Live audience clapping on 'The Spirit of Radio' - sampled from Max Webster concert

RushFanForever

Hello I'm aware that a few RUSH fans may know (and other's perhaps not) that the live audience clapping on 'The Spirit Of Radio' is sampled from a Max Webster concert. I gave this a brief mention last year here.

This is mentioned below by Kim Mitchell from the 5:40 to 8:35 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6liCtOdEho&t=5m40s

An archived tour date (posted here) on MaxWebsterLive.ca confirms the above.

Max Webster released a live album titled 'Live Magnetic Air' which is probably where the similar 'live audience clapping' sample would be of course.

In the interview where the brief subject of 'royalties' came up; considering that Anthem Records released 'Live Magnetic Air' (with both bands sharing the same label), it probably isn't that much of a big deal really.

After all, Rush probably never received any royalties from the 'Battle Scar' collaboration.

To me, I think it's just friendly band brotherhood bartering with helping the other in a musical sense.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 8

Royalties from Battle Scar? My guess is that they didn't even get Musician Union rates for the day. Hey they were helping out their kid brother - the wheels were coming off the Max Machine and Rush were trying to help out.

Hey Superconductor, there is a fella named Sir GH that has been uploading a truckload of Max Webster shows on the Dime. His most recent is a March 1976 soundboard recorded in Toronto at Larry's Hideaway - pure gold.

And that 8 disc set is great too if you don't have it yet, it's well worth it We finally get the KM EP on cd as well as a disc of live/unreleased material.

• Like 1