Mac computers

Mike Check

What's the view of them on here? At the risk of getting kicked out..I gotta say I hate them. Or maybe it's that so many people get them and then don't know how to use them.

They used to be a symbol of something unique or maybe even part of a counterculture, but now they're just overpriced boxes that have the same innards, Intel processors, and basic OS as a Linux or Windows machine. But, Apple says they are possibly going to start making their own processors so who knows how that will work out.

Why the hate for mac ?

When I was working ( now retired from IT ), I spent 10+ hours a day on both platforms. Both have pros/cons but I'm on mac 100% now for personal use.

My issue with windows was the non-stop weekly patching. We'd apply patches ( mostly security related ) every single weekend and too often the server or apps on the server would not come up after apply the patch... and I'd get called at all hours. :rage: Anyway that all in the past.

• Like 2

Why the hate for mac ?

When I was working ( now retired from IT ), I spent 10+ hours a day on both platforms. Both have pros/cons but I'm on mac 100% now for personal use.

My issue with windows was the non-stop weekly patching. We'd apply patches ( mostly security related ) every single weekend and too often the server or apps on the server would not come up after apply the patch... and I'd get called at all hours. :rage: Anyway that all in the past.

Gotta agree with Custom! We have always had a Mac at home and I like the freedom from patches and from most viruses. Plus one daughter was always doing art stuff and for a long time the Mac platform supported the most art/graphics stuff.

Whilst Apple products are way overpriced I absolutely hate Windows OS. I find macOS far more intuitive whereas Windows seems designed to frustrate and annoy. And all those f***ing updates... Edited by Tony R
  • Like 1

Why the hate for mac ?

My IT Windows update horror story.

12 years or so ago, I'm the one person IT department. Come in on a Saturday morning when everything is quiet to do some service pack patches on the servers. Start the service patch on the Exchange email server while I enjoy my coffee. Blue bar gets stuck for a while...hmm...then BSOD. Shit...reboot and see what the damage is. Except the Raid controller blew up during the service patch. Double Shit. Lost entire Raid arrays. Call Dell, 3 service visits and 4 days later I finally get another Raid controller that works.

Glad I'm just responsible for applications and support for a division and not server/networking shit these days. Call IS...hey internet isn't working for these sites....fix it stat please. *snicker* That used to be me having to fix it. Where I work now has 1000 employees and a significant portion of some of the IS personnel is to manage Microsoft patches on the WSUS server, patch server or whatever they call it these days. God that must be boring AF.

Oh back to the subject at hand..Macs. Yeahhhhh, don't use them. Windows...cheap screens of icons. Apples....expensive screen of icons. Cheap always wins with me. I got a $10 Smartphone, a $200 laptop and DGAF...it works.

Edited by HemiBeers

Why the hate for mac ?

12 years or so ago, I'm the one person IT department. Come in on a Saturday morning when everything is quiet to do some service pack patches on the servers. Start the service patch on the Exchange email server while I enjoy my coffee. Blue bar gets stuck for a while...hmm...then BSOD. Shit...reboot and see what the damage is. Except the Raid controller blew up during the service patch. Double Shit. Lost entire Raid arrays. Call Dell, 3 service visits and 4 days later I finally get another Raid controller that works.

Glad I'm just responsible for applications and support for a division and not server/networking shit these days. Call IS...hey internet isn't working for these sites....fix it stat please. *snicker* That used to be me having to fix it. Where I work now has 1000 employees and a significant portion of some of the IS personnel is to manage Microsoft patches on the WSUS server, patch server or whatever they call it these days. God that must be boring AF.

Oh back to the subject at hand..Macs. Yeahhhhh, don't use them. Windows...cheap screens of icons. Apples....expensive screen of icons. Cheap always wins with me. I got a $10 Smartphone, a $200 laptop and DGAF...it works.

Have they or you suggested a Linux based server?

Why the hate for mac ?

Have they or you suggested a Linux based server?

Nope I left that job within a year after that. They eliminated my job because they thought I didn't have enough to do. :LOL: Then they realized soon after that I did a lot more important stuff than they knew about and had to bring in another IT guy. Ooops.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

My 10-year-old MacBook Pro is starting to die. It's stopped reading disks about a year ago and now isn't communicating so well with Word, as well as revving its little engine every once in a while. Maybe ladybugs have crawled into it. :huh:

I'll definitely get another one. They were a little more expensive, but I've never had any sort of trouble with mine, certainly no major issues, although the latest iTunes update was unnecessary and lame and pissed me off for 2 days. :wtf: fists%20crying.gif

Because of my iPhone and iPad experiences, I bought a Mac Mini 2014. I had been using Windows for years and thought I would try and fit a Mac into my workflow. It didn’t work out so well. Now I am stuck with a bacically new Mac Mini that I’ve been trying to sell for about 6 months.