RICK BEATO BREAKS DOWN OUR FAVORITE SONGS TRACK BY TRACK

So I've been following this guy's channel for the past week or so, and it seems like every few days he puts out a new video where he takes a classic song and breaks it down track by track (he somehow has access to recordings of each individual track) and analyzes what makes it great. Since he finally just got around to doing his first Rush song tonight, I've decided to make a thread about his channel here:

That's his Closer To The Heart video, and imo he misses a bunch of amazing bits in the song, but only because it's Rush and there's an amazing but going on like every couple seconds. The video would probably be an hour long if he went over the awesomeness of every single fill.

Some other good videos he's done have been for Soundgarden (Spoonman), Pearl Jam (Jeremy), Boston (Hitch A Ride), Alice In Chains (Them Bones), Tool (Schism), A Perfect Circle (Judith), Foo Fighters (Everlong), and Nirvana (On A Plain).

This guy is seriously good. For you music theory nerds out there he knows his stuff. For you music technicians and gear nerds he knows his stuff. And for the average music listening nerd like myself, he knows his stuff. Check out his other videos, but definitely watch the Rush one. Hoping for Queen soon.

• Like 3

He also did "Everything Little Thing She Does Is Magic" by The Police and "Kid Charlamange" by Steely Dan. I was especially intrigued by "Kid Charlamange" and really enjoyed the video.

I wish he would have spent more time breaking down the song, rather than impressing us with the fact that he can play the first solo note for note. But if you pay attention, you do get to see the chords as they go by, and he teaches some pretty useful stuff.

Definitely going to have to check out "Hitch a Ride" as it is my favorite Boston song. I learned most of the guitar parts way back when, and would love to get back into playing along with the track.

Thanks for the thread!

• Like 3

I've been following Rick for a few months now. He's a very likable guy, a true fan of music, and a VERY knowledgeable musician/producer/engineer. I see a lot of my production instincts and enthusiasm in him, so I guess I relate on a few levels. However, he towers over me and I suspect many others in playing ability and ear.

The Rush 'why is this song great' must be new, I haven't checked Youtube (yet) today. Looking forward to it. "Hitch a Ride" was a good breakdown, but I think there is better Boston material even from that same album. It's his channel and time, he gets to choose. :P

Being that he's something of an industry insider, I can only assume he's getting transfers of some type from the masters in order to have the discrete tracks he's using in the video. Must be nice! Just more proof he's a high caliber person, otherwise he would never be allowed access to these things in the first place.

I enjoyed the recent Tool song breakdown. There was more complexity there than I even realized as a long time fan.

• Like 3

Also worth mentioning is his Jeremy (Pearl Jam) breakdown, as there were instruments (stringed) buried in the mix I didn't even realize were there, as well as the untangling of guitar parts to reveal just how interesting sections of the song were from a theory standpoint.
  • Like 1