• Rusty Cage
    • Outshined
    • Slaves And Bulldozers
    • Jesus Christ Pose
    • Black Hole Sun
    • Spoonman
    • Fell On Black Days
    • The Day I Tried To Live

So I first started listening to Soundgarden and Chris Cornell last school year when I started college and bought Superunknown on a whim. I knew Black Hole Sun, and that was about it. I didn't really get most of the record at first, but I kept listening, and eventually, especially after I started getting into metal later in the year, it was really effective in helping get through some depressing moments. It's safe to say that Superunknown really helped me keep some of my sanity as I struggled with some issues that were making it difficult for me to pass my classes. So then May came, and after I'd just finished going on a domestic tour with my school's concert band and was prepping to play at commencement, the tragic news about Chris came. I felt like I owed a good bit of my resilience that past semester to Soundgarden's music and his songs and lyrics, and I was dumbfounded and heartbroken, as we all were. I then bought Audioslave's debut, as I'd never listened to them before, and started listening to other Soundgarden songs, all pretty much from Badmotorfinger. There was a line in one of the songs on Audioslave, Cochise, that goes:

"I'm not a martyr

I'm not a prophet

And I won't preach to you

But here's a caution

You better understand

That I won't hold your hand

But if it helps you mend

Then I won't stop it

Go on and save yourself

And take it out on me"

Hearing that for the first time, knowing I was listening to it now because of Cornell's passing, and having used his music to help me through the last semester, that was like a gut punch. But ever since, Cornell has become probably close to my favorite singer of the past 20/30 years, and one of my favorites of all time. Soundgarden quickly became my favorite grunge band (not hard since I really had only enjoyed Pearl Jam before, and not much else), and eventually I finally picked up Badmotorfinger a couple months ago. So here's an official thread to discuss anything relating to Soundgarden, possibly my favorite 90s band (who else is there? Oasis, Radiohead, the Chili Peppers, and not really a ton else. Love those bands as well).

Oh, and there's a poll for you because I like polls. :P

• Like 2

I adore Badmotorfinger. Such a great album. And I went with Rusty Cage, both for the original and the Johnny Cash cover.

Cool to hear that you're into their music. Great musicianship and overall songwriting.

My bomus sleeper track: With My Good Eye Closed

• Like 6

I adore Badmotorfinger. Such a great album. And I went with Rusty Cage, both for the original and the Johnny Cash cover.

Cool to hear that you're into their music. Great musicianship and overall songwriting.

An absolute gem off of Badmotorfinger, that one. I need to listen to that album more.

• Like 3

Haven't listened to them since. I won't. Maybe in a few years I will again. They were a good band. No replacing

Cornell, either.

• Like 5

Oh hey and dont sleep on Down on the Upside and of course Temple of the Dog was a big favorite of mine at the time.

I just got Temple Of The Dog last week or so. Good album, love the first few tracks.

Haven't got my next Soundgarden album yet, which album should I get next?

• Like 2

Soundgarden was a big favorite for me.

I actually adore Ultramega OK, but still went with Badmotorfinger. To me it is their musical peak.

• Like 3

top 10 band for me and my favorite of the grunge era. Not only Cornell, but Thayil's guitar is so interesting for his odd tunings and trippy eastern touches. Cameron is a top 10 rock drummer. Ben is just lucky he had a job.

BMF kicked down the door, but Superunknown is their masterpiece. BMF kicked ass but it was kind of one dimensional raging. Superunknown had more dynamics as an album. JCP is Cornell's paint-melting masterpiece and I can't get away from how perfect Spoonman is, even though it's been played to death. Face Pollution and Like Suicide are a couple of my fav deep tracks.

Given the darkness of the material it's not a stretch that Cornell or others would face dark demons. But it's hard to get over how tragic and f***ing unnecessary his death was. But let's not turn this into another Cornell death thread...I've had enough of that.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 3

Oh hey and dont sleep on Down on the Upside and of course Temple of the Dog was a big favorite of mine at the time.

I just got Temple Of The Dog last week or so. Good album, love the first few tracks.

Telephantasm is a compilation, sort of greatest hits, but older and more obscure stuff. Double album with a DVD as well, so lots to dive into.
  • Like 1

Telephantasm is a compilation, sort of greatest hits, but older and more obscure stuff. Double album with a DVD as well, so lots to dive into.

I did buy a song off of it a while back that I'd heard on guitar hero. Black Rain. Great song, wish it was on a studio album.

• Like 1

top 10 band for me and my favorite of the grunge era. Not only Cornell, but Thayil's guitar is so interesting for his odd tunings and trippy eastern touches. Cameron is a top 10 rock drummer. Ben is just lucky he had a job.

BMF kicked down the door, but Superunknown is their masterpiece. BMF kicked ass but it was kind of one dimensional raging. Superunknown had more dynamics as an album. JCP is Cornell's paint-melting masterpiece and I can't get away from how perfect Spoonman is, even though it's been played to death. Face Pollution and Like Suicide are a couple of my fav deep tracks.

Given the darkness of the material it's not a stretch that Cornell or others would face dark demons. But it's hard to get over how tragic and f***ing unnecessary his death was. But let's not turn this into another Cornell death thread...I've had enough of that.

I love Ben's bass parts! But yeah, the other members, probably Cameron and Cornell especially, are probably a step above him. Also yeah, Kim is so underrated. He's not the flashy type, he just quietly works his magic while Cornell takes care of the spotlight. Love all the guys in this band.

• Like 1

I did buy a song off of it a while back that I'd heard on guitar hero. Black Rain. Great song, wish it was on a studio album.

I was going to post this link when you mentioned Black Rain. Here's the video for it.

I think this was originally recorded back around BMF, but it absolutely melts face. :haz: They did it live on Conan OBrien in 2010 and Cornell still had the range to pull it off. There's a youtube of that but the mix is kind of shitty...too much Kim and not enough Chris.

• Like 1

I love Ben's bass parts! But yeah, the other members, probably Cameron and Cornell especially, are probably a step above him. Also yeah, Kim is so underrated. He's not the flashy type, he just quietly works his magic while Cornell takes care of the spotlight. Love all the guys in this band.

Yeah Ben earns his due, I just like picking on him because he's so overshadowed by the others.
  • Like 1

Badmotorfinger

Jesus Christ Pose

Live, when RUSH would get to the break in Secret Touch, I would start singing Jesus Christ Pose at the top of my lungs. :)

At the 4:00 minute mark...

• Like 2

Indeed. Love the sleeper track. BMF packed such a wallop. I remember buying it and slapping the cassette in the tape deck of my Dart and just listening to it before I went to work. As good as Louder Than Love was, it really built on it and went forward. Seems like all their albums went forward and got better.

I almost consider Superunknown and Down On The Upside a part I and part II album. They both have a more varied approach on song styles. So much great music. The concert in '93 (with Reverend Horton Heat and Screaming Trees) was awesome. Saw them at Memorial Stadium (Seattle). Outdoor gig. Great.

Hard decision. I guess I went with the obvious on BMF. Almost feel like I should change it to Superunknown. They never made a bad album. We had so much killer music here in the first half of the '90's. Favorite band of the "Grunge" era... along with the Melvins.

• Like 3

I think I'm going into another big Soundgarden kick... the last one was oddly one week before Chris died.

Always loved Kim's guitar playing. I love the huge chunky sound and his odd timing. I remember reading an interview back then on how he wrote mostly in 5's and 7's. He had a harder time with straight 4/4. I get it. The last band I played in had a couple of real straight up and down 4/4 songs. I felt like I couldn't grab onto anything.

Ultramega OK... cool kinda warpy psychedelic album.

When I first saw the name Soundgarden in a local music paper, I really thought they were going to be some kind of hippie black turtleneck wearing kind of band. Wrong.

Random thoughts... more Soundgarden.

• Like 2

Love all this Soundgarden love!

I was messing around with a weird tuning of my guitar last night, trying to come up with something like Soundgarden would write. Didn't really get anywhere, but it was fun.

• Like 1