Pew va mp

Red3angel

MP to the masses. Radio air play of Tom Sawyer did that. But overall PeW is better.
  • Like 3

the most successful single off of the next album after MP was the highest charting single of their career, which leads me to believe MP gained them the most exposure so the most number of people bought the single from their next album after being brought in.
  • Like 1

Moving Pictures.

It's their biggest selling album so you can't really debate the fact that it exposed them the most to a wider audience.

Sure you can. We're talking differences, not totals.

I don't feel like doing the research, but it's possible.

For the masses, especially in the USA, it is Moving Pictures. Both Limelight and Tom Sawyer are mainstays on radio stations that play what is known as Album Rock. At a bar just the other night I was at, there was Limelight along with a Pearl Jam song, an Alice In Chains song, a Neil Young song... You get the point. I would say that Spirit Of Radio might be close to those two songs in terms of radio play, but of the other songs on Permanent Waves only Freewill gets regular play and it is equal with the two other songs that receive occasional radio play from Moving Pictures, which are Red Barchetta & YYZ. Apart from those 6 songs I have not heard any others from either album in casual radio play for the general public. All that equates to Moving Pictures being better known by non-RUSH fans. Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1

When PeW dropped (in the 1980s, btw) Rush was still considered too nerdy for most of the kids in my high school to like. When MP came out, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting someone who couldn't wait to go to their next show.
  • Like 1

MP I think, to the general public.

No question about it. That was the album that truly broke it open for the band. 2112 is the other, but not to he same level.
  • Like 3

When PeW dropped (in the 1980s, btw) Rush was still considered too nerdy for most of the kids in my high school to like. When MP came out, you couldn't throw a rock without hitting someone who couldn't wait to go to their next show.

Exactly.

They did 4 shows in Kalamazoo that tour. No lie.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

If you ask any non-Rush fan if they've ever heard of them, they'll almost inevitable say, "Tom Sawyer, right?"

That song and that album are the most widely known among most rock fans. I think PeW is the better album, but...man...it's only by a nose!

MP I think, to the general public.

No question about it. That was the album that truly broke it open for the band. 2112 is the other, but not to he same level.

^^^This. MP was the album that probably got people thinking, "Hey, these guys are pretty good. I wonder what else they have out?" From there it went on. Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

This. "Tom Sawyer" was ubiquitous on the radio in the Spring of '81. It and "Limelight" helped the back catalog get more airplay as well.

• Like 3

This. "Tom Sawyer" was ubiquitous on the radio in the Spring of '81. It and "Limelight" helped the back catalog get more airplay as well.

Both were released as singles and even their B-Sides (Witch Hunt and YYZ) got some airplay.

Still don't get the Limelight love though. Ruins an otherwise damn near perfect album for me.

Still don't get the Limelight love though. Ruins an otherwise damn near perfect album for me.

:huh: