Funny Vibe

Solace Of You

Nothingness

Go Away

Memories Can't Wait

Time's Up

Elvis Is Dead

:haz: :haz:

Memories can't wait one of best covers ever!

I'm a huge fan of Living Colour, and despite the opinions of many here I think their material from this century is as good or better than their material from the last century.

djflex is correct, btw. Their cover of Memories Can't Wait is one of the best covers I've ever heard.

I have too many faves to list, but I ask that you give a chance to the first half of Collideoscope, and all of their newest album as well as the rest of the catalog.

And I actually think listening to them in order makes sense, because you really get a sense of their evolution.

They do metal, punk, funk, and soul equally well. Their influences are diverse, and their odder experiments are always worth the listen.

My youngest kid is a particular fan of the beautiful 'Flying' off of Collide.

A short list of faves off the top of my head (2 per album not counting comps)

Glamour Boys

Desperate People

Information Overload

Solace of You

Memories Can't Wait (live)

Money Talks

Nothingness

Auslander

Operation Mind Control

In Your Name

Young Man

Behind the Sun

Glass Teeth

Two Sides

But there's a lot to offer on every album.

Almost certainly, my favorite debut album of all time!

Lost track of them in the 90s after their third album which I thought was just so so.

Vivid: A+++++

Time’s Up: B+

Stain: C

Forgot to add: They were awesome live when I saw them back on the Time’s Up tour. I’d easily see them again if they came around.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

I wasn't too fond of Stain. Heavy, which is awesome, but not sure the songs are there. Kinda cliche of a band trying to tap a bit into the en vogue early 90s shift. Lyrics are pretty heavy-handed too. Debut is incredible and the latest, Shade, is pretty damn awesome. Great diversity on that record.

I have Time's Up and A Chair In The Doorway on order now.

• Like 1

I loved Vivid and Time's up - Will Calhoun exploded into my drummer's mind, combining groove, metal, and funk elements that were missing from most of the heavy music of that day (the ham-handed no-funk approach of Metallica or other thrashers). Tim "Herb" Alexander and Jerry Gaskill were others that inspired me in the same way and were innovators of that style; they combined these elements in such a unique way - I know Will inspired so many others because within a couple years, most mainstream heavy music followed similar groove oriented approach. I had seen them live a couple times in New York in the Vivid era and really loved their sound.

However, a couple isolated events soured my interest in the band - first in mind is a concert I attended at my university at the beginning of the Time's Up tour. The Gulf War had just started - the band expressed several political opinions that were unpopular with half of the crowd (I remember Muzz getting everybody to say "No Blood For Oil"; then things progressed into "f**k the flag" etc.) Things got out of hand quickly. Security was overwhelmed, the crowd started dismantling the seats and stacking them. The band left the stage and came back a couple times. At some point the singer said "f**k you" to some comment from the crowd and they left the stage for good. While I certainly had some of my own opinions about the war, I felt like the band was stupid for picking this fight the way that they did - they basically created the atmosphere. I was let down that we got half a show.

Second in my mind was some drum fest (Zildjian day?) that Neil and Will played at. I had heard stories, and later heard a recording, where Will totally show-boated and played over Neil in a very un-cool way. This was a disappointment and for him to dis my all-time drum hero left a bad taste in my mouth. Will is certainly very talented, and I have no doubt he could play circles around Neil in certain styles - but I have always viewed events such as this (drum shows) to be about the fraternity of drummers and celebration of the various talents and creativity- definitely not a "who can shred more" competition. Anyway, left a bad taste.

Fast forward to Stain - I didn't vibe with it. It didn't stay in my rotation and I was probably getting into all sorts of different music at that stage. Thus, Living Colour sorta froze in my interest to that point. I've been aware that they've put out new albums - I am curious - but really just haven't had the motivation to make time to check them out. Even now, I've got such limited listening time and so many albums piled up that I want to absorb. Perhaps one day... Cool to hear that some people dig the newer stuff too.

• Like 2

Fast forward to Stain - I didn't vibe with it. It didn't stay in my rotation and I was probably getting into all sorts of different music at that stage. Thus, Living Colour sorta froze in my interest to that point. I've been aware that they've put out new albums - I am curious - but really just haven't had the motivation to make time to check them out. Even now, I've got such limited listening time and so many albums piled up that I want to absorb. Perhaps one day... Cool to hear that some people dig the newer stuff too.

If I can listen to Metallica (f^&% Lars), you can find it in your heart to give LC a second chance. Especially Stain, it's heavy in all the right ways and ends up covering some issues that make it relevant to this day.

• Like 1

I was really into Living Colour and bought the first 3 albums. Some great songs for sure.

I'm with cygnify in that I'm kind of froze in my interest with LC. I'll have to check out their work post-Stain...but I'm not overly motivated these days.

Only their latest one (Shade) has repeat listen caliber material for me, I know others can find something worth salvaging in the middling albums but for me they stopped with Stain and picked back up with Shade.
  • Like 1

Loved the first two albums, but not much interest beyond that. Vernon can shred, but he's kind of a one dimensional shredder. Edited by HemiBeers

Someday I'll meet another human being who thinks the first half of Collidescope is as brilliant as I do.

But I can't whine that people aren't giving LC a fair chance, because everyone loves Shade.

Someday I'll meet another human being who thinks the first half of Collidescope is as brilliant as I do.

But I can't whine that people aren't giving LC a fair chance, because everyone loves Shade.

I like them all including the live albums. I've seen them three of four times too, most recently last fall. I think the stuff after Stain gets over looked. The sound is it is a bit different, but it's unmistakably Living Colour.