• Van Halen - Van Halen
    • Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
    • The Number Of The Beast - Iron Maiden
    • London Calling - The Clash
    • Permanent Waves - Rush
    • Hemispheres - Rush
    • Led Zeppelin IV - Led Zeppelin
    • Abbey Road - The Beatles
    • The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars - David Bowie
    • Animals - Pink Floyd

I finally thought hard about it...and yeah, I don't like anything else on here as much as AFTK, not even Quad, CTTE, Abbey Road, or Zoso. Now, if Queen II had made it this far, I really wouldn't be able to decide.
  • Like 3

Sigh. It's not even one of my 5 favorite Rush albums.

Sorry about Paranoid. Honestly this poll is kind of all over the place. I'm all for AFTK winning myself, but I know there are more fans of Hems, MP, and PeW on this forum that AFTK.

Agree on the overrated Clash angle. I can still appreciate them and enjoy the occasional listen but I don’t think their music has aged as well as a “great” band’s music should. They were the “Ah, Bach!” band of the early ‘80s — you had to like them even if you didn’t; now they seem more like P.D.Q. Bach at times. Favorite track on London Calling is the packaged pop final track Train in Vain; apart from always catchy Rudy Can’t Fail I don’t really care about the rest.

I love every minute of London Calling. It's held up as well as any classic rock album.

All this talk about London Calling without anyone mentioning (i don't think it was mentioned) the best song on the album....Brand New Cadillac!!

Sorry about Paranoid. Honestly this poll is kind of all over the place. I'm all for AFTK winning myself, but I know there are more fans of Hems, MP, and PeW on this forum that AFTK.

It's a Rush board, so them winning is not surprising. But this does sort of illustrate my entirely subjective view that AFTK is a really overrated (by the fan base) album. Some pretty iconic albums, including from Rush, that lost to it.

Agreed. Fanbois switched, I guess.

#lolmadrigal

Fanbois to the rescue!

Love, #7

A Farewell to Sanity.
  • Like 2

It's a Rush board, so them winning is not surprising. But this does sort of illustrate my entirely subjective view that AFTK is a really overrated (by the fan base) album. Some pretty iconic albums, including from Rush, that lost to it.

You had a chance to nominate HYF a while ago, so kwitcherwhining.

I think this whole poll idea and results is just an deliberate ruse to get goose to leave TRF.

And it's so crazy, it just might work. Cue Mark-Paul Gosselar.

Ruse. Ruse, dammit. I hate spellcheck...

Edited by laughedatbytime

You had a chance to nominate HYF a while ago, so kwitcherwhining.

I think this whole poll idea and results is just an deliberate rise to get goose to leave TRF.

And it's so crazy, it just might work. Cue Mark-Paul Gosselar.

:syrinx:

• Like 1

How can an album as great as AFTK be overrated???
  • Like 2

Outside of Xanadu, none of the songs do much for me. Cygnus in particular is often unlistenable. I know that is heresy to many.

#lolmadrigal

Fanbois to the rescue!

Love, #7

A Farewell to Sanity.

Change your vote! Like i did just see if i could assuming the tally was final.

All these years and i never figured out you could change your vote. Too funny.

Outside of Xanadu, none of the songs do much for me. Cygnus in particular is often unlistenable. I know that is heresy to many.

I love it start to finish. The beginning of cygnus is my strongest memory of my first show.

That said its truly a product of it time. its steeped in a groovy misty flavor.

Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

I love it start to finish. The beginning of cygnus is my strongest memory of my first show.

That said its truly a product of it time. its steeped in a groovy misty flavor.

Your mileage may vary.

I dug cygnus 1 when they played it as an instrumental on one of the later tours. Album version grates.
  • Like 2

#lolmadrigal

Wait, hang on, ... did someone mention switching votes ??

How soon we forget !!

170px-JimmyPage2.jpg

Here's the deal:

1) A Farewell To Kings - my introduction to the band, as this was the first song I ever heard from them .. No need to rehash the long winded story about how I snuck out to the family room one fateful Saturday night in 1977, tuned into Don Kirschner's Rock Concert only to wake up the next day with life as I knew it forever changed ..

2) Xanadu - does this one really need an explanation ??

3) Closer To The Heart - the band's first legit "single" .. an absolute gem that personified all of what is great about the band - including the underlying geekiness that stood so proud next to the metal heart of this evolving rock and roll band

4) Cinderella Man - as is the case with Tears and Different Strings, Cinderella Man is a fantastic Geddy penned side two cut whose only fault, really, are the monsters that walk along side it

5) Madrigal - Madrigal could be looked at as a stand alone, or, as the uncredited lead in to the greatest song ever recorded .. I see it as a haunting, underrated little piece that never fails to send shivers - whether is be the ear test synth intro, or the unforgettable when all around is madness . . . .. I love the song

6) Cygnus X1 - for me, there is no other song that defines Rush more than Cygnus X1 .. Everything is tossed in, from the swirling narration to Geddy's all time vocals, a perfect break down from Alex and The Professor on fire ... Cygnus comes directly from outer space and resides in the tombs of The Great Pyramid .. GOAT

A FAREWELL TO KINGS

• Like 3

"A Farewell To Kings - my introduction to the band, as this was the first song I ever heard from them .. No need to rehash the long winded story about how I snuck out to the family room one fateful Saturday night in 1977, tuned into Don Kirschner's Rock Concert only to wake up the next day with life as I knew it forever changed .."

Funny, I was watching that same Don Kirschner's, about half a country away. Well really, the show was on in the kitchen and I was playing sock hockey in the living room (I really do remember it that clearly). I heard the opening notes of AFTK (I had the album, having been introduced to Rush via ATWAS by the big bro) and went running in disbelief. Couldn't believe it. If it had been the Xanadu video, I would have had a stroke; AFTK nearly did it.

Edited by Rutlefan