Virtuoso Super Group

Necromancer

Now this could get interesting. Since a lot of folks didn't want to read the rules and posted whoever they wanted in these ficticious bands, here's an easier one. If you could pick ANY player at respective position, from ANY style of rock, who would you pick and why? Only rule is that they be ALIVE and a virtuoso, not just your fave, but someone who is unreal at what they do. This makes it interesting because I couldn't picture a band such as this making it. The ego conflicts would be just too much. But interesting nonetheless.

DRUMS: Hmmmmmmmmmmm... okay... NEIL PEART. Got that one out of the way.

BASS: I'm content to go with Geddy here. As a long ago bass player, i listened to many different styles and other than a guy named Stanley Clark (i think... maybe stanley jordan?), I don't think anyone is better. And besides, Stanley is a jazz player by nature anyhow.

Keys: I'm not the biggest fan of keys, so my pick here is based on a limited knowledge. Hey... i'm just coming up with the thread topic. wink.gif I gotta go with Jonathan Caine from Journey. I'm sure he's not the best, so my pick here is very arguable i'm sure.

Guitars: In a virtuoso band, there would be only one guitar player. The ego involved would never allow a rhythm player. LOL. Now, the most dominant virtuoso player i would have to pick would be Yngwie. I've heard a lot of people mention Allan Holdsworth, but I have never heard him as far as i know, so i can't say. I have never been a huge fan of Yngwie's stuff, but you can't deny the man's talent and ability.

Vocals: Again... not the biggest fan of Yes, but I think John Anderson would be the pick to front a band such as this. His vocal range is off the charts and his overall tone and sound is just beautiful.

Let the picking and the debates begin.

Past/present/dead/alive:

Vocals: Ronnie James Dio

Guitar: Ritchie Blackmore

Bass: Geddy lee

Keyboards: Keith Emerson

Drums: Keith Moon

1022.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 5 2005, 11:08 AM)
Guitar - Steve Vai
Bass - Geddy
Keys - Rick Wakeman
Drums - Danny Carey
Vocals - ??? Need to think about that one...

Ahhh... yes... RICK WAKEMAN. Okay... Caine is out...Wakeman's in.

Wow... didn't think ANYONE would pick someone other than Neil on drums, but if it had to be anyone, i would pick Danny Carey also. The Keith Moon pick... uhhh... again... the rules state he MUST BE ALIVE. Is this not clear??? confused13.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 5 2005, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Oct 5 2005, 12:11 PM)
Guitar - Emppu Vuorinen
Bass - Marco Hietala
Drums - Jukka Nevalainen
Keys - Tuomas Holopainen
Vocals - Tarja Turunen

tongue.gif

C'mon, kazz...give us someone we can pronounce! laugh.gif

Em-poo Vu-or-in-en

Mar-co He-et-ala

Yu-ka Nev-al-I-nen

Two-o-mas Whole-O-Pie-Nen

Tar-ya Ter-u-nen

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 5 2005, 05:38 PM)
... the rules state he MUST BE ALIVE. Is this not clear??? confused13.gif rofl3.gif

Sorry...!

I didn't have time to read the full post as I was at work..

Drums: B]Carl Palmer[/b]

tongue.gif

QUOTE (kazzman @ Oct 5 2005, 05:11 PM)
Guitar - Emppu Vuorinen
Bass - Marco Hietala
Drums - Jukka Nevalainen
Keys - Tuomas Holopainen
Vocals - Tarja Turunen

tongue.gif

Careful Indy isn't about kazz unsure.gif

Guitar - Andy Latimer (Camel)

Bass - Chris Squire

Keyboards - Keith Emerson

Drums - Carl Palmer

Vocals - Jon Anderson

QUOTE (kazzman @ Oct 5 2005, 12:41 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 5 2005, 12:15 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Oct 5 2005, 12:11 PM)
Guitar - Emppu Vuorinen
Bass - Marco Hietala
Drums - Jukka Nevalainen
Keys - Tuomas Holopainen
Vocals - Tarja Turunen

tongue.gif

C'mon, kazz...give us someone we can pronounce! laugh.gif

Em-poo Vu-or-in-en

Mar-co He-et-ala

Yu-ka Nev-al-I-nen

Two-o-mas Whole-O-Pie-Nen

Tar-ya Ter-u-nen

tongue.gif

1022.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Oct 5 2005, 12:43 PM)
QUOTE (kazzman @ Oct 5 2005, 05:11 PM)
Guitar - Emppu Vuorinen
Bass - Marco Hietala
Drums - Jukka Nevalainen
Keys - Tuomas Holopainen
Vocals - Tarja Turunen

tongue.gif

Careful Indy isn't about kazz unsure.gif

Get over it

No seriously, Sorry if I offended you because I don't worship Nightwish. If I knew it hurt your feelings so bad I would have never spoke my opinion about them but I didn't TRASH them or anything so I didn't think it would cause such a problem for you. Like I said if I knew it was going to hurt your feelings so bad I wouldn't have asked a question about them, which I still never got an answer, but oh well. confused13.gif

I'm not really sure what Virtuoso means so I can't answer the question. To me, music is music, all these different clasifications that people argue about confuse me. I say, if they are good musicians and you like them then I clasify them as "kick ass" if not then I let others clasify them lol.

I will look the word up so I will know next time I hear it. I've been around music all my life and never heard the term before. confused13.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Oct 5 2005, 02:29 PM)
I'm not really sure what Virtuoso means so I can't answer the question. To me, music is music, all these different clasifications that people argue about confuse me. I say, if they are good musicians and you like them then I clasify them as "kick ass" if not then I let others clasify them lol.

I will look the word up so I will know next time I hear it. I've been around music all my life and never heard the term before.  confused13.gif

Hmmm... I don't know the exact definition of the word, but it always meant someone who had mastered the thing that they were a virtuoso at. I've always heard it used to describe the best of the best. While someone might be "kick ass" it doesn't necessarily mean he/she is the best of the best. The threads i'm posting are just to while away the time and in no way meant to upset. I have always heard the belief that music is music and there is no classification, but c'mon now. There is such a seperation of music styles and i was curious as to who others would pick for said styles all star teams. This is so prevalent among Metal, my favorite classifications. There are a ton of sub categorizations within that one style it's ridiculous. I haven't even begun to super group all the different styles. LOL. Kazz helped me out with one style and if anyone wants to, feel free to start another. The way it started, was at work we were discussing ASIA, the band from the 80's comprised of ex members of ELP and YES. I thought it would be cool if a new band started today comprised of members of 80's metal bands. That's how it all got started. I seriously wasn't arguing about the different styles, but since there are different styles i had the idea for multiple supergroups so that a lot of different musicians could be discussed. It's proven helpful to me, because i've begun to listen to some of the players mentioned in a new light.

virtuoso

adj : having or revealing supreme mastery or skill; "a consummate artist"; "consummate skill"; "a masterful speaker"; "masterful technique"; "a masterly performance of the sonata"; "a virtuoso performance" [syn: consummate, masterful, masterly, virtuoso(a)] n 1: someone who is dazzlingly skilled in any field [syn: ace, adept, champion, sensation, maven, mavin, genius, hotshot, star, superstar, whiz, whizz, wizard, wiz] 2: a musician who is a consummate master of technique and artistry

source

QUOTE (Led Zeppelin @ Oct 5 2005, 03:55 PM)
Drums: John Bonham-Moby Dick=enough said

Keyboard: Ray Manzarek of the Doors, one of the greatest and least appreciated keyboardists in rock history.

Guitar: Jimi Hendrix

Bass: Flea of Red Hot Chili Peppers

Vocals: Freddy Mercury

Great picks, but two members are dead and in the spirit of the thread, they can't be in a supergroup, though i do have a supergroup pick thread in here entitled the DEAD THREAD. Bonham was my pick for drums there. If you wouldn't mind revising your drums and vocal picks, we'd be appreciative: Thank You: Needless Supergroup Thread Management.

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Oct 5 2005, 11:42 AM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 5 2005, 05:38 PM)
... the rules state he MUST BE ALIVE.  Is this not clear???  confused13.gif  rofl3.gif

Sorry...!

I didn't have time to read the full post as I was at work..

Drums: B]Carl Palmer[/b]

tongue.gif

Ricky, you are far from being the ONLY person to have picked dead people for these supergroups. confused13.gif

I have a DEAD THREAD supergroup pick in here somewhere and that was started mainly because everyone was picking Randy and Cliff for so many bands. The original idea was that the supergroup could be a reality and except on bad FOX tv shows, dead people don't come back to record cd's. It's only a matter of time before i make an ALL ENCOMPASSING supergroup thread. No style, no genre, no restrictions on the living impaired thread. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 5 2005, 04:02 PM)

Keyboard: Ray Manzarek of the Doors, one of the greatest and least appreciated keyboardists in rock history.

Great picks, but two members are dead and in the spirit of the thread, they can't be in a supergroup, though i do have a supergroup pick thread in here entitled the DEAD THREAD. Bonham was my pick for drums there. If you wouldn't mind revising your drums and vocal picks, we'd be appreciative: Thank You: Needless Supergroup Thread Management.

You mean three not two? Or could it be that Jimi is still alive? 1022.gif

QUOTE (tangdog @ Oct 5 2005, 04:08 PM)
QUOTE (Necromancer @ Oct 5 2005, 04:02 PM)

You mean three not two? Or could it be that Jimi is still alive? 1022.gif

OOOOOOOOH! THAT Jimi Hendrix. doh.gif

The Management of Useless SuperGroup Threads stands by it's statement as we thought that he meant James Hendrix of a up and coming bar band out of Wilkes Barre Pa, called the Mufftones. It could happen.

And besides... we're so rolling our eyes every time a dead person is mentioned, it's quite possible to miss ONE. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (ES-335 @ Oct 5 2005, 09:05 PM)
Guitar - Brian May
Bass - Geddy
Keys - Rick Wakeman
Drums - Neil Peart
Vocals - Chris Cornell

If you've ever heard Audioslave, you know that Chris Cornell might as well be dead... sad.gif

Anyways...:

Bass - Tony Levin (Peter Gabriel, King Crimson, LTE, solo)

Guitar - Ron Jarzombek (Spastic Ink, Gordian Knot, solo)

Keys - Jordan Rudess and Rick Wakeman (LTE, Dream Theater, solo) ((Yes)) (((I've ALWAYS wanted to hear what two keyboards in one band would sound like...)))

Drums - Danny Carey (Tool)

Vocals - Cedric Bixler Zavala (At the Drive-In, The Mars Volta)

Archived