"BIG GENERATOR" By YES: Let's Revisit This Record With A Poll! "Love Will Find A Way!"

"AIM HIGH SHOOT LOW!"  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Does "Big Generator" Make You Aim High Or Does It Make You Shoot Low?

• "Big Generator" Is A POWERHOUSE Of An Album!!
    • "Big Generator" is A BIG MISTAKE!!! Pure Power Pop Flop!!

I put "Big Generator on my iPhone yesterday. It's been years since I've heard the album and I still LOVE IT!

It was one of those albums in the 80's I played over and over again. I put "Invisible Touch" in that same timeframe as I love that Genesis album too.

So two albums by two heavy weight prog bands that went pop, synth and rock.

Do you think "Big Generator" is a classic record or is it pop poop????

I love this album.

I was a big YES fan from Time and a Word until Going for the One. After that... blah, until Big Generator.

Final Eyes is the best YES song of the 80's. :finbar:

Edited by custom55
  • Like 3

I love this album.

I was a big YES fan from Time and a Word until Going for the One. After that... blah, until Big Generator.

Excellent post my friend!! I think this album is totally underrated. I like it better than 90125.

• Like 1

When its good its very good. When its bad its stinko.

Shoot High

Final Eyes

Im Running

Strong as any classic Yes.

Love Will Find

Almost Like Love

Holy Lamb

Should all have been left on the cutting room floor.

So Im halfway in rhe middle here.

• Like 1

I love this album.

Excellent post my friend!! I think this album is totally underrated. I like it better than 90125.

Oddly enough I prefer it to 90125 as well, and by a very wide margin.

• Like 1

I love this album.

i don't really like either but i will say 90125 is way WAY over praised. what a clunker......i really mean it. i played it about a month ago.

i cannot get into it one bit.

Mick

I really like some tracks a lot and others bore me- just like every other Yes album. Certainly it's the logical follow to their massive prior album, and that direction was definitely a radio centered choice, but Yes maintained the ability to both leave me wanting more and wishing I had passed with tracks from the same album.

Which is why the lack of a third option for voting means I can't vote.

I was in my early adolescence for 90125 and BG. They were played a ton, as I was transitioning from a diet consisting of mostly bubble gum rock.

In the years since, 90125 has aged better IMO and while I can still tolerate a listen through BG (did this recently) I would not consider most of it something I would casual listen to today. Changes, Hearts, Hold On, Leave It are all strong songs albeit more pop then anything by Yes prior. But they're good at whatever they put their mind to.

ABWH was another album from that era I played to death, and that's still something I can enjoy today although not very often. The synths sound dated to my ears, it mostly stands thanks to the song writing and variety of styles.

I love this album.

i don't really like either but i will say 90125 is way WAY over praised. what a clunker......i really mean it. i played it about a month ago.

i cannot get into it one bit.

Mick

Neither are masterpieces but I do enjoy BG more. After Drama, I don't really qualify as a Yes fan.

• Like 3

dinnerladies02.jpg

I see your Squire, and I raise you one Howe.

Shit! "Protected Image"

Google "Steve Howe stairlift".

Here's a wizard to help make things better:

http://www.nippertown.com/zeblog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Steve-Howe-Yes-7-6-14-SJP-nt.jpg

Edited by vaportrailer
  • Like 2

I know most prog fans and Yes fans think it's a turd but I was hot on the Yes bandwagon(in a manner of speaking)when it first came out so I've always had a soft spot for it.
  • Like 2

I know most prog fans and Yes fans think it's a turd but I was hot on the Yes bandwagon(in a manner of speaking)when it first came out so I've always had a soft spot for it.

I'd love to hear a live album from this tour.

dinnerladies02.jpg

I see your Squire, and I raise you one Howe.

Shit! "Protected Image"

Google "Steve Howe stairlift".

Here's a wizard to help make things better:

http://www.nippertown.com/zeblog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Steve-Howe-Yes-7-6-14-SJP-nt.jpg

RIP Chris... but it's funny you added Chris to the Golden Girls photo. I was back stage ( literally ) for YES in 2007 at a small theatre in Montclair, NJ called the Wellmont. We met the band and were stage right for the entire show. After the show my buddy said that Chris looked like Maude.

my backstage pass

41127076895_b2f0a7bbd1_m.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

90125 and Big Generator should not have worked on paper, but somehow they really did.

Even more surprising is the fact that neither album sounds dated today.

In fact, quite the opposite, they've held up beautifully.

The same cannot be said with some of their contemporaries.

Love both albums...great one two punch.

• Like 2

Saw the BG tour. f***ing loud! Squire's "Amazing Grace" bass solo withered my xiphoid process. :yes:

Tony Kaye was surprisingly kick-ass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v20/Pebble/Misc/1975-TonyKaye.jpg

"I'm here to kick some ass."

• Like 1