of that. These geeks from California are pop rock geniuses.

I don't spin Green enough, but here's my ranking

Blue

White

Pinkerton

Everything Will Be All Right In The End

Green

Maladroit

Pacific Daydream

and I haven't heard the others, not brave enough to venture into the mid 00's, lol.

There is nothing wrong with the covers....but other than aesthetics there is nothing new and unique about them. His voice is annoying when he has to hold long notes...and a little bit of distortion on guitars during chorus....yawn....I like both of the original versions and nothing in these covers would inspire me to take a 2nd listen
  • Like 2

I take it this was a prank on those expecting their black album to be released that day. Hope it’s more like Everything Will Be Alright In The End and White and less like their last album. Too electronic sounding for me. Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

Well Segue, consider this.

Weezer covering Africa has helped me to see the song in a new light, enjoy it more, and buy Toto IV, which I previously had little intention to buy unless it was convenient.

Listening now, and I do like this so far.

So this is a thing:

And this:

I think the only logical conclusion is Rivers Cuomo's next big step in conquering the charts around the world is becoming a Toto cover band that only plays tunes from Toto IV.

That was a joke, but I'm not joking when I say I'm actually all for these two singles existing, but I'll tag that I actually haven't listened to them yet as I'm listening to something else right now.

My 21 year old daughter played both covers for me. I liked them, but no way they do justice.

I'm finally going to pop my TOTO Cherry on August 3. Third row center.

It's amazing to me that I never saw TOTO with Simon on the drums.

WTF

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 1