Battle of guitar solos: Freewill or Stairway to Heaven?

Texas King

Battle of guitar solos: Freewill or Stairway to Heaven?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which guitar solo do you prefer?

• Lifeson - Freewill
    • Page - Stairway to Heaven

Alex is on fire in Freewill .. It may be technically better, but I went with Page and Stairway ..

Stairway is a well earned classic, and Page's solo in that is as timeless and legendary as they come

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

You've changed your avatar! You're trying to camouflage your threads now!

The poll I’m really dying for is Geddy’s one legged hopping across the concert stage vs John Mellancamp’s spastic sliding scoot ‘dancing’ in the “Crumblin’ Down” video

• Like 2

It's a good thing the OP put links to the songs. Otherwise I wouldn't have had a clue what he was talking about.

Alex and yes being a Rush fanboy is factoring into it. Seeing Alex play that solo a number of times live also helps swing the vote to him.

• Like 1

I don't see the point in comparing solos that both serve their songs perfectly. I do listen to "Freewill" much more often than "Stairway to Heaven", so that's what I will vote for.

That's kinda how I feel. I couldn't imagine either solo being any better. Both 10/10, but also neither is really my absolute favorite. Pretty even for me really.

• Like 2

At first listen, Stairway blew me away. I remember key moments in my music history.

:codger:

It's amazing to me how seamlessly the transition occurs from recorder-accompanied ballad to an iconic hard-rock solo. Stairway is just brilliantly composed.

Freewill is probably my favorite RUSH song, btw.

• Like 1

Tough choice but I have to go with Stairway by a hair. It’s just iconic. Though I think Freewill is one of Alex’s best solos.

Tough choice but I have to go with Stairway by a hair. It’s just iconic. Though I think Freewill is one of Alex’s best solos.

Freewill is killer, but the Stairway solo is so melodic, yet powerful.

I heard Freewill today, and air guitared the solo, and it was fabulous. I'm giving it the nod here.

I prefer Stairway from The Song Remains The Same. Does that count? But to be honest, both solos kick ass. Edited by BenjaminW
  • Like 1