Yanny or Laurel?

Tick

It's both.

Yanni is spoken at a higher pitch than Laurel in the clip, and I'm pretty sure they actually both use some of the same vowel sound as well, just the consonants are pronounced separately. I hear laurel plainly, but I listened very closely and heard the consonants of Yanni at a very high pitched whisper very quiet in the mix of the clip. I imagine if you hear Yanni naturally, you need to listen for a much lower frequency and listen very closely to hear the laurel. The reason different people hear different things has to do with different people's ears. If your ears are more sensitive to lower pitches, you'll hear laurel clearly, and may not be able to hear yanni at all. If your ears hear higher pitches more easily, then it will be the opposite. This is also why children have an easier time hearing Yanni than laurel in the clip than adults, as their ears are more attuned to higher frequencies. I imagine dogs can only hear Yanni as well.

This is my deduction from a bit of back and forth with my friends and some close listening, but I imagine there are a few more detailed explanations already on the web somewhere.

I hear Laurel every time. Not even a hint of Yanny anywhere in there for me. If it's true that this happens because of different frequencies each person hears than that makes sense. All those concerts I've been to over the years have probably changed how my ears hear certain pitches.
  • Like 4

Without knowing anything about this, I was going to drop an obvious Yanni joke, but it's already a thing. Amazing the things that become "things" these days.

https://www.cbsnews....et-controversy/

Oh and, it's "Yanny." How does anyone hear "Laurel" in that sound clip?

They had the guy who made it on the news and he said it's "Laurel" but what one hears is dependent on what device is providing the word.

• Like 1

Yanny....that is all. How can the "Y" sound like the "L" sound. This is messed up. Even the end "anny" sounds nothing like "aurel".
  • Like 1

Without knowing anything about this, I was going to drop an obvious Yanni joke, but it's already a thing. Amazing the things that become "things" these days.

https://www.cbsnews....et-controversy/

Oh and, it's "Yanny." How does anyone hear "Laurel" in that sound clip?

That's funny, because I here Laurel clearly and wonder how anyone can hear Yanni.
  • Like 2

I hear "Laurel".

Pretty clearly, too. But when the higher frequencies are emphasized, Yanni comes through to me, but not as clearly.
  • Like 2

On the Signals release, Digital Man clearly says Analog Kid.
  • Like 2