Calling all synth haters

Red3angel

Tomato soup poured into a bread bowl with cheese on top of it isn't pizza.

Mock Chicago style pizza all you want but at least it won't seamlessly fit into stories like these...

(The scene: A cocktail party in Georgetown on a Saturday night. An elegant well dressed woman approaches a man holding a gin and tonic. Chamber music is playing in the background.)

Woman, introducing herself: Hi, I'm Valerie Winthrop des Rochers, and you?

Man: My name is Backer. Rick N. Backer, or Richard Nelson Backer.

VWdR: Nice to have the pleasure of your acquaintance, What do you do, Mr. Backer?

RNB: I'm a lawyer, and you?

VWdR: My husband (gestures to a man holding another conversation) James is counsel to the chief lobbyist for the National Association of Roofers. He's here to assist regarding getting a tax break through for roofers who use American tar and nails.

RNB (feigning interest): Oh, that's interesting. This is quite the party.

VWdR: Yes, I love soirees like this. James says it's something to look forward to after a long week of lobbying. At least being here in DC means we don't have to associate with any of those roofers. They call themselves "entreprenuers" (chuckles), but they couldn't even qualify for a second rate B school like Wharton (incredulous chuckle). Oh well, I guess these pearls (clutches pearls) don't pay for themselves. But enough about that, Claire (the hostess) went all out with these hors d'oeuvres. The pate' is divine but the cheese and crackers is out of this world.

RNB: (trying to figure out what she means by the cheese and crackers until he figures it out). Oh, you mean the New York style pizza?

VWdR: (shuddering) Please. It's cheese and crackers. Calling it pizza makes it seem just so (her tone turns disparaging) ethnic.

RNB: (tries to think of a response. Just then he realizes that the chamber orchestra is playing Second Nature) Well, the food is great but the music is even better.

VWdR: Yes, isn't it? This is Second Nature by Rush. Quite beautiful in its innocuousness. I'm so glad that Peart ended his association with that ghastly Rand person. I guess everyone goes through stages. (Chuckles dismissively) If the next song they play is Mission I swear this be the event of the winter. Well, so glad to have met your acquaintance. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

RNB: Thanks, good conversation, Hold Your Fire, and cheese and crackers, what's not to enjoy....

(Chamber orchestra segues from Second Nature to Longer Than by Dan Fogelberg)

That was brilliant. We need more of this. Much much more.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words, but to revive a cliche, friends don't let friends eat bad pizza. I couldn't just sit around and let RNB continue to consume cheese and crackers when the tasty delight of Chicago style pizza is within reach.

And I hate to bring Aquinas and one of the principles of "just war" theory into play here but there is a reasonable chance of success with RNB. It's not like JR, where his love for the synth era and frequent consumption of cigars means that in matters of taste probably any meaningful intervention would fall on deaf, synth loving (but I repeat myself) ears. RNB already understands the concept of blandness and how it applies to music with his disdain for PoW and HYF yet for some reason he has no trouble with tastelessness when it comes to pizza. Maybe it's because being from the Eastern seaboard he's loathe to admit the Midwest has produced a product of such quality that it puts that region to shame. He certainly can't have tried both and considered NY style superior. Maybe like Peart admitted in Mission, he's just given up having truly good things and big dreams and settled for mediocrity in the middle of his life. There's something there that's recoverable, though. I'm not ready giving up trying to find it.

Love the humor, disagree on the pizza though :)

et tu, Lerxtus?

ETA: Can we at least agree that PoW and HYF are snoozefests that betrayed the promise, energy, and resolve shown in the Classic era?

Edited by laughedatbytime
  • Like 1

Mock Chicago style pizza all you want but at least it won't seamlessly fit into stories like these...

(The scene: A cocktail party in Georgetown on a Saturday night. An elegant well dressed woman approaches a man holding a gin and tonic. Chamber music is playing in the background.)

VWdR: Nice to have the pleasure of your acquaintance, What do you do, Mr. Backer?

VWdR: My husband (gestures to a man holding another conversation) James is counsel to the chief lobbyist for the National Association of Roofers. He's here to assist regarding getting a tax break through for roofers who use American tar and nails.

VWdR: Yes, I love soirees like this. James says it's something to look forward to after a long week of lobbying. At least being here in DC means we don't have to associate with any of those roofers. They call themselves "entreprenuers" (chuckles), but they couldn't even qualify for a second rate B school like Wharton (incredulous chuckle). Oh well, I guess these pearls (clutches pearls) don't pay for themselves. But enough about that, Claire (the hostess) went all out with these hors d'oeuvres. The pate' is divine but the cheese and crackers is out of this world.

RNB: (trying to figure out what she means by the cheese and crackers until he figures it out). Oh, you mean the New York style pizza?

VWdR: (shuddering) Please. It's cheese and crackers. Calling it pizza makes it seem just so (her tone turns disparaging) ethnic.

RNB: (tries to think of a response. Just then he realizes that the chamber orchestra is playing Second Nature) Well, the food is great but the music is even better.

VWdR: Yes, isn't it? This is Second Nature by Rush. Quite beautiful in its innocuousness. I'm so glad that Peart ended his association with that ghastly Rand person. I guess everyone goes through stages. (Chuckles dismissively) If the next song they play is Mission I swear this be the event of the winter. Well, so glad to have met your acquaintance. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

RNB: Thanks, good conversation, Hold Your Fire, and cheese and crackers, what's not to enjoy....

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words, but to revive a cliche, friends don't let friends eat bad pizza. I couldn't just sit around and let RNB continue to consume cheese and crackers when the tasty delight of Chicago style pizza is within reach.

And I hate to bring Aquinas and one of the principles of "just war" theory into play here but there is a reasonable chance of success with RNB. It's not like JR, where his love for the synth era and frequent consumption of cigars means that in matters of taste probably any meaningful intervention would fall on deaf, synth loving (but I repeat myself) ears. RNB already understands the concept of blandness and how it applies to music with his disdain for PoW and HYF yet for some reason he has no trouble with tastelessness when it comes to pizza. Maybe it's because being from the Eastern seaboard he's loathe to admit the Midwest has produced a product of such quality that it puts that region to shame. He certainly can't have tried both and considered NY style superior. Maybe like Peart admitted in Mission, he's just given up having truly good things and big dreams and settled for mediocrity in the middle of his life. There's something there that's recoverable, though. I'm not ready giving up trying to find it.

I literally laughed out loud.

• Like 1

et tu, Lerxtus?

ETA: Can we at least agree that PoW and HYF are snoozefests that betrayed the promise, energy, and resolve shown in the Classic era?

Chicago pizza is over rated. PoW is a great album. Nuff said.

Rush - mp = goldfinger/ thunderball Connery

Sig- hyf = dalton

Presto t4e = Bronsan

Cp - ca = Craig

Feedback = George Lazenby

OHMSS is one of the best Bond movies! Lazenby is cruelly under rated as Bond.

Have you seen the documentary on him becoming Bond? It is brilliant!

Sig- hyf = dalton

Presto t4e = Bronsan

Cp - ca = Craig

I haven't. I have read a lot of how he got the role, but never saw that. Thanks.

Sig- hyf = dalton

Presto t4e = Bronsan

Cp - ca = Craig

I haven't. I have read a lot of how he got the role, but never saw that. Thanks.

"Becoming Bond". I saw it on Hulu. Lazenby is hilarious. Edited by goose

et tu, Lerxtus?

Chicago pizza is over rated. PoW is a great album. Nuff said.

Who put a sprinkle of cinnamon in your tapioca?

Sig- hyf = dalton

Presto t4e = Bronsan

Cp - ca = Craig