Solo: A Star Wars Story Spoilers Thread

LedRush

Solo  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this movie?

2. 2. Which Star Wars movies is Solo BETTER than?

I like the movie a lot, but will actually refrain from spoilers for a day or so despite the tags and title of the thread.

Well I can't vote because Solo isn't better than any of the other Star Wars movies. I would give it a C-. It may have the characters in Star Wars but it didn't "feel" like a Star Wars movie to me. I think it's because you are following Solo throughout the whole movie while the other movies have multiple plots going on at once. Even with the piss poor acting in episodes 1 thru 3, they still are better movies in the Star Wars universe. I may watch it again but I don't have a need/want to anytime soon. I'm a Star Wars junkie so that statement in itself it not good.

My fear is that Disney and the woman at the helm are going to totally ruin the Star Wars experience for me...

Edited by Pressure/Hopenosis
  • Like 2

Well I can't vote because Solo isn't better than any of the other Star Wars movies. I would give it a C-. It may have the characters in Star Wars but it didn't "feel" like a Star Wars movie to me. I think it's because you are following Solo throughout the whole movie while the other movies have multiple plots going on at once. Even with the piss poor acting in episodes 1 thru 3, they still are better movies in the Star Wars universe. I may watch it again but I don't have a need/want to anytime soon. I'm a Star Wars junkie so that statement in itself it not good.

My fear is that Disney and the woman at the helm are going to totally ruin the Star Wars experience for me...

Why would you willingly watch a movie that you think is a C- again?

I’ve seen Phantom Menace many times...it’s still Star Wars, it’s still fun, and it still sucks as a film.

• Like 1

I’ve seen Phantom Menace many times...it’s still Star Wars, it’s still fun, and it still sucks as a film.

Any movie that I think is fun and enjoyable I wouldn't give a C-.

'That meal was terrible. I'm going to eat it again!'

Clarification - No Retreat, No Surrender with Van Damme was dumb as hell but I'd give it more than a C- BECAUSE I enjoyed it.

I thought in Solo they did a fantastic job replicating the universe, improving on past films by focusing a bit more on cinematography. The costumes were also very well done, as was the casting. Another plus for me, which P/H points out as a negative, was a tighter focus to the story. The almost constant hopping among multiple story lines hasn't really worked that well in many of the non-original Star Wars flicks. I didn't miss the Jedi or Skywalker threads, which have worn thin due to over-recycling of ideas and the expansion of jedi powers to absurd degrees.

I thought Solo was fun, beautiful to look at, and smart departure from a tired formula.

And Woody Harrelson. :ebert:

• Like 2

The movie was also stupid and grating in parts.

One of my favorite scenes was the meeting of Solo and Chewbacca. I thought it was a great way to introduce Chewie. I liked the film's entire set up, actually, and the ensuing train robbery segment.

After that I slept through 20 minutes or so of the Kessel story. Didn't feel like I missed much, other than a long escape/fight scene. Woke up at the very cool gravity scene.

• Like 1

The movie was also stupid and grating in parts.

Standard Star Wars...or any action/fantasy film for me at this age.

One of my favorite scenes was the meeting of Solo and Chewbacca. I thought it was a great way to introduce Chewie. I liked the film's entire set up, actually, and the ensuing train robbery segment.

After that I slept through 20 minutes or so of the Kessel story. Didn't feel like I missed much, other than a long escape/fight scene. Woke up at the very cool gravity scene.

Loved when he met Chewbacca but hated that Han spoke Wookiee. The Kessel run just about put me to sleep. That really disappionted me as I was looking forward to it.

Because I would watch with my son which is time well spent...
  • Like 1

The chic robot that was with Lando and their almost romance was f'in stupid as well as the leader of the marauders being a young girl that barely looked into her teens. God the more I think about it the movie just gets worse. My son just told me it's the first Star Wars he didn't love. If they lose the young ones interest they lose the toy revenue and that's really not good!
  • Like 1

Loved when he met Chewbacca but hated that Han spoke Wookiee.

Why?

... the leader of the marauders being a young girl that barely looked into her teens. God the more I think about it the movie just gets worse.

Child soldiers are a real thing, though. Today, kids 10, 11yo around the world are fully functioning murderous warriors. It's not implausible at all.

Solo had nothing approaching the stupidity of Episode VIII.

• Like 1

Why?

To hear the actor do that was just silly. I couldn't imagine George Lucas asking Harrison Ford do that or even having a conversation about it...
  • Like 1

Why?

To hear the actor do that was just silly. I couldn't imagine George Lucas asking Harrison Ford do that or even having a conversation about it...

It didn't seem any sillier to me than any of the other fake language moments from the Star Wars franchise.

ETA: In this respect it's been downhill since the introduction of the Ewoks.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

The chic robot that was with Lando...

I liked the angle of her being an advocate for droid equality.

It's something that I've thought about for many years, and I thought it was really funny.

• Like 2

Why?

It didn't seem any sillier to me than any of the other fake language moments from the Star Wars franchise.

ETA: In this respect it's been downhill since the introduction of the Ewoks.

He just did it in the beginning to gain Chewie's trust. It's short, funny, and works within the universe.

• Like 1

Good reason!

Come to think of it, I’ve willingly watched all kinds of crap with Mrs. Blaze! :LOL:

But yeah, originally I thought you were going to watch it again (alone or not with a loved one) simply to give it another chance or because it’s Star Wars

Good reason!

Come to think of it, I’ve willingly watched all kinds of crap with Mrs. Blaze! :LOL:

But yeah, originally I thought you were going to watch it again (alone or not with a loved one) simply to give it another chance or because it’s Star Wars

My boy loves Darth Maul. That’s another 5 viewings minimum.

• Like 2

Got to see this movie twice recently at my designated Star Wars theatre. Its a great old place, built in the 1920's and I have now seen the original Star Wars there, plus episodes 5, 6, 7,8 & Rogue One. Don't get to the place for many other movies however.

Anyway, I initially voted to give this movie a B, but then changed my mind and rated it a B+. Liked it more than episodes 1, 2, 3,5, 7 & 8. That leaves it only behind Return of the Jedi (ewoks - yuck, but the thrown room sceen & the space battle - yes!!) the original (nuff said) and Rogue One (possible even better than the original, at least on par with it - yes I said it, go ahead and flame me but I really like it). Before I go any further, I will also make my automatic comment that episodes 1 - 3 had amazing potential in their plots plus some very good actors and good characters but they were butchered. A real tragedy. They could have been great.

Anyway, what did I like this movie? First, it gave us a view of Han's early life & background. It confirmed that he had been (sort of) in the Imperial forces. It showed him meeting Chewie. That he spoke Wookie did not make great sense (to me) given Hans background but it actually helped move things along. Was kind of funny. Note - by the time of the original Star Wars movie it would make sense that he would since they had been together for some time.

Their escape and joining the crew they were with was enjoyable. I liked the pilote for that crew a great deal. Interesting character (IMO). The train robbery I enjoyed - although it was a bit overlong.

All of the story with Han and his lady were interesting. What happened to her after the movie?? It leaves a lot of room for more stories. Liked her as a character.

The entire Kessel run was great. Lando was a great character. His droid, was - I guess you could say interesting. Droid rights??

Darth Maul - WTF. Time line is totally wrong. Still, one of the best characters from the series and one who should not have been killed so quickly. This needs major explaining. Perhaps more movies??

Han also being there at basically the very start or the revolt against the Empire and walking away - well done.

Cool to see a Millenium Falcon thats still new and not beat up.

I thought the movie explained how a young, streetwise but positive & somewhat idealistic Han started down the path to becomeing the character we meet again in Star Wars.

Could it have been better - naturally. I also say with these movies that with a tiny bit less action and more plot it could be way better. But its very good. For all the reasons I said and more.

BTW - it reminded me a great deal of a 3 part episode from Farscape titled "Liars, Guns & Money" which involved Moya's crew knocking over a shadow depository. Anybody else get that feeling?

Edited by TheAccountant