Would you feel cheated, betrayed, and disrespected of Rush were to continue on without any one of their three members?

JohnnyBlaze

Two men enter, one man leave.   

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would you feel cheated, betrayed, and disrespected if Rush were to continue on without any one of their three members?

• Yes, I would.
    • No, I wouldn’t.
  2. 2. Too lazy to type how you feel? Choose one of these you lazy bastard to express yourself more fully.

• I’d feel cheated, betrayed, and disrespected if any one of their three members were to change but I’d still buy their music and go to the gigs!
    • I’d wash my hands clean of Rush by destroying any music or apparel I have. I’d never listen to them again! But I’d still come to TRF to bitch about the membership change.
    • I’m too lazy to read the other selections. I saw the word “lazy” here in option 3 and am choosing this one.
    • I’m of the fraroc mind in that Geddy is a spineless wuss who’s manipulated by Neil. Not sure how that fits in this topic but I’m shoehorning it in.
    • I’m okay with changing any one of the members.
    • I’m okay with changing one member...but it depends on which member.
    • I’m okay with changing one, two, or all of them! Bring in androids and cheesdick holograms and call them Rush! Just bring it!

I can't imagine, and wouldn't go see Boston without Bred Delp or Van Halen with DLR, or Queen without Freddie, or Journey without Steve Perry or Yes without Jon Anderson.

Yeah for me too on all of those.

Is there any exception?

Not that I can think of. Brian Johnson was a great fit for AC/DC and initially sounded similar to Bon Scott, but I'm not much of a fan of them anyway so they might be a possibility.

I can't imagine, and wouldn't go see Boston without Bred Delp or Van Halen with DLR, or Queen without Freddie, or Journey without Steve Perry or Yes without Jon Anderson.

Is there any exception?

Not that I can think of. Brian Johnson was a great fit for AC/DC and initially sounded similar to Bon Scott, but I'm not much of a fan of them anyway so they might be a possibility.

Maiden?

For me, the singer is the key member. There are guitarists and drummers who are as competent or even more competent than Alex or Neil, but I doubt anyone sings like Geddy, at least in his heyday (which is long past). I wouldn't be as excited to see them, but I'd go anyway, depending on ticket prices.

Or Maiden without Paul Di’Anno. Or Deep Purple without Rod Evans.

Lol could there be a Rush without Al NO

Could there be a Rush without Ged NO

Without Neil? Theoretically maybe, it's remotely possible but still a crazy proposition

Al lookin too old Ged's voice was shot to pieces years ago. Let the thing go

Lol could there be a Rush without Al NO

Could there be a Rush without Ged NO

Without Neil? Theoretically maybe, it's remotely possible but still a crazy proposition

Al lookin too old Ged's voice was shot to pieces years ago. Let the thing go

tenor.gif

It's almost as if the band becomes a brand rather than a band. As long as we can have more "Yes" music on the market, or Asia, or Foreigner, or whatever, it doesn't matter who's in the band!

I can sort of understand why Rush kept the name when Rutsey stopped performing with them - they just signed a deal - but I kind of think the band should be at the very least made up of the members who gave it its sound. If someone leaves and the remaining folks want to carry on, find a new name! Especially after 40 years. If Lifeson and Lee decided to carry on making music, I doubt they'd have to worry about no one hearing about it. The new band would be advertised as having the "founding members of Rush."

The best way to respect the new guy at this stage would be to create a new band name.

• Like 2

Look, I was having a bad time in the other threads, and I read I guess a little too far into this. I'm sure you mean well Johnny, but I just wasn't really happy to have that mess thrown back in my face, even as a joke. I'm glad folks like having me around here, but stuff like this makes me consider following Lorraine out of this place, much as I love the discussion. I'm just asking maybe you keep in mind I am a lot younger than you all and not immune to taking things the wrong way or too hard. I hope I haven't embarrassed myself too bad today, but I'm sorry I ever spoke up at all if it's just going to make me depressed.

Thanks for supporting me Lucas. I'm glad you've always got my back. I will have yours too.

• Like 1

Is there any exception?

I saw YES last fall and they were great without Anderson. He's not so hard to emulate, really, in terms of sound.
  • Like 1

It's almost as if the band becomes a brand rather than a band.

RUSH are and have been both for quite some time. Nothing wrong with it, at their age.

Look, I was having a bad time in the other threads, and I read I guess a little too far into this. I'm sure you mean well Johnny, but I just wasn't really happy to have that mess thrown back in my face, even as a joke. I'm glad folks like having me around here, but stuff like this makes me consider following Lorraine out of this place, much as I love the discussion. I'm just asking maybe you keep in mind I am a lot younger than you all and not immune to taking things the wrong way or too hard. I hope I haven't embarrassed myself too bad today, but I'm sorry I ever spoke up at all if it's just going to make me depressed.

Thanks for supporting me Lucas. I'm glad you've always got my back. I will have yours too.

The truth is, with this thread I was neither ripping you nor joking. I wanted to know how many TRFers truly felt cheated, betrayed, etc. I assume that goose was half joking with his post about starting a thread; and I’m nearly positive he wasn’t ripping you at any point.

With the second poll question I didn’t consider that it was a rip of any sort either....except for maybe on fraroc and he ignores me whether I’m serious or not anyway.

If the TRFers that rip you are Tony and edhunter then shit, join the club! :P

In fact, I feel kind of ripped off that ed’s never ripped me! :hail:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

The truth is, with this thread I was neither ripping you nor joking. I wanted to know how many TRFers truly felt cheated, betrayed, etc. I assume that goose was half joking with his post about starting a thread; and I’m nearly positive he wasn’t ripping you at any point.

With the second poll question I didn’t consider that it was a rip of any sort either....except for maybe on fraroc and he ignores me whether I’m serious or not anyway.

If the TRFers that rip you are Tony and edhunter then shit, join the club! :P

In fact, I feel kind of ripped off that ed’s never ripped me! :hail:

:LOL:

As for the poll, I was genuinely curious if people felt this way and not intending to rip. The Die Hard reference seemed obligatory TRF stuff.

:cheers:

• Like 2

For me, the singer is the key member. There are guitarists and drummers who are as competent or even more competent than Alex or Neil, but I doubt anyone sings like Geddy, at least in his heyday (which is long past). I wouldn't be as excited to see them, but I'd go anyway, depending on ticket prices.

I didn't know Iron Maiden prior to Dickinson and don't listen to Deep Purple. I enjoy the early Maiden records as much as the post DiAnno, but had I started at the beginning my feelings may be different.

Is there any exception?

I saw YES last fall and they were great without Anderson. He's not so hard to emulate, really, in terms of sound.

In the case of Yes, there's more to it for me than just having a different singer. Anderson was a founding member and several years ago they were touring or getting ready to and he got sick. The shows were cancelled and tickets refunded. Then, the rest of them decided to get a different singer and tour without him. It's not like he was doing something else, or just didn't want to tour at the time, he was sick and they basically said, "tough shit, we're touring". I have yet to see them, and at this point probably never will because of that. F uck 'em.

Is there any exception?

In the case of Yes, there's more to it for me than just having a different singer. Anderson was a founding member and several years ago they were touring or getting ready to and he got sick. The shows were cancelled and tickets refunded. Then, the rest of them decided to get a different singer and tour without him. It's not like he was doing something else, or just didn't want to tour at the time, he was sick and they basically said, "tough shit, we're touring". I have yet to see them, and at this point probably never will because of that. F uck 'em.

Too bad, because Howe was amazing.

Don't give a monkeys...I see no problem with them replacing Neil, as, like it or not, he isn't part of the main songwriting engine....his recent lyrics also don't "scan" well and seem impossible to fit into a song neatly.

However, with Geddys voice shot to hell, and Lerxts hands playing up, may be better if it was a studio only project., though doing it live...no probs.

• Like 2

I didn't know Iron Maiden prior to Dickinson and don't listen to Deep Purple. I enjoy the early Maiden records as much as the post DiAnno, but had I started at the beginning my feelings may be different.

I started listening to Maiden when Killers came out. And when NotB came out, I loved it because it's a great album. I think that's pretty much how it is with singers. If the band gets a new singer and they put out a great album (Black Sabbath with Heaven and Hell, for example) people get over the change quickly.

• Like 2

for me, with most bands it's the singer changing that really sucks ... on that note Geddy is irreplaceable in anything called Rush ... it would be possible for me to get into a new line up without NP or AL I guess .. I would feel somewhat cheated betrayed and disrespected though .. mostly because of things the bands has said on this very subject thru the years ... BUT if the music was absolutely killer I would buy it and probably even go to see it live .. i'm such a slut when it comes to good music haha

if there really is some question as to EP's age ... he's 19 .. I'm his dad

• Like 3