Texas King

Who is a KEY member of Rush?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Who is a KEY member of Rush?

• Neil Peart
    • Geddy Lee
    • Alex Lifeson
    • No way I could tell that.

You mean if I had to pick one, who would be the key member?

It's not Rush without all three of them, not by a long shot, but if I had to choose I'd say Geddy is the glue that holds the heart (Alex) and the mind (Neil) together. Y'all did realize Hemispheres is a concept album about the band itself right? :P :LOL:

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2

From what I can tell it's probably Geddy. I've read stuff about him being very meticulous about every aspect of the song writing process. He's the one who kind of puts all the pieces in their proper places with the music.

Also, playing bass, keyboards and singing live. How many other people have done that with the great consistency he has? Neil turned the tide immensely when he joined and Alex is one of the greatest guitarist ever. But I don't think the band accomplishes what they did musically if Geddy wasn't there to make sure everything was taken care of in their songs.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Alex.

He mainly created RUSH

But Neil also all the lyrics Make RUSH Great

Also Geddy What a voice

All of them I would never be able to pick

Love them all. :Alex: :geddy: :Neil:

• Like 1

Alex...no question. Geddy can scream and yodel all he wants. No signatures riffs and power chords, no Rush...

You're assuming Alex wrote all the guitar parts. Those arpeggios are all Alex, and probably most of the chord progressions. But Geddy is a riff guy, and I'm willing to bet he came up with many of those.

• Like 3

This is a tough one. I love Al's guitar work. but to honest.....i think if Rush Didn't have Ged's bass playing. i don't think this band would be NEARLY as exciting to me.

it was between Ged and Al. Ged wins.

His vocals are for another discussion, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 3

if I had to pick one it's Ged ... no high pitched sort of weird voice and I really think Rush would have fizzled out before they got out of gymnasiums .. I actually have that same opinion about Led Zeppelin ... what can I say ... I used to sing a little .. I'm biased haha
  • Like 1

Alex...no question. Geddy can scream and yodel all he wants. No signatures riffs and power chords, no Rush...

You're assuming Alex wrote all the guitar parts. Those arpeggios are all Alex, and probably most of the chord progressions. But Geddy is a riff guy, and I'm willing to bet he came up with many of those.

Certainly Geddy helped write tunes and riffs (he is quoted as the one coming up with the intro to Closer to the Heart). Whatever riffs Geddy wrote, I'm sure Alex's musical energy, feel and style made them his....

Besides, we still have the monster solos in The Necromancer (or anything off of ATWAS)

...no killer solos, no song :D

Some might argue: TERRY BROWN

Honestly though...

Like...

PoW and CA are all fully worthy of that level of musical quality as the Terry albums, the rest I think fall short...there's a good reason they got so much more inconsistent after they dropped Terry. I mean, look at the drop in production quality between Signals and GuP.

Ray Daniels

If that is his real name

Lieutenant-Colonel Ray Daniels MC (1923 - 2003) was awarded the Military Cross for his exemplary actions during fierce fighting at the Battle of Cloppenburg in 1945, played rugby for Wasps RFC after World War II and later became Chief Executive of the William Press Group that he led to become a FTSE 100 company in the mid-1970s and early 1980s.

Ray Danniels is a Canadian music executive, record producer, and talent manager. He is the founder of SRO (Standing Room Only) Management group, as well as independent record labels Moon Records and Anthem Records. He first rose to prominence as the manager of the Canadian band Rush, even though he tried to destroy the band by removing bassist and lead vocalist Geddy Lee.....

;) ;)

Edited by Principled Man

Ray Daniels

If that is his real name

Lieutenant-Colonel Ray Daniels MC (1923 - 2003) was awarded the Military Cross for his exemplary actions during fierce fighting at the Battle of Cloppenburg in 1945, played rugby for Wasps RFC after World War II and later became Chief Executive of the William Press Group that he led to become a FTSE 100 company in the mid-1970s and early 1980s.

Ray Danniels is a Canadian music executive, record producer, and talent manager. He is the founder of SRO (Standing Room Only) Management group, as well as independent record labels Moon Records and Anthem Records. He first rose to prominence as the manager of the Canadian band Rush, even though he tried to destroy the band by removing bassist and lead vocalist Geddy Lee.....

;) ;)

http://youtu.be/Ik07y2WZe38?t=2m59s

Edited by cygnify