Starter

Red3angel

Signals by the way I didn’t really quit the forum there’s too many cool people on here but anyways I think signals is the best To start a new fan out with. agree?

• Like 1

Depends on the type of music they already like. Rush has a little of everything to use as a starting point. In the case of Signals..only use it if they like Synth driven music
  • Like 2

It depends what kind of musical taste that person has. I wouldn't recommend Signals first if they're not too high on keyboards. Permanent Waves would be my pick for a new fan to hear first. It really is the right mix of what makes Rush great. Plus the album opens with two songs most people might be familiar with if they ever listened to classic rock radio with any regularity. So the listener is comfortable right away. The same with MP. Anyone who is an old school rock fan knows those first four tunes more than likely. So Waves and Pictures would certainly be what I would prefer a potential new Rush fan to try first.

Signals should be somewhere in the middle of the pack for a new fan to try. The album is great but I don't think it defines what the band is for someone who is just starting to take an interest in them.

• Like 3

I started my best friend in high school out with 2112.

2112 became her new favorite song of all time.

Her favorite artists were and still are Billy Joel and Bon Jovi, loves 80s music and musicals.

2112 is the exception to every rule about how to start people on bands. It's sheer awesomeness, epic story, which is strangely accessible and easy to follow, and unique iconic status render it among the easiest Rush songs and albums to fall in love with.

If you're not brave enough to give someone 2112 though, MP is pretty unobjectionable and awesome in its own right. After that I'd say PeW, and then it just comes down to a matter of taste. If they like heavier stuff go back, if they like popier stuff go forward, etc.

• Like 2

I start with Roll the Bones and Snakes and Arrows. When they hate that I tell them it only gets better from there.

You had me going for a second there, :LOL:

• Like 1

Signals by the way I didn’t really quit the forum there’s too many cool people on here but anyways I think signals is the best To start a new fan out with. agree?

I thinks it's maybe one of their most accessible albums, yet it maintains most of the core rock principles of their earlier albums.

I start with Roll the Bones and Snakes and Arrows...

Actually, Snakes and Arrows might not be a bad one to start with, musically. Play select tracks, of course.
  • Like 1

I start with Roll the Bones and Snakes and Arrows. When they hate that I tell them it only gets better from there.

I'm listening to Snakes and Arrows for the first time. If I'd never listened to Rush before..so far this wouldn't do it.
  • Like 3

I'm listening to Snakes and Arrows for the first time. If I'd never listened to Rush before..so far this wouldn't do it.

Yeah if Workin Them Angels was my first track, life would've been very different - like is ok for hardened Rush heads but certainly wouldnt have blown MY skirt up as a kid

• Like 1

Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures collectively have everything Rush does best with no filler at all. If you don't like those two albums you won't like the rest. If you like the longer songs, check out the earlier stuff. If you like the shorter songs, check out the later stuff. No better starting point.
  • Like 8

I actually made a three-volume playlist recently to act as an introduction, with at least one song from every album, a mix of popular songs and deep cuts, each one sequenced like an album and short enough to fit on a CD if you're so inclined. Here's the tracklist:

Vol. 1:

1. Limelight

2. Freewill

3. Ghost of a Chance

4. The Anarchist

5. How it Is

6. Red Sector A

7. The Analog Kid

8. Leave That Thing Alone

9. Middletown Dreams

10. Mission

11. Tom Sawyer

12. By-Tor and the Snow Dog

13. Xanadu

Total time: 1 hour, 16 minutes

Vol. 2:

1. 2112 (complete)

2. Red Barchetta

3. Manhattan Project

4. Ghost Rider

5. The Wreckers

6. Bastille Day

7. Cold Fire

8. Subdivisions

9. The Spirit of Radio

10. La Villa Strangiato

11. Working Man

Total time: 1 hour, 19 minutes

Vol. 3:

1. One Little Victory

2. Time Stand Still

3. Closer to the Heart

4. Natural Science

5. Distant Early Warning

6. The Pass

7. Driven

8. Dreamline

9. The Trees

10. Animate

11. Marathon

12. Far Cry

13. New World Man

14. YYZ

15. The Garden

Total time: 1 hour, 19 minutes

It's not perfect and I'm still tinkering with it but I think it does the job.

• Like 2

Side 1 of Waves does everything for the uninitiated

I mean follow it with side 2 as & if required but -

1/ The Spirit Of Radio

2/ Freewill

3/ Jacob's Ladder

That's where it's all at. Simple, direct and concise. Just three tracks. No messing about. The essence of Rush.

Guaranteed mind blown

Edited by lifeson90

Start with an instrumental, YYZ maybe. Not too long, lets you know the talent you're dealing with. A lot of people dislike the vocals, so let the band shine first. Then they'll give Geddy a chance, if they might otherwise have been put off. Edited by Mosher
  • Like 4

Actually, Snakes and Arrows might not be a bad one to start with, musically. Play select tracks, of course.

Snakes is a great one if they grew up as a Puritan and were forced to listen to tedious 90 minute sermons.

• Like 3

I'd say Snakes too. When I went to watch Rush on their CA tour in 2013 my wife came with me. She'd never really listened to Rush much, so I made her a mix tape of the setlist songs. She fell in love with Far Cry the first time she heard it. She didn't know what the track was called, but her trying to describe to me was quite funny.
  • Like 1

Snakes is a great one if they grew up as a Puritan and were forced to listen to tedious 90 minute sermons.

I was raised a Jehovah's Witness and this album has a fair bit of meaning to me haha