Kingdom Come: underrated rockers or shameless plagiarizers?

fraroc

Kingdom Come to me, along with White Lion, are one of the most severely underrated bands of the 1980s. Those first three albums they did (Kingdom Come, In Your Face, and Hands of Time) were absolutely phenomenal, especially Hands Of Time. However, this band had unfortunately became the subject of unfounded criticism and outright shaming due to the fact that their music was sonically similar to Led Zeppelin and is often used as an example of what Zeppelin would sound like if they got a new drummer and continued on into the 80s. It didn't help that Lenny Wolf denied ever being a fan of Led Zeppelin in the 80s and instead named Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, and AC/DC as influences.

The most devastating blow to them was when Jimmy Page flat-out made an accusation of plagiarism against Kingdom Come in 1988. "Obviously it can get to the point where it gets past being a compliment and it can be rather annoying, when you've got things like Kingdom Come, actually ripping riffs right off, that's a different thing altogether."

What do you guys think, did they deserve all this bashing? Or were they just an ordinary underrated hair metal band that got unfairly picked on by the media and fellow rockers?

Edited by fraroc

Kingdom Come to me, along with White Lion, are one of the most severely underrated bands of the 1980s. Those first three albums they did (Kingdom Come, In Your Face, and Hands of Time) were absolutely phenomenal, especially Hands Of Time. However, this band had unfortunately became the subject of unfounded criticism and outright shaming due to the fact that their music was sonically similar to Led Zeppelin and is often used as an example of what Zeppelin would sound like if they got a new drummer and continued on into the 80s. It didn't help that Lenny Wolf denied ever being a fan of Led Zeppelin in the 80s and instead named Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, and AC/DC as influences.

The most devastating blow to them was when Jimmy Page flat-out made an accusation of plagiarism against Kingdom Come in 1988. "Obviously it can get to the point where it gets past being a compliment and it can be rather annoying, when you've got things like Kingdom Come, actually ripping riffs right off, that's a different thing altogether."

What do you guys think, did they deserve all this bashing? Or were they just an ordinary underrated hair metal band that got unfairly picked on by the media and fellow rockers?

Erm...Jimmy Page has no room to talk...

I have never played them. I might see to that!

Also...I sort of kind of don't hate Cinderella...

I don't like any of these Led Zep wannabe bands. That includes the ones from back in the day and the ones around today.

good cuz they don't like u either!!111

I'm kidding of course :) But anyway, Kingdom Come has so many other great songs other than Get It On. The entire Hands Of Time album I feel, is one of the most underrated records of the early 90s.

I don't like any of these Led Zep wannabe bands. That includes the ones from back in the day and the ones around today.

Like early Rush and White Snake?

Led Zeppelin may have invented a genre but they stopped owning it a long time ago.

I have to laugh when older bands complain about imitators while forgetting their own origins and influences. Very little in rock/pop is "original".
  • Like 1

Led Zeppelin may have invented a genre but they stopped owning it a long time ago.

I have to laugh when older bands complain about imitators while forgetting their own origins and influences. Very little in rock/pop is "original".

Exactly, it all started with Elvis Presley. Everyone else is stealing shit.

Exactly, it all started with Elvis Presley. Everyone else is stealing shit.

I still can't forgive all those black artists of the 50s that ripped off Elvis.

:P

;)

• Like 3

Like early Rush and White Snake?

Yeah but those bands don't just do Zep rip-offs, it's only one or two songs, not a whole career.

The hit...

Very, very Zeppelin.

I do know this song. Haven't heard it in years. I remember the radio playing it back then and my brother and I both thought it was a new Robert Plant tune.

• Like 1

I sure you would love that new Zep Generation Z rip off band called Greta Van Fleet! GARBAGE!

As for Kingdom Come? LOVE THEM! Although I saw them live back in the 80's and they were terrible.

Lenny Wolf is very underrated. If you don't know all of your melodic rock history then you should check out a band called Stone Fury with Lenny on vocals. Excellent ROCK!

Someone mentioned Cinderella???

THEY RULE!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I'll admit to owning the first two albums, but I can't say I listen to them too much. They get relegated to my '80s nostalgia section such as it is along with the likes of Judas Priest and Tesla.

If I sold those two Kingdom Come albums, I probably wouldn't miss them.

I'll admit to owning the first two albums, but I can't say I listen to them too much. They get relegated to my '80s nostalgia section such as it is along with the likes of Judas Priest and Tesla.

I sold mine, and I don't.

I love Kingdom Come

I mean look

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td6HnUrG07E&

OMG, I had Journey on vinyl back in the 80's, and hearing this brought back memories. I have to see if a CD of it is available. One of the first albums with NO DRUMMER, utilizing a Bentley Rhythm Ace instead. Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

:rfl:

I find it absolutely hysterical how people whinge about how Kingdom Come and Greta Van Fleet stole from Led Zeppelin, and now the tables have turned and we're beginning to discover just how much Zeppelin stole from other artists.

I find it absolutely hysterical how people whinge about how Kingdom Come and Greta Van Fleet stole from Led Zeppelin, and now the tables have turned and we're beginning to discover just how much Zeppelin stole from other artists.

I side with you here, absolutely.

But Led Zeppelin for me sound better than Kingdom Come. But I won't lie because of you I heard of this band and I like what I hear! A lot of bands labelled "hair metal" to me sound a lot like bluesy rock n roll. Ignore the image I just hear great hard rock.

Great White and Cinderella also fit the bill.

Beginning to discover? This isn't exactly breaking news.

I have their entire catalog. Some Wolf solo albums too. Will never part with them.