Do You Guys Like Saxophone In Your Rock And Roll, Prog and Heavy Metal? HELL NO!

SAX, DRUGS AND ROCK AND ROLL?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Enjoy The Saxophone In Your Rock And Roll, Prog And Heavy Metal?

• HELL YES RUSHHEAD! YOU TOOL!!
    • HEAVENS NO!!!!! ANNOYING LIKE RUSHHEAD'S POLLS AND ZANY IDEALS!

I'm listening to one of my most beloved prog groups on the Earth, CAMEL.

The first four albums are all masterpieces.

I remember listening to "A Live Record" for the first time decades ago.

Sadly I was slightly disturbed hearing a saxophone playing on that live record.

It bugged me.

Fast forward to the Queensryche "Promised Land" Tour. I've already written about how much I couldn't stand the stupid bar scene on the stage with Taint I mean Tate playing a sax.

Then let's go to 2018. You all know who read my shit that I was just appalled to see the dead Papa in GHOST play that stupid sax. Gimmick or not. I hated it.

So I think the problem is me. Of course it is!!

There is that other prog band which I do like called Van der Gaaf Generator. Great prog band but please hold the sax.

I am a strange "Duck" like Pat. I love the violin and flute in prog and rock but not the sax.

Now that being said, don't get me wrong and please don't get your knickers in a tizzy.

I LOVE the sax in Jazz, fusion, the blues and R&B.

You can give me TOWER OF POWER all night long. Heck I am seeing them in Oakland on June 1st! It's where they were born baby!

Anyway, just keep the sax out of my prog, rock and roll and METAL!

Can you name me a heavy metal band with a sax?

Hmmmmmmmmm..........

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

I'm fine with it as long as it's part of the song and has it's place. Another Day from Dream Theater is a perfect example of a prog band using the saxophone well. Now if they're stopping everything just so they can lay this smooth jazz groove down on you then that has no place.
  • Like 2

I'm fine with it as long as it's part of the song and has it's place. Another Day from Dream Theater is a perfect example of a prog band using the saxophone well. Now if they're stopping everything just so they can lay this smooth jazz groove down on you then that has no place.

Oh wow! BOOM!!!!!!!!!

YOU NAILED IT!

Jay Beckenstein from Spyro Gyro is AMAZING!!!

I absolutely love Spyro Gyra. Seen them live a few times!!! EPIC JAZZ!!!

"Another Day" is a brilliant masterpiece. Amazing call. Yes. Ok! Glad I wrote this poll. The sax on "Another Day" is perfect.

I play saxophone Earl, and I love it! :P

Hahahaha!! Nice!!!

"A Love Supreme"

Transcendental album.

Also, asking about sax in prog? Do you not recall King Crimson? 21st Century Schizoid Man is nothing without that sax!

• Like 2

It bugged me.

Fast forward to the Queensryche "Promised Land" Tour. I've already written about how much I couldn't stand the stupid bar scene on the stage with Taint I mean Tate playing a sax.

Then let's go to 2018. You all know who read my shit that I was just appalled to see the dead Papa in GHOST play that stupid sax. Gimmick or not. I hated it.

There is that other prog band which I do like called Van der Gaaf Generator. Great prog band but please hold the sax.

I am a strange "Duck" like Pat. I love the violin and flute in prog and rock but not the sax.

Now that being said, don't get me wrong and please don't get your knickers in a tizzy.

You can give me TOWER OF POWER all night long. Heck I am seeing them in Oakland on June 1st! It's where they were born baby!

Hmmmmmmmmm..........

Yeah Saxophone doesn't seem to work in rock, even in bands like Supertramp it sounds annoying and weak. I think Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street is the only time it works in a rock song.

• Like 1

Hahahaha!! Nice!!!

"A Love Supreme"

Transcendental album.

Also, asking about sax in prog? Do you not recall King Crimson? 21st Century Schizoid Man is nothing without that sax!

That's sax played in a completely different way to the average "rock" sax solo. I don't even consider it sax in the normal sense.

• Like 1

Earl, I'm gonna harden my heart and say how urgent it is for you to embrace the heart of rock n roll: the saxophone. It's money.
  • Like 3

Hahahaha!! Nice!!!

"A Love Supreme"

Transcendental album.

That's sax played in a completely different way to the average "rock" sax solo. I don't even consider it sax in the normal sense.

That's cuz they got a jazz saxophonist to play on a really weird song where his jazz chops came in handy.

Other great sax rock appearances:

Foregner - Urgent

Bruce - Thunder Road, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Born To Run, Jungleland, and a bunch of stuff on the E Street Shuffle

The Rolling Stones - so many things, but Brown Sugar and B**** can't be beat, also the solo on Waiting For A Friend is phenomenal, I believe by actual jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins

The Beatles - Lady Madonna

Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke, Superstitious, and I believe I Wish

Bob Seger - Turn The Page, Old Time Rock And Roll

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

Pink Floyd - Money, Us & Them, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (talk about memorable)

David Bowie - all over the Ziggy Stardust album, I think also present on Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs, good stuff on Young Americans, and I believe on Station To Station, not to mention the sax toward the end of Low, and the horns on Let's Dance (three saxes and a trumpet), and don't get me started on the crazy avant garde jazz wizardry all over Blackstar on sax, Bowie was actually a sax player in school, and played sax on his own albums many many times.

Thin Lizzy - Dancing In The Moonlight (It's Caught Me In Its Spotlight)

Van Morrison - definitely good sax stuff on the Moondance album

Queen - Action This Day (and One Year Of Love, but that veers dangerously close to elevator jazz)

Billy Joel - You May Be Right, It's Still Rock and Roll To Me, and a few other songs I believe

there's a lot of great sax in rock and roll out there. You can't seriously tell me every one of these songs would be better off without it.

Hahahaha!! Nice!!!

"A Love Supreme"

Transcendental album.

That's cuz they got a jazz saxophonist to play on a really weird song where his jazz chops came in handy.

Foregner - Urgent

Bruce - Thunder Road, Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Born To Run, Jungleland, and a bunch of stuff on the E Street Shuffle

The Rolling Stones - so many things, but Brown Sugar and B**** can't be beat, also the solo on Waiting For A Friend is phenomenal, I believe by actual jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins

Pink Floyd - Money, Us & Them, Shine On You Crazy Diamond (talk about memorable)

David Bowie - all over the Ziggy Stardust album, I think also present on Aladdin Sane and Diamond Dogs, good stuff on Young Americans, and I believe on Station To Station, not to mention the sax toward the end of Low, and the horns on Let's Dance (three saxes and a trumpet), and don't get me started on the crazy avant garde jazz wizardry all over Blackstar on sax, Bowie was actually a sax player in school, and played sax on his own albums many many times.

Queen - Action This Day (and One Year Of Love, but that veers dangerously close to elevator jazz)

Billy Joel - You May Be Right, It's Still Rock and Roll To Me, and a few other songs I believe

there's a lot of great sax in rock and roll out there. You can't seriously tell me every one of these songs would be better off without it.

Action This Day is a synth that sounds like sax in the same way as All She Wants To Do Is Dance. As far as Stones go, I’d add Live With Me, Slave and Neighbors.

• Like 1

Hahahaha!! Nice!!!

"A Love Supreme"

Transcendental album.

Foregner - Urgent

Action This Day is a synth that sounds like sax in the same way as All She Wants To Do Is Dance. As far as Stones go, I’d add Live With Me, Slave and Neighbors.

amazed I didn't know that, but I always thought it sounded very processed or edited, now I know why!

And Neighbors definitely!

• Like 1

It don’t mix with grunge. Room a Thousand Years Wide and Drawing Flies by Soundgarden, I’m looking at you!

I dunno, I find it appealing there. I couldn't see it working in Nirvana though.

• Like 1

Hahahaha!! Nice!!!

"A Love Supreme"

Transcendental album.

Yes! It crossed my mind but I didn't want to be a threading ball hog!!! LOL! Great song. Of course.

• Like 1

It bugged me.

Hmmmmmmmmm..........

Yeah Saxophone doesn't seem to work in rock, even in bands like Supertramp it sounds annoying and weak. I think Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street is the only time it works in a rock song.

Haha! I love this poll thread! I totally agree! I hate Supertramp with a sax, yet Gerry's "Baker" Street" is an amazing classic!!!

• Like 1

Sax in a rock song is like putting a pin in a hot air balloon just before you're about to try and fly over the Atlantic, stupid!

It truly is Pat.

Camel is one of my all time favorite prog bands. I couldn't believe they added a fiuckking sax player. It's like adding the "KISS OF DEATH" to your band.

Love,

DOKKEN

• Like 1

To totally go off on a tangent and it's my thread so I can post whatever I want! Hijacking is always welcome on my threads! WARRIORS BABY!!

Anyway, that was another thing that really annoyed me about SRV And Double Trouble. They were a three piece kick ass blues band.

Then they added a fuckking key"bored" and a sax.

YUCK!

As YES would say....

"LEAVE IT!"

It don’t mix with grunge. Room a Thousand Years Wide and Drawing Flies by Soundgarden, I’m looking at you!

I dunno, I find it appealing there. I couldn't see it working in Nirvana though.

A sax in rock and roll is like putting a hard instrument into a "Moist Vagina." Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Earl, I'm gonna harden my heart and say how urgent it is for you to embrace the heart of rock n roll: the saxophone. It's money.

Money, you say?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0JqC2UDpoE[/media]

Hahaha! You guys are great!! You all crack me up!!

Thank "GOD" there is no saxophone on a Rush record! Ben Mink on electric violin? Oh HELL YES!

"The night has a thousands saxophones so get out there and rock and roll the bones!"

Even that lyric makes my skin crawl.

PURE SHITE

But....

"ROLL THE BONES" > "VAPOR SHILLINGS"