Ch-ch-ch-changes... to FREEWILL IN 2112

oghond2112

That's right! My RUSH-based musical, Freewill in 2112, will be updated yet again, but this time, with some BIG changes...

Most notably- you remember KOKGNAB? The arrogant, third-person speaking, alien leader and delegate of the Solar Federation? Yeah- he's no longer the main antagonist. But that doesn't mean "Tom Sawyer" is gone, nor is KOKGNAB.

So, who's the new antagonist? The monarchy- who happen to ACTUALLY BE THE BNK RACE, disguised as humans. Specifically, the new main antagonist is the current monarch, NETECROF, who takes on KOKGNAB's original personality. KOKGNAB, who is the complete OPPOSITE of what he was before (he is now a complete buffoon), is now his second-in-command, disguised as the "archduke" of Hilltop, CT. Meaning now it's NETECROF who is the "modern-day warrior."

But there's still the elephant in the room: how does this whole monarchy system work now?

Back when the monarchy were actually people, the system was your average hierarchy. But now that they're aliens (and no one knows it), the monarchy works a bit differently. The BNK race get a bit more information behind them to explain how the monarchy was able to churn out (mostly) perfectly obedient people in a span of 50 years: they are shapeshifters who can take any form they desire, and they reproduce asexually- even when shapeshifted. How do they explain this? "The monarchy marries early." They disguise it as sexual reproduction, when it isn't. As for the method at which they created mostly obedient people? Simple: they're just that good at it.

Now, how does this change the plot and songs?

Surprisingly, not all that much. The New World visit still happens; many of the songs are still kept intact (the only song to be added in is "Between the Wheels"); the main characters still exist; and the basic plot is practically the same. However, there are some major changes as well, which I'll get to later. For now, what do you think of the change in antagonist and the new twist?

It sounds like you've been hard at work on the show! It sounds like the change in antagonist should work well, you have a good set up for it.

Thank you! :) Yep, I've been hard at work thinking of new plot changes, since I read Draft 2 of the script and realized it still needed a lot of work...

By the way, here's another major plot change: Barchy's android heritage.

As you may know, in the original drafts of Freewill in 2112, Barchy is fully aware that he is an android and keeps it a secret from the monarchy. In this version? Not only is he completely unaware that he is an android, but he doesn't remember anything about his life as B-CYGNUS-68. His makers made him to look and act like a human, with the ability to "age" and shapeshift at will, yet he doesn't know he's an android. To him, he's human. He knows the monarchy is hunting him, but he doesn't know why. So guess how he reacts when his 100-year power supply runs out and he is transformed into his own Barchetta?

He's confused as heck, but thinks it's the coolest thing ever. Cue "Fly By Night," per the usual.

Of course, he finds out he's an android when the monarchy confronts him for it. Then- and only then- is "The Body Electric" sung, having been moved all the way to Act Two. And, as you might expect, he's stunned.

• Like 1

By the way, I'm questioning what I should do with the opening. Should I leave in the narration, or do an entire opening scene telling the story of the invasion which segues into "Closer to the Heart"?

"Between the Wheels" is out. "Beneath, Between, and Behind" is back, and takes place after "Fly By Night." It's now a solo sung by KOKGNAB, as he reflects on how America used to be. NOTE: there are differences between that, "A Farewell to Kings," and "Limelight," even though they all (in context) sound like "Bring back the America I used to know."

WHAT "LIMELIGHT" IS SAYING (in context): "Our citizens have been blinded by all these laws and oppression. They don't see how the monarchy is destroying their lives."

WHAT "A FAREWELL TO KINGS" IS SAYING (in context): "What happened to freewill, and how will we be seen by people in the future?"

WHAT "BENEATH, BETWEEN, AND BEHIND" IS SAYING (in context): "America wasn't like this."

In short: "Limelight" is saying "our citizens suck," "A Farewell to Kings" is saying "our government sucks," and "BBB" is saying "our country sucks... but it didn't use to."

Edited by oghond2112

By the way, I'm questioning what I should do with the opening. Should I leave in the narration, or do an entire opening scene telling the story of the invasion which segues into "Closer to the Heart"?

I like the narration idea. :)

Thanks!!! :) But I’ve been thinking about it, and I figure that Barchy’s narration would be... a bit too boring. The musical is geared towards RUSH fans, and I’m pretty convinced they’d like to see action on stage. So during 2112’s overture, an entirely seperate scene will be playing, and then at the end of that scene, Barchy will enter, do his short narration, and then cue “Closer to the Heart.”

• Like 1

Thanks!!! :) But I’ve been thinking about it, and I figure that Barchy’s narration would be... a bit too boring. The musical is geared towards RUSH fans, and I’m pretty convinced they’d like to see action on stage. So during 2112’s overture, an entirely seperate scene will be playing, and then at the end of that scene, Barchy will enter, do his short narration, and then cue “Closer to the Heart.”

And by the way, here’s what every single song is saying, in the show’s context:

ACT ONE

Closer to the Heart: "These are the rules here. And I hate the rules."

Working Man: "Apparently, this is my destiny now. How fun."

Tom Sawyer: "Let's enslave all our citizens and stroke our egos while doing it! What could possibly go wrong?"

Limelight: "Our citizens suck."

Fly By Night: "Let's raise an army and go to a new dimension together! YAAAAAAAY!"

Beneath, Between, and Behind: "America wasn't like this."

New World Man: "THOMAS GENALSIKOFF IS OUR SAVIOR!"

The Spirit of Radio: "Music is awesome, and here's why!"

ACT TWO

Red Sector A: "We can't say it, but we hate this whole slavery thing."

Entre Nous: "Best friends forever, la la la la la~!"

A Farewell to Kings: "Our government sucks."

Something For Nothing: "You want to be free? Then free yourselves."

The Body Electric: "Oh my god... I'm an android... My life is a lie..."

The Pass: "Is this really what you want, Samuel? Or do you want to be free?"

Freewill: "I can't believe it took us this long to realize our government sucks, but... OUR GOVERNMENT SUCKS!"

Red Barchetta: "Don't you remember all the fun times we had together?! Please don't die!"

Anthem: "And the moral of the story is... don't obey oppressive governments."

• Like 1

And by the way, here’s what every single song is saying, in the show’s context:

ACT ONE

Closer to the Heart: "These are the rules here. And I hate the rules."

Working Man: "Apparently, this is my destiny now. How fun."

Tom Sawyer: "Let's enslave all our citizens and stroke our egos while doing it! What could possibly go wrong?"

Limelight: "Our citizens suck."

Fly By Night: "Let's raise an army and go to a new dimension together! YAAAAAAAY!"

Beneath, Between, and Behind: "America wasn't like this."

New World Man: "THOMAS GENALSIKOFF IS OUR SAVIOR!"

The Spirit of Radio: "Music is awesome, and here's why!"

ACT TWO

Red Sector A: "We can't say it, but we hate this whole slavery thing."

Entre Nous: "Best friends forever, la la la la la~!"

A Farewell to Kings: "Our government sucks."

Something For Nothing: "You want to be free? Then free yourselves."

The Body Electric: "Oh my god... I'm an android... My life is a lie..."

The Pass: "Is this really what you want, Samuel? Or do you want to be free?"

Freewill: "I can't believe it took us this long to realize our government sucks, but... OUR GOVERNMENT SUCKS!"

Red Barchetta: "Don't you remember all the fun times we had together?! Please don't die!"

Anthem: "And the moral of the story is... don't obey oppressive governments."

Was it funny?

By the way, you know how the Motor Law says the citizens work from 9 to 5?

That was originally 9 in the morning to 5 IN THE MORNING THE NEXT DAY. Obviously, this would give them no time for sleep, so it was changed to a regular 9-5 regimen. That and “Working Man.” This is the schedule of every single American citizen come 2112:

7:00 AM: Wake up

7:01-9:00 AM: Read book of laws and entire Motor Law, eat breakfast

9:00 AM-5:00 PM: Work

5:00-8:29 PM: Eat dinner, go through religious regiments, pray to Chruddist gods, read bible

8:30 PM: Go to bed

Note that nowhere does it say “enjoy yourself” or “watch TV” or “have any fun at all.”

AND THE CITIZENS ARE PERFECTLY OKAY WITH THIS.

No wonder there are Genalsikoffs.

That was originally 9 in the morning to 5 IN THE MORNING THE NEXT DAY. Obviously, this would give them no time for sleep, so it was changed to a regular 9-5 regimen. That and “Working Man.” This is the schedule of every single American citizen come 2112:

5:00-8:29 PM: Eat dinner, go through religious regiments, pray to Chruddist gods, read bible

Note that nowhere does it say “enjoy yourself” or “watch TV” or “have any fun at all.”

And since there are no stoves, ovens, or stores, you know how the citizens get their food? Kill animals, plant crops, and take them home. And they have to eat with their fingers, because there are no forks or knives.

And since there are no stoves, ovens, or stores, you know how the citizens get their food? Kill animals, plant crops, and take them home. And they have to eat with their fingers, because there are no forks or knives.

And all their houses are brick and mortar.