Rank the Ozzy Solo Albums

I've been on an Ozzy solo/Black Sabbath binge of late. Here's how I rank his solo efforts right now:

1. Blizzard of Ozz. It's really a flawless album. Even No Bone Movies. It noses out Diary only because its high points are just a touch higher.

2. Diary of a Madman. No down moments on this one either.

3. No More Tears. Until this latest binge I had forgotten how much I love I Don't Want to Change the World. The best of the Zakk Wylde albums IMO.

4. Bark at the Moon. Jake E. Lee's debut. A couple of the tunes, So Tired and You're No Different are a little weak, but overall it's a great album.

5. No Rest for the Wicked. Zakk's debut with Ozzy brought a little more of a hard edge back to the band after . . .

6. The Ultimate Sin. Ozzy in full on hair metal mode at this point.

7. Ozzmosis. It's at this point that Ozzy's solo work starts to blend together for me. Still, if you like Ozzy, and I do, you can enjoy it for what it is.

8. Down to Earth. Like Ozzmosis, there's nothing on here I hate, but there's nothing on here that I would call great unless I'm listening to it.

9 Scream. There's a bit of an industrial vibe to this album. Gus G isn't as interesting as Zakk to me.

10. Black Rain. Why is this last? I don't know. It easily could be number 7. And that's sort of the problem for these last 4 albums.

1. Blizzard of Ozz

2. Diary of a Madman

3. Bark at the Moon

4. The Ultimate Sin

5. No Rest For the Wicked

6. No More Tears

The other albums are so far behind I'd need a few pages of blank space in order to include them.

• Like 1

Blizzard Of Ozz

Diary Of A Madman

No More Tears

The Ultimate Sin

No Rest For The Wicked

Bark At The Moon

Down To Earth

Ozzmosis

Black Rain

Scream

I have no problem with anything from Blizzard through Down To Earth actually. Black Rain and Scream i've only heard once each and I thought my cat could write better albums.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

1. Blizzard of Ozz

2. Diary of a Madman

3. Bark at the Moon

4. The Ultimate Sin

6. No More Tears

The other albums are so far behind I'd need a few pages of blank space in order to include them.

So chronological order.

• Like 1

Blizzard Of Ozz

Diary Of A Madman

No More Tears

The Ultimate Sin

No Rest For The Wicked

Bark At The Moon

Down To Earth

Ozzmosis

Black Rain

Scream

I have no problem with anything from Blizzard through Down To Earth actually. Black Rain and Scream i've only heard once each and I thought my cat could write better albums.

I listened to Black Rain today. It's actually better than I remembered. That might be a binge bump though.

1. Blizzard of Ozz

2. Diary of a Madman

3. Bark at the Moon

4. The Ultimate Sin

6. No More Tears

So chronological order.

Yeah I suppose for me Ozzy's albums gradually got weaker.

Mind you Diary sometimes takes top spot from Blizzard.

Diary now reigns just from over-exposure to Diary, which probably means that Diary deserves the spot.

1. Blizzard of Ozz

2. Diary of A Madman

3. Ultimate Sin

4. No Rest For The Wicked

5. Bark At The Moon

6. No More Tears

7. Ozzmosis

8. Down To Earth

9. Scream (I haven't heard it, but it has to be better than Black Rain)

10. Black Turd

I've only heard Blizzard and Diary, but I'll vouch for Diary at the top spot. Seems more consistent, and with more flow.

tribute

speak of the devil

blizzard

diary

What are you, 50? :D

I can't fit all my music on my iPod, so I have to pare it down to accommodate whatever I'm binging on. These 4 are the constant Ozzy albums, though. Plus the live disc of the Diary deluxe edition.

At this moment all of Ozzy's studio albums are on there. In a few days it will be back to these 4.

SotD is so much more vibrant than Live Evil (which I also love). Ozzy really stuck it to Sabbath with that one.

tribute

speak of the devil

blizzard

diary

I can't fit all my music on my iPod, so I have to pare it down to accommodate whatever I'm binging on. These 4 are the constant Ozzy albums, though. Plus the live disc of the Diary deluxe edition.

At this moment all of Ozzy's studio albums are on there. In a few days it will be back to these 4.

SotD is so much more vibrant than Live Evil (which I also love). Ozzy really stuck it to Sabbath with that one.

I might be. I own them all on cassette, no shit! I've never even seen a cd copy of speak of the devil

live evil's killer but there's something about the production that bothers me. there are better documents of that era of sabbath.

1. Blizzard of Ozz

2. Diary of a Madman

3. Bark at the Moon

4. The Ultimate Sin

6. No More Tears

So chronological order.

Haha. Blizzard killed it. Afterwards...

Edited by tangy

tribute

speak of the devil

blizzard

diary

Ha! I still remember picking up the SotD record from the rack when it was brand new (back in the days when there was no web and you often didn't know in advance what albums were coming out), looking it over and thinking "WTF"! Ozzy's puking up jelly or something? What the hell kind of cover shot is that? And what the hell are all these songs? Where's "Mr. Crowley"??? I was actually disappointed, but bought it anyway.

Yeah, I started out as an Ozzy solo fan and only knew the few Sabbath tunes that he was playing in his solo set. So SotD was my introduction to a whole other musical world, and of course it led to seeking out all the original recordings. And what a freakin revelation that was. To this day, the original Sabbath/Ozzy run of albums is still my all-time favorite era by any band (and Tony Iommi my all-time favorite guitarist).

I agree SotD sounds more lively than LE, but the obviously overdubbed Ozzy vocals hold it back a bit for me. His band sounds great on it though, especially Aldridge on drums (total powerhouse rendition of SotU). Musically, LE is superior, but whoever decided to almost completely fade out the audience is an idiot. Sounds like they are down the block watching a different show.

Ah, the glory days of hard rock and metal! Good times, good memories. :)

Edited by TexMike