QUEEN - Rank the studio albums from 1973 to 1991

treeduck

I don't dislike all of The Miracle, but three of the five songs on side one are the worst Queen songs to me...the first two and The Invisible Man. I'm starting to think I like Hot Space more.

Really, I love all of those songs. Party and Kashogghi's Ship are pure fun to me, and Invisible Man is even more fun.

:yes:
  • Like 1

I'm listening to all the Queen albums.

My rankings so far...

1. Sheer Heart Attack [9/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

3. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

3. A Night at the Opera [7/10]

4. A Day at the Races [7/10]

5. News of the World [7/10]

6. Queen [6/10]

Surprised Opera is scored that low withh you.

Mick

I wouldn't say it scored low. I rate a 7/10 as very good. I listen to it often. Personally, I find some of the album superfluous. I know many here love "The Prophet's Song". I find it half maddingly inspired and half maddingly annoying. But that's just me. Wait until you see how I rate Hot Space!

• Like 1

My rankings so far...

2. Queen II [8/10]

3. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

6. Queen [6/10]

Mick

I wouldn't say it scored low. I rate a 7/10 as very good. I listen to it often. Personally, I find some of the album superfluous. I know many here love "The Prophet's Song". I find it half maddingly inspired and half maddingly annoying. But that's just me. Wait until you see how I rate Hot Space!

I think the American school grading system has permanently turned anything under an 80% into a bad score for many people.

Now personally I think, while 7/10 is a good score, ANATO is perfect in almost every way and deserves more, but that's just me.

7/10, eh, sure. It's good.

• Like 1

My rankings so far...

2. Queen II [8/10]

3. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

6. Queen [6/10]

Mick

I think the American school grading system has permanently turned anything under an 80% into a bad score for many people.

Now personally I think, while 7/10 is a good score, ANATO is perfect in almost every way and deserves more, but that's just me.

7/10, eh, sure. It's good.

To be honest I think 7/10 is good enough. I gave it a high rating based on two or three wonderful songs but the truth is, the twee stuff did nothing for me.

• Like 1

My rankings so far...

2. Queen II [8/10]

3. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

6. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

3. News of the World [8/10]

4. A Night at the Opera [7/10]

5. Jazz [7/10]

6. A Day at the Races [7/10]

7. Queen [6/10]

I like a lot of their stuff but Im good with three albums

Sheet Heart Attack

News of the World

The Game

Goodnight.

Good choices. :yes:

My rankings so far...

2. Queen II [8/10]

3. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

6. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

5. Jazz [7/10]

7. Queen [6/10]

My list is an ongoing process. It will change, but for now:

2. Queen II [8/10]

4. The Works [8/10]

5. A Night at the Opera [7/10]

6. Jazz [7/10]

7. A Day at the Races [7/10]

8. Hot Space [7/10]

9. The Game [6/10]

10. Queen [6/10]

• Like 1

My rankings so far...

2. Queen II [8/10]

3. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

6. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

5. Jazz [7/10]

7. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

4. The Works [8/10]

6. Jazz [7/10]

8. Hot Space [7/10]

9. The Game [6/10]

10. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

4. The Works [8/10]

6. Jazz [7/10]

8. Hot Space [7/10]

9. Queen [7/10]

10. The Game [6/10]

11. A Kind of Magic [5/10]

My rankings so far...

2. Queen II [8/10]

3. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

6. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

5. Jazz [7/10]

7. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

4. The Works [8/10]

6. Jazz [7/10]

8. Hot Space [7/10]

9. The Game [6/10]

10. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

4. The Works [8/10]

6. Jazz [7/10]

8. Hot Space [7/10]

9. Queen [7/10]

10. The Game [6/10]

I sorta agree about The Game, not all it's cracked up to be. I see you're not one of the ones who likes the big 80s ballideering of A Kind Of Magic though, lol.

My rankings so far...

2. Queen II [8/10]

3. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

6. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

5. Jazz [7/10]

7. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

4. The Works [8/10]

6. Jazz [7/10]

8. Hot Space [7/10]

9. The Game [6/10]

10. Queen [6/10]

2. Queen II [8/10]

4. The Works [8/10]

6. Jazz [7/10]

8. Hot Space [7/10]

9. Queen [7/10]

10. The Game [6/10]

I sorta agree about The Game, not all it's cracked up to be. I see you're not one of the ones who likes the big 80s ballideering of A Kind Of Magic though, lol.

The songs on The Game don't hold up under scrutiny. I felt The Works was a brilliant return to form. It sounds 80s but had a ballsy attitude, something all the 70s albums had. Then they released A Kind of Magic which sounds too poppy and lacks a heaviness.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

I was just listening to THE WORKS and it was definitely their most consistently good albums since the late 70's. I think it might be better than Jazz. It might be the best Queen record outside the first 5 albums. If you haven't got this one you need to get it, every track is at least good, and there's some classics on there.

I was just listening to THE WORKS and it was definitely their most consistently good albums since the late 70's. I think it might be better than Jazz. It might be the best Queen record outside the first 5 albums. If you haven't got this one you need to get it, every track is at least good, and there's some classics on there.

I love The Works, but to me it's actually kinda inconsistent. I was never that big a fan of Tear It Up, should have gone with the B-side I Go Crazy for a hard rocker, that one's more fun. Machines struggles to really take off for me, and Keep Passing The Open Windows seems like its just missing something (I can hear very clearly that it was written for a movie as more of a theme or background than as a standalone song). Also Man On The Prowl runs a little long to be a kitch or just for fun tune, but has the tone of something more like Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Also Is This The World We Created isn't a very convincing album closer to me.

I enjoy all of these songs, I don't think any of them are bad, or that any of them take away from the album, but I do think they all could've been better, or could've added more in some way. Doesn't help that they split up the four tracks that I really love, lol. But yeah, for me the album is carried by the four singles. In that sense at least, I think this is roughly their most commercial and accessible album, but a lot of Queen's usual weirdness and character is muted in return for those huge singles.

The works is a breath of fresh air after a bit of a rocky start decade wise with the game (a 7.5 for me) and Hot Space.......which....ya know......woof.

I LOVE The Works

Mick

• Like 1

The works is a breath of fresh air after a bit of a rocky start decade wise with the game (a 7.5 for me) and Hot Space.......which....ya know......woof.

I LOVE The Works

Mick

I don't know Hot Space has a surprising amount of good songs on it, the big ones at the end but also Staying Power (this is where Michael Jackson got Thriller from*), Dancer, Action This Day, Put Out the Fire and Calling All Girls.

* Michael Jackson, who was close friends with the band during the time, later cited Hot Space as an influence for his own album Thriller. In a 2015 interview with Greg Prato of Songfacts, Extreme guitarist Nuno Bettencourt described how Hot Space was an important album for him as a musician. "I think it's interesting because that album taught me two things. It taught me that even if you're in a band as a guitar player, music doesn't have to be driven by guitar - it's about the song, first. But I think the main thing is that Queen actually did an album like that - it was the fans' least favorite, but it was one of my favorites because it took a risk and branched out. All those synth parts they did and horns, I could always hear them with guitar in my head somehow. But quite oddly enough, or coincidentally enough, the title Hot Space is exactly what it meant: it's all the space between the music. That's what makes it funky and that's what makes it have a pocket.

• Like 1

I LOVE The Works

Mick

I don't know Hot Space has a surprising amount of good songs on it, the big ones at the end but also Staying Power (this is where Michael Jackson got Thriller from*), Dancer, Action This Day, Put Out the Fire and Calling All Girls.

* Michael Jackson, who was close friends with the band during the time, later cited Hot Space as an influence for his own album Thriller. In a 2015 interview with Greg Prato of Songfacts, Extreme guitarist Nuno Bettencourt described how Hot Space was an important album for him as a musician. "I think it's interesting because that album taught me two things. It taught me that even if you're in a band as a guitar player, music doesn't have to be driven by guitar - it's about the song, first. But I think the main thing is that Queen actually did an album like that - it was the fans' least favorite, but it was one of my favorites because it took a risk and branched out. All those synth parts they did and horns, I could always hear them with guitar in my head somehow. But quite oddly enough, or coincidentally enough, the title Hot Space is exactly what it meant: it's all the space between the music. That's what makes it funky and that's what makes it have a pocket.

eh i spun it the other day.....could not finish.

but it IS cool about Jackson

Mick

• Like 1

I LOVE The Works

Mick

Mick

Yeah MJ listened to the album right through the Thriller recording sessions apparently. I think it was released about a month after Jackson entered the studio in April 1982. Thriller was finished in November and was released the same month.

• Like 2

I LOVE The Works

Mick

Mick

Yeah MJ listened to the album right through the Thriller recording sessions apparently. I think it was released about a month after Jackson entered the studio in April 1982. Thriller was finished in November and was released the same month.

I knew this story already, but I'm always amazed how, having heard Thriller before Hot Space, MJ had totally turned me on to what Queen (well, Fred and John) were after on that record. Staying Power should've been a hit.

• Like 1

I just wanna say after listening to it today. there is a shit ton of great songs on a day at the races. it gets a bit lost after ANATO. but it's just as good.

Maybe not as iconic. but man it stands up on it's own for me.

Mick

• Like 2

I just wanna say after listening to it today. there is a shit ton of great songs on a day at the races. it gets a bit lost after ANATO. but it's just as good.

Mick

True!

I see you as a Deep Cuts 1, 2 & 3 fanatic on the quiet too.

• Like 2

Mick

The big difference is really in their attitudes. ANATO is wild, eccentric, at once sweet tender, even a little corny, and suddenly loud brash in your face and loving every minute of it. In essence, between the two of them, it's the extrovert. It's the one people are quickly drawn to because it shows everything its got in the most forward and inviting manner possible. On the other hand, there's ADATR, which is subtle, dense, slightly more conventional but then coming to sometimes outlandish conclusions. It's rich and textured and warm and comforting, but plays soft on the ears and doesn't make itself clear on the first listen, or the second, or the third. This is a record that takes time to fully appreciate, and I've never come back to it disappointed, even though I didn't initially enjoy it as much as the previous three (and still rank it lower for that). ADATR is the introverted masterwork. Really, the two function as an interesting metaphor for Freddie's own personality. On stage, the man was so much larger than life that he could connect on an emotional level with the person furthest back in the stadium with ease. He was excessively showy and theatrical and drew every eye to himself. But in his personal life, he was a much deeper soul than all that. He was more quiet, reclusive, introverted to put it simply. Yes he threw wild parties and the like, but you could consider that an extension of his stage persona. That was the Freddie Mercury character he created for people to be entertained by and fall in love with. On his own, he was a sensitive romantic, searching very honestly for somebody to love. I think the metaphor matches really perfectly onto these two albums. ANATO has that side of it (Love Of My Life for example), but ADATR takes that side of things and explores it in full depth (You Take My Breath Away, Somebody To Love, Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy, etc.). It's a softer, more introspective album reflective of the softer more introspective personalities of the band members. Even Roger writes an ode to a lazy, comfortable Sunday afternoon spent reflecting on one's life No, not Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon from ANATO, which mentions that idea in its very title, but is more about the artsy and eccentric and still romantic lifestyle of its narrator. No, I'm talking about Drowse. Much softer than his usual fare. Things rarely get heavy, and when they do they don't pack quite the same crisp lightning strike power as they did on ANATO. Tie Your Mother Down, as raucous as it is, seems to be played a little slowly and more deliberate than past rockers in its vein, and doesn't reach the same histrionic heights either. White Man takes the length and doom of The Prophet's Song, cuts all the fat out of the arrangement, and condenses it until its nuances are all but inaudible amid the amps and feedback. Other examples of heaviness are contained in brief bursts (e.g. the heavy section in Millionaire Waltz), and most songs have nothing of the sort. It's a beautiful sounding album, but it doesn't need to blow your mind with power, it wants you to listen closely and attentively, to get lost in the harmonies, the soundscape.

Of course then punk happened and Queen rightly concluded they couldn't make another great album in the same theatrical vein as ANATO and ADATR, so they cut the harmonies and the epic arrangements and just had fun with a more limited rock and roll palette. And what a glorious success that was!

• Like 2

Mick

The big difference is really in their attitudes. ANATO is wild, eccentric, at once sweet tender, even a little corny, and suddenly loud brash in your face and loving every minute of it. In essence, between the two of them, it's the extrovert. It's the one people are quickly drawn to because it shows everything its got in the most forward and inviting manner possible. On the other hand, there's ADATR, which is subtle, dense, slightly more conventional but then coming to sometimes outlandish conclusions. It's rich and textured and warm and comforting, but plays soft on the ears and doesn't make itself clear on the first listen, or the second, or the third. This is a record that takes time to fully appreciate, and I've never come back to it disappointed, even though I didn't initially enjoy it as much as the previous three (and still rank it lower for that). ADATR is the introverted masterwork. Really, the two function as an interesting metaphor for Freddie's own personality. On stage, the man was so much larger than life that he could connect on an emotional level with the person furthest back in the stadium with ease. He was excessively showy and theatrical and drew every eye to himself. But in his personal life, he was a much deeper soul than all that. He was more quiet, reclusive, introverted to put it simply. Yes he threw wild parties and the like, but you could consider that an extension of his stage persona. That was the Freddie Mercury character he created for people to be entertained by and fall in love with. On his own, he was a sensitive romantic, searching very honestly for somebody to love. I think the metaphor matches really perfectly onto these two albums. ANATO has that side of it (Love Of My Life for example), but ADATR takes that side of things and explores it in full depth (You Take My Breath Away, Somebody To Love, Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy, etc.). It's a softer, more introspective album reflective of the softer more introspective personalities of the band members. Even Roger writes an ode to a lazy, comfortable Sunday afternoon spent reflecting on one's life No, not Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon from ANATO, which mentions that idea in its very title, but is more about the artsy and eccentric and still romantic lifestyle of its narrator. No, I'm talking about Drowse. Much softer than his usual fare. Things rarely get heavy, and when they do they don't pack quite the same crisp lightning strike power as they did on ANATO. Tie Your Mother Down, as raucous as it is, seems to be played a little slowly and more deliberate than past rockers in its vein, and doesn't reach the same histrionic heights either. White Man takes the length and doom of The Prophet's Song, cuts all the fat out of the arrangement, and condenses it until its nuances are all but inaudible amid the amps and feedback. Other examples of heaviness are contained in brief bursts (e.g. the heavy section in Millionaire Waltz), and most songs have nothing of the sort. It's a beautiful sounding album, but it doesn't need to blow your mind with power, it wants you to listen closely and attentively, to get lost in the harmonies, the soundscape.

Of course then punk happened and Queen rightly concluded they couldn't make another great album in the same theatrical vein as ANATO and ADATR, so they cut the harmonies and the epic arrangements and just had fun with a more limited rock and roll palette. And what a glorious success that was!

the Millionaire Waltz is honestly one of my my fav Queen Tracks.

And good Old Fashioned Lover Boy......i know some people hate the Dance Hall quirky side but honestly. that WAS a sticking point as a fan for me, lol

i think it was wise of them to Drop the theatrics. but this was a great goodbye to that era. and move towards the pop/rock singles era.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

the Millionaire Waltz is honestly one of my my fav Queen Tracks.

And good Old Fashioned Lover Boy......i know some people hate the Dance Hall quirky side but honestly. that WAS a sticking point as a fan for me, lol

i think it was wise of them to Drop the theatrics. but this was a great goodbye to that era. and move towards the pop/rock singles era.

Mick

yes yes and yes

• Like 1

Mick

For godsakes man! Tidy some of your posts up and submit them to UCR. They are in desperate need of content...or perhaps are just fascinated by Jonathan Cain. :wtf:

Here, I'll help :) :

Dear UCR;

Regarding your recent content, it is apparent that you'll print pretty much anything, and I have plenty of anything.

Despite the following pieces having no Jonathan Cain content whatsoever, they could be jury-rigged with little-to-no notice.

I have 300-500 word pieces ready for every f***ing Queen album (including the live ones), and I've passed every one of 'em by the folks at TRF - a rough audience at times. They told me to do it, so this is all their fault.

In conclusion, you suck, you need me, you pay me, you got me.

Sincerely;

Ent Perp

That's just a rough draft, feel free to add/subtract as you see fit.

here's the email:

staff@ultimateclassicrock.com

Good luck! :ebert:

• Like 1

Mick

For godsakes man! Tidy some of your posts up and submit them to UCR. They are in desperate need of content...or perhaps are just fascinated by Jonathan Cain. :wtf:

Here, I'll help :) :

Dear UCR;

Regarding your recent content, it is apparent that you'll print pretty much anything, and I have plenty of anything.

Despite the following pieces having no Jonathan Cain content whatsoever, they could be jury-rigged with little-to-no notice.

I have 300-500 word pieces ready for every f***ing Queen album (including the live ones), and I've passed every one of 'em by the folks at TRF - a rough audience at times. They told me to do it, so this is all their fault.

In conclusion, you suck, you need me, you pay me, you got me.

Sincerely;

Ent Perp

That's just a rough draft, feel free to add/subtract as you see fit.

here's the email:

staff@ultimateclassicrock.com

Good luck! :ebert:

:LOL:

Oh I would consider it if I were serious about music journalism, but alas, it's really not my passion. I'd rather be the one they're interviewing, I just think it can only help to know your stuff :P

It would be cool to have some of my Queen opinions published, maybe someday. lol I'll be sure to let you know if it ever happens.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1