I Give up

Red3angel

Man I hate to be captain obvious but moving pictures Jesus it’s like everything rush condensed into one small album. It’s ridiculously good

Well, to be honest, it's the album that kicked off the dreaded synth era, so I'd go with Rush's first 80's album Permanent Waves.

• Like 5

I love Moving Pictures, but it is a Rush album so what’s not to love. The Camera Eye is a musical masterpiece.

You need to raise your standards. It is the weakest song over 7 minutes in their catalog.

Edited by edhunter

You can hear them changing directions while still making the album. They were moving from their prog past on Camera Eye and Witch Hunt, writing crunchy radio hits like Limelight, and laying down the ground work for their next album on Vital Signs. Then they topped it off with Tom Sawyer. Hard not to love it. Even if it's played to death. There is a reason it's universally accepted as their top achievement.
  • Like 1

You can hear them changing directions while still making the album. They were moving from their prog past on Camera Eye and Witch Hunt, writing crunchy radio hits like Limelight, and laying down the ground work for their next album on Vital Signs. Then they topped it off with Tom Sawyer. Hard not to love it. Even if it's played to death. There is a reason it's universally accepted as their top achievement.

A fairly steep run-up to the peak and then a long, slow descent down on the other side.

• Like 3

A testament to Moving Pictures greatness is that among Rush fanatics, you'll most likely get the biggest variation of opinions of which track is their favorite - every song has that potential ..

Over time, Vital Signs has secured it's spot with me as one of my all time favorites - it's my fave from MP

• Like 4

A fairly steep run-up to the peak and then a long, slow descent down on the other side.

Or, one side of excellent material, a lengthy last stab at writing an epic in the middle, and two fair (by MP standards) tracks at the end? I like CE, but its not their strongest epic.

Edited by Wil1972

Or, one side of excellent material, a lengthy last stab at writing an epic in the middle, and two fair (by MP standards) tracks at the end? I like CE, but its not their strongest epic.

No, I'm talking about Rush's entire cannon. From the debut to MP (their top achievement) was just seven glorious years, compared to the 30+ years that came after.

• Like 1

No, I'm talking about Rush's entire cannon. From the debut to MP (their top achievement) was just seven glorious years, compared to the 30+ years that came after.

Ahhhh. :oops: Gotcha! OK well on that we can agree for the most part. :cheers: Although I think VT and CA are strong(er) late career high points. PoW was the last great album though to me. CP comes close.

• Like 1

So what's this Moving Pictures album you speak of? Did they release another album after Permanent Waves?

Sincerely,

Stuck in the cave for years with the found 2112 guitar.

Us diehards who post on message boards are really into the obscure parts of their catalog but sometimes there's a reason an album is a band's biggest. As OP says, it's every element of Rush on one album in its best form. Hard rock, synths, an epic, some short radio songs, a crazy technically complex instrumental, it's all there. If someone doesn't like this album, they're not going to like Rush.
  • Like 5

Did they let ACDC borrow their cannon to For Those About to Rock?

Because MP may have been the last time they actually rocked.

• Like 1

Close to a masterpiece,

Get rid of the dreadful Witch Hunt and you got a masterpiece.

I always loved Witch Hunt, but I can understand why it wouldn't appeal to everyone. The only song on the album I never cared for is Vital Signs (the ending is OK but most of it sounds to me like Rush channelling Super Tramp).

• Like 1

So I’m late to the party yet find witch hunt to be the best song on the album. Irony

Same!