WHY, KEVIN J. ANDERSON?!?

oghond2112

I just listened to the Clockwork Angels audiobook for the first time. I had read the book and had repeatedly thought that Albion (the city the protagonist hails from) was pronounced exactly as it was spelled, “ahl-bee-ON.”

Nope. It’s “ahl-bee-IN.”

My life is a lie. This is “pert”/“peert” all over again. (Ironic, ‘cause guess who reads the Clockwork Angels audiobook?)

• Like 2

But at least it’s not as bad as Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (which, yes, is a REAL place name, and yes, is a place name I can say).
  • Like 1

But at least it’s not as bad as Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (which, yes, is a REAL place name, and yes, is a place name I can say).

Sounds like a place in Wales.

http://fantasyhandbook.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/kjaphoto.jpg

You just KNOW that he has every Star Trek uniform in his closet ready to wear at the next convention.

Also, you can bet that he’s fluent in Klingon and Wookie.

AND he’s proud of all of those things!

• Like 2

Sounds like a place in Wales.

It is.

I just listened to the Clockwork Angels audiobook for the first time. I had read the book and had repeatedly thought that Albion (the city the protagonist hails from) was pronounced exactly as it was spelled, “ahl-bee-ON.”

Nope. It’s “ahl-bee-IN.”

My life is a lie. This is “pert”/“peert” all over again. (Ironic, ‘cause guess who reads the Clockwork Angels audiobook?)

Love the thread title, oghond2112! :LOL: Why indeed...

There's an 'Albion Road' in my area, and most people tend to pronounce it "ahl-bee-on", unless they're in a rush (ahem) and then it becomes "ahl-bee-un".

Other than that, did you enjoy the audiobook? I heard somewhere (here? Amazon review?) that NP read it in an almost unwavering monotone...

Fun fact: KJA's wife, Bonita, has a crystal ball addiction.

Moesta-crystal-ball-sm.jpg?resize=300%2C250

"I see I've lost my dignity. And credibility."

Nope. It’s “ahl-bee-IN.”

There's an 'Albion Road' in my area, and most people tend to pronounce it "ahl-bee-on", unless they're in a rush (ahem) and then it becomes "ahl-bee-un".

Other than that, did you enjoy the audiobook? I heard somewhere (here? Amazon review?) that NP read it in an almost unwavering monotone...

I loved it!! NP sounded awesome!

• Like 1

Nope. It’s “ahl-bee-IN.”

By the way, did you happen to check out the thread I sent to you?

KJ Anderson forever exiled himself from my reading list after I (barely) made it through his HORRIBLE additions to the Dune series. Worst prose I have ever read.
  • Like 1

KJ Anderson forever exiled himself from my reading list after I (barely) made it through his HORRIBLE additions to the Dune series. Worst prose I have ever read.

You got further than me...I just couldn't bring myself to finish it.....I agree, the crappiest prose i have had the misfortune to read in a long time.

• Like 1

You got further than me...I just couldn't bring myself to finish it.....I agree, the crappiest prose i have had the misfortune to read in a long time.

As I invested so much time and emotional energy into the original series, I forced myself to get to the end. I needed closure to the saga of Paul and Chani. I figured that it would be a happy ending for them.

What a shame that Frank Herbert's magnificent story was hijacked and butchered. :(

• Like 1

Nope. It’s “ahl-bee-IN.”

http://i2.wp.com/www.wordfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Moesta-crystal-ball-sm.jpg?resize=300%2C250

This isn’t the first time you’ve posted that pic!

It’s an ad for an even cheesier kind of Scientologist cult headed by Kevin J and Mrs. Kevin J.

http://fantasyhandbook.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/kjaphoto.jpg

What a c***......

It’s only passable IF he’s posing like that as a joke.

But you know he’s not.

Yup....that's why he's a c***.

For the record, I love Kevin J. Anderson’s writing and don’t know why you are all hating on him.

He may have written some good books, but the only ones I've read were horrible. Even the best writers have flops, just like great bands put out the occasional bad album.

• Like 1

For the record, I love Kevin J. Anderson’s writing and don’t know why you are all hating on him.

He may have written some good books, but the only ones I've read were horrible. Even the best writers have flops, just like great bands put out the occasional bad album.

Kevin J. Anderson is a hack. Lazy, puerile, his dialog reads like a bad 6th grade play. His book version of Clockwork Angels is a work of literary buffoonery that I still, to this day, can't believe made it to publishing let alone sanctioned by Neil himself. He's just a seriously horrible writer. But, unfortunately, there are a lot of writers out there that despite not being particularly talented at writing, have published many books and maintain a steady fan base. God only knows why. :eyeroll:

• Like 2

....there are a lot of writers out there that despite not being particularly talented at writing, have published many books and maintain a steady fan base.

It's no different than the pop music, TV shows, and films of today. Most of it is mediocre or worse.

• Like 1

Kevin J. Anderson is a hack. Lazy, puerile, his dialog reads like a bad 6th grade play. His book version of Clockwork Angels is a work of literary buffoonery that I still, to this day, can't believe made it to publishing let alone sanctioned by Neil himself. He's just a seriously horrible writer. But, unfortunately, there are a lot of writers out there that despite not being particularly talented at writing, have published many books and maintain a steady fan base. God only knows why. :eyeroll:

The mediocre intellect of the masses is why. If you want to sell books, you go to where the largest audience is.

• Like 1

Nope. It’s “ahl-bee-IN.”

By the way, did you happen to check out the thread I sent to you?

Yes'm! And thanks for the 'thanks' btw! :cheers:

If you enjoyed Clockwork Angels, you might enjoy the book it was based on - "Candide" by Voltaire.

Back cover blurb:

Candide is the story of a gentle man who, though pummeled and slapped in every direction by fate, clings desperately to the belief that he lives in "the best of all possible worlds".

"...a savage, satiric thrust at the philosophical optimism that proclaims that all disaster and human suffering is part of a benevolent cosmic plan. Fast, funny, often outrageous...alive with wit, brilliance, and graceful storytelling..."

http://candideblog.weebly.com/uploads/1/5/0/7/15071902/363033623.jpg

• Like 1