Nick Mason forms a supergroup

custom55

Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason has formed a new band to play Floyd’s early music.

Named Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, after Pink Floyd’s second album, the four-piece group will play their first four shows in London in May. The lineup includes Spandau Ballet’s Gary Kemp, Lee Harris of the Blockheads, bassist Guy Pratt, who took over from Roger Waters in Floyd, and composer Dom Beken, a collaborator with late Floyd keyboardist Rick Wright. Pratt and Beken worked together in the electronic band Transit Kings.

http://www.thesaucerfulofsecrets.com/

• Like 3

Yeah, I heard about this. He will be focusing on material from the first two PF albums. I think the plan is just to play some concerts in the UK though.Hopefully it will be released on dvd at some point.

"Supergroup"? That word gets thrown around a lot and I don't think too many people understand what it means.

What? You don't think Hagar Schon Aaronson Shrieve was a supergroup?

Come on, HSAS did release a charting single...a Procol Harem cover that reached #84.

Wow, I thought N Mason had pretty much retired from drumming. Nice to hear that he's keeping active.

Would love to hear him rip thru "Astronomy Domine" and "Lucifer Sam"!

http://hiresaudiocentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/PINK-FLOYD-GAMES-FOR-MAY-1967.jpg

• Like 2

Wow, I thought N Mason had pretty much retired from drumming. Nice to hear that he's keeping active.

http://hiresaudiocentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/PINK-FLOYD-GAMES-FOR-MAY-1967.jpg

Awesome pic! Never knew Roger used a violin bow.

Interesting that Nick's just now starting this up. Was he holding out hope for a real Floyd reunion all this time and finally gave up?

• Like 1

"Supergroup"? That word gets thrown around a lot and I don't think too many people understand what it means.

Had to look up the last 2 but no, they aren't a Supergroup either and the Wikipedia page now reflects that.

Interesting that Nick's just now starting this up. Was he holding out hope for a real Floyd reunion all this time and finally gave up?

Maybe he is running out of money. His songwriting royalties can't be that much, since his songwriting credits are pretty limited, and the last Floyd tour he did was over 20 years ago, so maybe he needs the money. That is my guess, since this is clearly a cash grab.

Edited by The K Man

Rock "supergroups" are like those elements on the end of the Periodic Table.

They're man-made, and they only last for a very short period of time. ;)

• Like 2

Awesome pic! Never knew Roger used a violin bow.

Nah, he just got tired of playing all those droopy tempos and wanted to try something over 80bpm. :P

Shoulda got Robyn Hitchcock as Syd Barrett. Woulda made it more of a supergroup and less of a supper-group.

• Like 1

Had to look up the last 2 but no, they aren't a Supergroup either and the Wikipedia page now reflects that.

It says they’re a supergroup.

What about Chickenfoot?

Rock "supergroups" are like those elements on the end of the Periodic Table.

They're man-made, and they only last for a very short period of time. ;)

:LOL:

Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason has formed a new band to play Floyd’s early music.

Named Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets, after Pink Floyd’s second album, the four-piece group will play their first four shows in London in May. The lineup includes Spandau Ballet’s Gary Kemp, Lee Harris of the Blockheads, bassist Guy Pratt, who took over from Roger Waters in Floyd, and composer Dom Beken, a collaborator with late Floyd keyboardist Rick Wright. Pratt and Beken worked together in the electronic band Transit Kings.

http://www.thesaucerfulofsecrets.com/

It seems interesting.

We shall see and listen soon. :)