Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won 2003/2018 version

YYZumbi

So Led Zeppelin have recently released a remastered version of their 2003 live record "How The West Was Won". And for the first time it´s being released on vinyl record as well.

Is it someone that have bought this reissue yet? If yes, which format? And what do you think about it in compared to the 2003 version? Do you think its a upgrade and if yes, is it worth getting if already owning the 2003 version?

People seem to complain about the sound quality of the 2003 version of this record, but I am listening to it right now, and to my ears it sounds good. So not sure how much a remastering on this one can do.

I am thinking of getting the vinyl record version, but not sure. It is kinda expensive, and I have other stuff I want to buy as well, and do not really have a lot of money right now.

And one bad thing they have done with the 2018 version is also they have cut out "Hello Marylou" from the "Whole Lotta Love" medley. Which I think is insane! Thats a big downside for me! I love that medley, and cutting away pieces from it is just stupid...

So what are you guys thoughts about this one? Do you have the 2003 version? Have you bought the 2018 version already? Or are you thinking about it? And if yes, which format are you thinking of getting?

Never seen the point in remastering live albums.

Agreed.

10/10

• Like 2

I would buy a remastered live album if there are new tracks.

Live at Leeds is one such album.

Slightly OT but I actually prefer the original six-song Leeds to any of the expanded versions that came out. Those are good performances and are good to have but as a listening experience, the original version is just relentless and captures the essence of that period of the Who better than anything.

The best Tommy performance from that period is Isle of Wight,

• Like 1

I would buy a remastered live album if there are new tracks.

Live at Leeds is one such album.

Slightly OT but I actually prefer the original six-song Leeds to any of the expanded versions that came out. Those are good performances and are good to have but as a listening experience, the original version is just relentless and captures the essence of that period of the Who better than anything.

The best Tommy performance from that period is Isle of Wight,

I also prefer the original release of Live at Leeds.

Considering that the Zeppelin reissues since 2014 have sounded like absolute dog shit, no thanks. I'll stick with the 2003 original.
  • Like 1

Considering that the Zeppelin reissues since 2014 have sounded like absolute dog shit, no thanks. I'll stick with the 2003 original.

Finally someone that agrees with me about this! Everybody seems to love the new remastering on the studio records!

• Like 1

The problem I have with Zeppelin’s live albums is the amount of self indulgent wankery, not the mastering.

That's part of the charm for me on in a set like this, but then I love King Crimson.

Finally someone that agrees with me about this! Everybody seems to love the new remastering on the studio records!

I don't mind them but then I've not heard better CDs...

There was a box set put out in 1993 with every Zeppelin studio release that sounds so much better. They actually took the time to remaster AND remix, which the most recent versions did not. They simply remastered and did minimal remixing efforts. The end result is simply a louder product.

The problem I have with Zeppelin’s live albums is the amount of self indulgent wankery, not the mastering.

That's part of the charm for me on in a set like this, but then I love King Crimson.

In fairness, it's not just them. All the bands from that era, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, have the 25 minute free form jam in every song.

In fairness, it's not just them. All the bands from that era, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, have the 25 minute free form jam in every song.

I find it humorous that I love jam bands but can't stand hearing a live rendition of Sabbra Cadabra. I don't get why so many bands thought having free jams in the worst possible songs would make people think they're cool. There's an element that each musician needs in order for them to improvise a jam. The Dead didn't do 32 minute Dark Stars just to say they could, but because they had the knowledge and sense of everyone's playing to be able to do it and take the music somewhere.

Led Zeppelin doing the 25 minute Whole Lotta Love is definitely...something. I don't hate it, but I can't say I particularly love it. I do, however, enjoy those long versions of Dazed and Confused, No Quarter, and Kashmir they were so fond of doing. Wonderful stuff.

There was a box set put out in 1993 with every Zeppelin studio release that sounds so much better. They actually took the time to remaster AND remix, which the most recent versions did not. They simply remastered and did minimal remixing efforts. The end result is simply a louder product.

Was this boxset on CD or vinyl records?

CD

CD

Thanks for answering but then I am not interested...

CD

Thanks for answering but then I am not interested...

Like Rush, CDs suck.