I Give up

Red3angel

Close to a masterpiece,

Get rid of the dreadful Witch Hunt and you got a masterpiece.

oh my gosh somebody else who dislikes which Hunt, lol

and honestly i don't like the last 2 tracks on the album.

8/10 for me.

Mick

You can hear them changing directions while still making the album. They were moving from their prog past on Camera Eye and Witch Hunt, writing crunchy radio hits like Limelight, and laying down the ground work for their next album on Vital Signs. Then they topped it off with Tom Sawyer. Hard not to love it. Even if it's played to death. There is a reason it's universally accepted as their top achievement.

A fairly steep run-up to the peak and then a long, slow descent down on the other side.

I can understand this perspective on the album.

I initially regarded Camera Eye as boring repetitive filler (but later came to love it,which I've written about on TRF in the past). A lot of people never got into it.

I loved Witch Hunt from the first time I heard it (even considered it my favorite Rush song for a time), but know a lot of Rush fans who hate it and I can understand why it wouldn't appeal to everyone.

I've never liked Vital Signs, though think the ending is OK.

A lot of people find side 2 underwhelming.

• Like 3

Witchhunt lyrics are completely about our current political climate

And the climate on campus, even more so.

I find side 2 transcendent, on par with side 1. My only criticism is that I wish TCE built more quickly.

But Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are perfect.

They made more good music on side 2 of MP than in the however many years between (and including) PoW and VT.

Edited by laughedatbytime

Man I hate to be captain obvious but moving pictures Jesus it’s like everything rush condensed into one small album. It’s ridiculously good

Well, to be honest, it's the album that kicked off the dreaded synth era, so I'd go with Rush's first 80's album Permanent Waves.

Dreaded? Nah.

• Like 2

Witchhunt lyrics are completely about our current political climate

And the climate on campus, even more so.

I find side 2 transcendent, on par with side 1. My only criticism is that I wish TCE built more quickly.

But Witch Hunt and Vital Signs are perfect.

They made more good music on side 2 of MP than in the however many years between (and including) PoW and VT.

I'd have to disagree that side 2 is on par with side 1, which is probably the best side of an album ever. I agree with your last line. After Signals, they didn't release anything better than anything on side 2 until Far Cry.

• Like 2

Close to a masterpiece,

I always loved Witch Hunt, but I can understand why it wouldn't appeal to everyone. The only song on the album I never cared for is Vital Signs (the ending is OK but most of it sounds to me like Rush channelling Super Tramp).

I think "Witch Hunt" is a perfect melding of lyrics and music. The mood is perfect. The concept is perfectly executed.

• Like 3

Over the years I was with the majority and loved the album except for the last two songs. But now my band has decided to do the entire Moving Pictures "album" for marketing purposes... Come see Ultimate Rush featuring all of the greatest Rush songs fro 1976- 1983 (including the full Moving Pictures album) So within the last two weeks I have been learning these two songs and man they are way harder to play correctly then they seem. Alex does some great chords phrasings and fingerings in both and some of the timing issues are challenging. I now have a new appreciation for these songs which actually raise my overall rating of the album.

Get rid of the dreadful Witch Hunt and you got ......

..... a huge number of pissed off fans!

• Like 1

The only problem with "Witch Hunt" is it's too short. Just when it seems to really be taking off, it ends. And I especially never understood why they didn't stretch out Alex's outro solo when playing it live. Could've given the song an epic ending, similar to his extended soaring leads on "Mission" and "Bravado".

But back to main topic, MP was indeed never topped and wouldn't have been even if there'd been ten more albums. Perfect storm of creativity, musicianship, chemistry and producer.

• Like 1

Man I hate to be captain obvious but moving pictures Jesus it’s like everything rush condensed into one small album. It’s ridiculously good

Well, to be honest, it's the album that kicked off the dreaded synth era, so I'd go with Rush's first 80's album Permanent Waves.

Dreaded? Nah.

I remember when I first listened to Rush I hated the synth albums...

My things have changed!

Close to a masterpiece,

I always loved Witch Hunt, but I can understand why it wouldn't appeal to everyone. The only song on the album I never cared for is Vital Signs (the ending is OK but most of it sounds to me like Rush channelling Super Tramp).

I think "Witch Hunt" is a perfect melding of lyrics and music. The mood is perfect. The concept is perfectly executed.

It gives me shivers every time! My favourite song off the album, followed by Limelight and Red Bachhetta

Like Mick, I'm not big on Witch Hunt.

The first time I listened to MP, I was actually mostly disappointed with side two. I'd heard most of side one before, bar Red Barchetta, which was of course glorious, but TCE took mr forever to get into at all, and Witch Hunt didn't really impress me much, and it still doesn't really. Now unlike some, I've always loved Vital Signs. That's the song that saved the side for me and my first listening experience. Its jittery, nerdy, tense funky rises and falls I found immediately appealing.

Side one is one of those perfect album sides, which Rush had a number of, but never really on the same album. 2112 Side 1, AFTK side 1, PeW side 1, and MP side 1 are all flawless, and I'm biased as heck towards side 2 of AFTK as well, and I can see the argument for side 2 of Hems.

it's my go-to album to recommend to people who wanna get into rush.
  • Like 2

Many arguments could be made for this album and its tracks.

'Pictures' is the biggest classic by Rush, bar none(2112 is the second one). MP is an album that can be found in collection of many people who are not big Rush fans.

It's a very accessible album to a wider audience of music fans and it's essential.

To me Moving Pictures is a great album, but not a perfection. I think Vital Signs is a closing track that musically doesn't fit in very well with other 6 tracks on MP, it's a bit quirky for the material of this album and it sounds like a second-rate The Police song. I consider most tracks on Signals and P/G to be superior than VS.

Witch Hunt is sublime, it has a great atmosphere and lyrics.

Edited by Texas King

Many arguments could be made for this album and its tracks.

'Pictures' is the biggest classic by Rush, bar none(2112 is the second one). MP is an album that can be found in collection of many people who are not big Rush fans.

It's a very accessible album to a wider audience of music fans and it's essential.

To me Moving Pictures is a great album, but not a perfection. I think Vital Signs is a closing track that musically doesn't fit in very well with other 6 tracks on MP, it's a bit quirky for the material of this album and it sounds like a second-rate The Police song. I consider most tracks on Signals and P/G to be superior than VS.

Witch Hunt is sublime, it has a great atmosphere and lyrics.

Side 1 is song sequence perfection

Vital Signs when considering the next studio record, is the perfect album closer. Next album they indeed deviated from the norm. I think VS would have fit in quite nicely on Signals, swap it out with Countdown and you have a much better record