Led Zeppelin How The West Was Won vs The Complete BBC Sessions. Which one should I get?

YYZumbi

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these two should I get?

• How The West Was Won
    • The Complete BBC Sessions

So I want to buy one of these Led Zeppelin reissues on vinyl record. I have both the How The West Was Won 2003 CD version and the BBC Sessions 1997 CD version, but now I want to get one of the remastered vinyl record versions. And I need your guys help to decide which one I should get! I know I will get the other one at some later point, but I only afford one right now (I don't really afford it, but what you gonna do. Music is life, right? ;) ).

I have to be honest, I have not listened to any of these a lot of times. ...West... I have maybe listened to 3 or 4 times since I got it a year ago. BBC, I got years ago, listened to it once, and then I put it away, no idea why. And then just a few days ago, I rediscovered it, and now I have listened to it like 3 times.

I have to say I am not a hardcore Led Zeppelin fan. I mean, I have all their studio records on vinyl record (all except for LZ III, Physical Graffiti and Coda, I will get them when I find original pressing in good quality) and I have listened to the band from time to time since I was a kid. But just this recent month, I have gone Led Zeppelin crazy and listened to their music a lot! So I want to get more of their music.

So which one do you guys think I should get first?

I would go with the The Complete BBC Sessions - if for no other reason, it is earlier recordings and shows the band before How The West Was Won ..

When in doubt, go chronologically

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 3

I would go with the The Complete BBC Sessions - if for no other reason, it is earlier recordings and shows the band before How The West Was Won ..

Thank you for being the only one answering my thread!

• Like 1

I agree with Lucas actually!!

• Like 2

I agree with Lucas actually!!

Great, then its 2 on BBC!

• Like 1

BBC Sessions, without a doubt. Captures the band right when they hit their live performance peak in absolutely perfect form. Plus there's no studio overdubbing, which really takes away the feel from HTWWW

BBC Sessions, without a doubt. Captures the band right when they hit their live performance peak in absolutely perfect form. Plus there's no studio overdubbing, which really takes away the feel from HTWWW

Is it studio overdubbing on ...West...? :o

There is, yes.

There is, yes.

It's no big deal. Happens all the time.

There is, yes.

It's no big deal. Happens all the time.

I much prefer to hear live albums as they were recorded. Besides, it's not like Page didn't have every LZ show recorded to multitrack tapes. He easily could have pulled from another show instead of overdubbing.

If you like the 20 minutes versions of Whole Lotta Love, Moby, Dick, and Dazed and Confused, you might want to go with HTWWW. Otherwise, BBC is better recording, better selection, better performances and more interesting historically.