How do you Rush?

Mike Check

Do you jump to certain songs and skip around the catalog or do you pick an album and let it play? For me, it's the latter. I love hearing how the songs fit together theme wise but I will go to certain albums over and over
  • Like 3

I listen to them like any other band these days. If the mood strikes for something from them I play it. I don't really have a certain way I listen to Rush anymore. Overall I do prefer to hear full albums though. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

I am an obsessive collector, esp with CDs and blu rays ... ( lord help me when I get a turntable again because that'll open a whole 'nother can of worms )

Anyways, when I am in my car, I'll bring CDs and listen to the album all the way though - no skipping around .. That's usually the way to go for me .. but I've got my computer here on the desk at work, and sometimes during the day I'll go to youtube and just pick random songs ... something like a run of Vital Signs, Before And After, Circumstances, Jacob's Ladder

• Like 1

Usually from CD's, in the car and at home. Although of late I'm ripping the discs to my computer in mp3 format, then burning that material to my mp 3 player. The player is the size of a small cell phone and plugs into the car's audio system with a usb cable. I have 10 or so CD's in the player memory, with room for more. The player also has an SD slot to plug in an external memory chip. Helluva lot easier not lugging and storing all those CD's.

Used to listen to Rush Radio in house but most of the time these days on headphones while out walkin, whatever happens to take my fancy.

Did Permanent Waves earlier today, particularly enjoying Neil's percussion in Different Strings

Edited by lifeson90

I might scratch a Rush itch with a few tracks here and there. Usually go full album. Edited by rocket ignites
  • Like 1

With the classic era, 2112-MP, I just let it play through.

With FBN, CA,p/g, Rush, CoS, and Signals, I skip to the good stuff.

With TFE and RTB, I find the good song.

With most of the others, I crank it all the way up to 0.

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 2

I usually listen to the Rush songs randomly on the Bose home theater system, mixed in with all of the songs from all of my favourite cd's. It has a built in external hard drive that let's me play all songs randomly, full albums or artists. I have the option to repeat the track or the entire album continuously.

If that doesn't suffice, I have some mellow vinyl and a 300 watt PA setup for cd's when I want to crank it.

Oh yeah ... a Sony truck cd that I only play burned cd's in and a 160 g ipod.

All Rush all day if I wish.

... sad, I know

• Like 2

Most of the time if I listen to music anymore it’s in my car. I have a lot of albums on my phone and play it through the car stereo.
  • Like 1

I've been obsessed with bootleg shows for awhile

Hard to get time to always listen to a whole show, but listen in order and all the way through one date,then start another one

• Like 2

I usually listen to the Rush songs randomly on the Bose home theater system, mixed in with all of the songs from all of my favourite cd's. It has a built in external hard drive that let's me play all songs randomly, full albums or artists. I have the option to repeat the track or the entire album continuously.

If that doesn't suffice, I have some mellow vinyl and a 300 watt PA setup for cd's when I want to crank it.

... sad, I know

No, I am similar except my equipment is not as good as yours! :LOL:

• Like 1

... sad, I know

Options are a good thing!

Every thing I have is 10-40 plus years old except the ipod and a USB compatible turntable. The 8tracks are kaput.

The RCA Victor Model 711 consol is 1960's. I play the older vinyl on that, even Marty Robbins. It also has am-fm radio and needs no antenna. I have an addiction to collecting old stuff. Oops.

• Like 1

... sad, I know

Every thing I have is 10-40 plus years old except the ipod and a USB compatible turntable. The 8tracks are kaput.

The RCA Victor Model 711 consol is 1960's. I play the older vinyl on that, even Marty Robbins. It also has am-fm radio and needs no antenna. I have an addiction to collecting old stuff. Oops.

That sounds like our house too. We still have a good Pioneer receiver and turntable from the 1970's and some excellent speakers packed away under the stairs somewhere. I finally gave up on that equipment being unpacked and bought some Onkyo stuff from Amazon and some speakers so I could listen to some of my old stuff besides cd's!

• Like 1

Do you jump to certain songs and skip around the catalog or do you pick an album and let it play? For me, it's the latter. I love hearing how the songs fit together theme wise but I will go to certain albums over and over

Never in a YYZillion years will I EVER skip around a Rush record.

I know every album note to note. Front to back.

Even "Vapor Trails."

• Like 3

Unless I really need to hear one song on repeat it's always been albums, but mostly live albums these days. Those I probably haven't listened to Rush in more than a week. There's just so much to get into.
  • Like 2

... sad, I know

That sounds like our house too. We still have a good Pioneer receiver and turntable from the 1970's and some excellent speakers packed away under the stairs somewhere. I finally gave up on that equipment being unpacked and bought some Onkyo stuff from Amazon and some speakers so I could listen to some of my old stuff besides cd's!

I

... sad, I know

I love the sound of my “vintage” stereo gear. When I really want to listen, I use my 39 year old Sansui G9000 that I bought new in 1979 and have played nearly every day since. It’s one of the best “monster receivers” from the late 70s’ and early 80s’. I have it paired with a set of Definitive Technologies BP-8080SST speakers. Every media I play through it from 8-Tracks to Bluetooth sounds truly incredible.

• Like 2

These days I have a playlist that's about 40 songs long that cycles through all the eras. Like an extended concert setlist.

Admittedly, haven't been listening to them as much as I used to. Trying to move on, now that it's all over. But when I get in the mood for them (heh), that playlist is what i go to.

• Like 2

... sad, I know

I

... sad, I know

I love the sound of my “vintage” stereo gear. When I really want to listen, I use my 39 year old Sansui G9000 that I bought new in 1979 and have played nearly every day since. It’s one of the best “monster receivers” from the late 70s’ and early 80s’. I have it paired with a set of Definitive Technologies BP-8080SST speakers. Every media I play through it from 8-Tracks to Bluetooth sounds truly incredible.

I remember when you put up a photo of your setup; it was sweet! When things slow down a little later this summer I hope to dig out our good stuff.

• Like 2

I usually prefer to let an album play through. But, there are some days where I want or crave hearing a certain song, and i will go right to it. So, I'll take the easy way out and say I'm a good mix of both these days.

I suspect this may be very unpopular, especially with fans who prefer the 70's output by the band, but here it goes... As with every single band I like, I create a set of playlists divided by era. If the band has few albums or what I consider weaker output they get fewer playlists. It can be just 1 for the whole career. I have a few rules when making playlists: 1. Eras should make sense, meaning that there should be an attempt for some level of semblance in terms of years or number of albums included in each playlist and good dividers are marked style changes. 2. Playlists for one band must have the same number of tracks per divided playlists. 3. Preference is given to singles and non-album b-sides (latter not relevant to RUSH) when choosing songs on the bubble. 4. Playlists must be 20, 25, 30, 35 or 40 tracks long with preference for 25 or 30 when feasible. I've done 50 and it tends to get muddled. I only use 20 for single playlists because I would go to 40 before splitting to 2 or two 30 song playlists over three 20s. 5. Singles and fan favourites I like should be located in peek positions (2-10 & 2nd to last & last). 6. The last song should sound like an end song and the first should have some sort of interesting intro. The last thing I do is cycle bubble songs in and out as well as refresh the running order to vary up the playlists every few years. Typically this happens when a new album is released, but I do it for dormant bands like RUSH & Queen as well.

For me RUSH exists as FOUR 30 track playlists.

Part I: 1973 to 1981 (Not Fade Away through Moving Pictures)

PartI II: 1982 to 1988 (Signals through Hold Your Fire)

Part III: 1989 to 1998 (Presto through Test For Echo)

Part IV: 2000 to 2014 (My Favourite Headache through Clockwork Angels/Vapor Trails Remixed)

I realize that the inclusion of Geddy's album My Favourite Headache may be sacrilege for many, but I love that album as much as any RUSH album. If Geddy would release another album of equal quality, I would move those songs off RUSH Part IV and make a Geddy 20 song playlist. Part IV would then be reorganized. Part I also presented a problem for me that I have not encountered with other bands, the epic whole record side songs. If I counted those as one track it would skew Part I in terms of length. I decided that if I use any epic with definitive breaks (silence between parts), those pauses would be used to separate the song to individual tracks. You will see this on Part I.

My current RUSH Playlists:

Part I

01. The Spirit Of Radio

02. Tom Sawyer

03. Entre Nous

04. Limelight

05. Circumstances

06. Closer To The Heart

07. Vital Signs

08. Fly By Night

09. Lakeside Park

10. Freewill

11. Cinderella Man

12. A Passage To Bangkok

13. In The Mood

14. By-Tor And The Snow Dog

15. Witch Hunt

16. Different Strings

17. Garden Road (live)

18. Bastille Day

19. Beneath, Between & Behind

20. Not Fade Away

21. Red Barchetta

22. Something For Nothing

23. A Farewell To Kings

24. The Trees

25. Natural Science

26. 2112: I.Overture, II.The Temples of Syrinx

27. 2112: III.Discovery, IV.Presentation

28. 2112: V.Oracle: The Dream

29. 2112: VI.Soliloquy, VII.Grand Finale

30. Working Man

Bubble songs left off: Making Memories, YYZ (was on previous iteration). It was also the only instrumental I've ever put on a playlist.

Part II

01. Force Ten

02. The Big Money

03. New World Man

04. Red Sector A

05. Prime Mover

06. Grand Designs

07. The Body Electric

08. Time Stand Still

09. Territories

10. The Enemy Within

11. The Weapon

12. Second Nature

13. Between The Wheels

14. Losing It

15. Mission

16. Distant Early Warning

17. Manhattan Project

18. Turn The Page

19. Digital Man

20. Red Lenses

21. Open Secrets

22. Middletown Dreams

23. Kid Gloves

24. The Analog Kid

25. High Water

26. Marathon

27. Afterimage

28. Lock And Key

29. Mystic Rhythms

30. Subdivisions

Bubble songs left off: Witch Hunt (live) from A Show Of Hands - This would be done to have the Fear trilogy all on one playlist and remove the studio version from Part I.

Part III

01. Dreamline

02. Presto

03. Nobody's Hero

04. Test For Echo

05. Roll The Bones

06. Show Don't Tell

07. Half The World

08. Stick It Out

09. Ghost Of A Chance

10. The Pass

11. Alien Shore

12. Face Up

13. The Color Of Right

14. Cold Fire

15. Hand Over Fist

16. Totem

17. Neurotica

18. Animate

19. Driven

20. Superconductor

21. You Bet Your Life

22. Resist

23. Red Tide

24. Everyday Glory

25. Virtuality

26. Bravado

27. War Paint

28. Carve Away The Stone

29. Between Sun & Moon

30. Chain Lightning

Bubble songs left off: Double Agent (love the chorus/hate the spoken verses), Time and Motion (was on previous iteration).

Part IV

01. Caravan

02. Far Cry

03. Runaway Train

04. The Wreckers

05. Secret Touch*

06. Workin' Them Angels

07. Working At Perfekt

08. Ghost Rider*

09. The Anarchist

10. The Way The Wind Blows

11. Still

12. The Stars Look Down*

13. Headlong Flight

14. Home On The Strange

15. Ceiling Unlimited*

16. The Present Tense

17. Bravest Face

18. Window To The World

19. How It Is*

20. The Larger Bowl (A Pantoum)

21. My Favourite Headache

22. One Little Victory (Remix)

23. BU2B

24. Moving To Bohemia

25. We Hold On

26. Grace To Grace

27. The Garden

28. Faithless

29. Slipping

30. Nocturne*

Bubble songs left off: The Angels' Share (was on previous iteration), Vapor Trail, Mr. Soul, Spindrift, Armor and Sword, Wish Them Well (was on previous iteration), Halo Effect.

* - From Vapor Trails Remixed.

I guess I should mention that these are encoded to flac (sourced by this guide) and edited if needed (2112 for example) with software. Each album/song is married to artwork that prioritizes single artwork when available above album. Single versions are used when available for those too; for example the versions of Far Cry & Workin' Them Angels from their respective promo singles are a couple of seconds longer than the album counterparts because the sustaining end bit is not cut off by the next song on the album. The playlists are then uploaded to my SONY Walkman Music player that I use for listening on the go and in the car. I will sometimes even hook it up to the home stereo since I prefer the playlists to albums.

Edited by diatribein
  • Like 1