YES - Fly From Here : Return Trip .. Trevor Horn And The Full DRAMA Era Lineup

Lucas

I just received Yes' FLY FROM HERE: RETURN TRIP and after one listen, I already love it ..

I was not familiar with the original Fly From Here album they released in 2011 with Benoit David, and after hearing of about Trevor Horn returning to re-record all the vocals, I intentionally avoided listening to the 2011 version ..

Geoff Downes adds: "It's quite amazing what Trevor has done with the album and the way it has turned out. It is most refreshing and adds a whole new dimension to the original recordings from 2011. I think the fans will appreciate it as a genuine sequel to the 'Drama' album, and embrace it as a valuable part of our YES50 celebrations."

Is anyone else interested or planning on getting this all new version ??

It is essentially the Drama lineup - Chirs Squire, Steve Howe, Trevor Horn, Geoff Downes and Alan White - and the 23 minute title track was written by Horn and Downes prior to joining Yes in 1980 ..

The result is incredible IMHO ... Drama is not only one of my favorite Yes albums, it is one of my all-time favorite albums, period ... and while Trevor's voice has aged, it has aged well ..

While I am not usually a fan of going back and tinkering with recording of the past, I think this one is just too good to pass on ... Plus, I love Drama and Return Trip is a wonderful extension of that classic album ..

http://www.blabbermo...horn-on-vocals/

Yes_FFHRT.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Umm ......Trevor Rabin? :)

No Trevor Rabin -- just the Drama lineup in what could have been the follow-up instead of 90125 had they stayed together

Fly From Here has a much more traditional prog vibe than 90125, and is much closer to Going For The One and Tormato as far as natural progression

I am not a big fan of 90125, and aside from some great Jon Anderson moments, Big Generator is one I don't even own ..

This version of Fly From Here is really good

The original was fine. Why would you re-record Benoit David's already great vocal tracks?

Most of Fly From Here was written by Trevor Horn and Downes in 1979, so I think because he wrote it, Horn singing it makes sense

Drama is an album I love, so regardless of when it was done, it's good to hear those five guys on the tracks

I have a problem with erasing Benoit's vocals. Seems like a d*** move.

Well, to be fair, they didn;t exactly erase anything .. Horn just recorded vocals on songs he wrote almost 40 years ago

The Benoit version is still out there and available

• Like 1

I can't imagine different vocals making this album much better. It's a pretty forgettable album, outside of Into the Storm. At least it had one keeper track. I love Yes, but it's sad to see them releasing albums this poor, and even sadder that this was Chris Squire's last.

I can understand why it was done(or rather redone) however, for me personally it's not something I have to jump out and get. My might get it eventually being the Yes completist I am but it's not a high priority. I actually quite like Fly from here(original version). It's not perfect and not one of their best albums(though not among their worst either).
  • Like 1

I can't imagine different vocals making this album much better. It's a pretty forgettable album, outside of Into the Storm. At least it had one keeper track. I love Yes, but it's sad to see them releasing albums this poor, and even sadder that this was Chris Squire's last.

Actually, technically speaking Squires last was Heaven and Earth. I think I know what you mean though but there's nothing recorded here that wasn't recorded by Squire that didn't appear on FFH.

• Like 1

Actually, technically speaking Squires last was Heaven and Earth. I think I know what you mean though but there's nothing recorded here that wasn't recorded by Squire that didn't appear on FFH.

What???? :)

Well, to be fair, they didn;t exactly erase anything .. Horn just recorded vocals on songs he wrote almost 40 years ago

Not that I am a big fan of Benoit. Just seems disrespectful to his work. And I do have the original. And if they really wanted Horn on the album they should have simply done so at the time.

• Like 1

What???? :)

Do I seriously have to explain this? Ok, maybe I just worded it in a very awkward way.

What I mean here is that I'm sure the bass parts are the same as the original FFH.

Not that I am a big fan of Benoit. Just seems disrespectful to his work. And I do have the original. And if they really wanted Horn on the album they should have simply done so at the time.

Well, yes and no for me. I don't see a problem with having two versions but why not have them both released at the same time instead of waiting five years.

• Like 1

Well, yes and no for me. I don't see a problem with having two versions but why not have them both released at the same time instead of waiting five years.

The timing is suspect I suppose. Its like -- why now?