Popularity of Rush in the rock world?

Texas King

How popular is Rush in the rock world?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How popular is Rush in the rock world?

Incorrect term. Popularity....maybe not as much. Respected...very much.

Even for those who don't care for their music for whatever reason, most will concede respect for their efforts and longevity.

• Like 6

Let's see .. based on "popularity" - which I am gauging right now as just sort of a gut reaction without really researching it - off the top of my head, here are acts and performers who would be above Rush on the list:

- The Beatles

- The Rolling Stones

- Aerosmith

- Queen

- The Who

- Black Sabbath

- Van Halen

- Hendrix

- AC/DC

- David Bowie

- Led Zeppelin

- Pink Floyd

- KISS

- The Doors

- Creedence Clearwater Revival

- The Beach Boys

- The Eagles

- Bob Dylan

- Bruce Springsteen

- Fleetwood Mac

That's 20 right there

Then you have bands like Boston .. Are they more popular ?? .. They've sold a lot of albums and get more airplay - their songs are universally known despite not being nearly as active as Rush ..

U2 ??

How about rom the metal world - Maiden, The Scorpions, Priest ??

Genesis ??

Rush doesn't crack the The Top 30, but that is no slight to them

They may be the biggest cult band of all time

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 6

Depends, Rush is like top 3 for most consecutive platinum albums sold, but that doesn't make them popular.

But many people / bands may be more popular because of one hit song that they have.

I would say top 30, but they arent a household name that is said very often when compared to the other popular bands,

I think if we're talking nowadays, Rush would be in the top 10 because of their influence on a lot of current bands. If we're talking about earlier decades then probably top 30. But maybe I'm just optimistic.

Realistically, I voted top 30.

I don't know that they are a household name. Someone posted here a bunch of bands that are. That's popular consensus for you.

I think they are a household name where someone there is a musician. They are effing incredible in that respect.

They have a solid place in the rock pantheon. Unfortunately (in my opinion) it is below the likes of the Beatles and the Stones and such.

• Like 1

There are only two groups ahead of Rush in sales and lists of Gold, Plat, all that, albums. Only two groups. Rollingstones have been around for as long, or longer than Rush. the fact Rush has drawn behind them, considering their sixties start and historical status, is amazing.

the fact the Beatles are still KIng and recorded less than 10 years as a group is staggering.

After reading this thread, I agree with the cynical voices who know Rush has probably fallen in the public eye. The two categories, sales and public regard, don't match, do they?

DNA is the Elder Scrolls

Well they managed to sell out MSG on their 40th anniversary tour, so I'd say they were on a pretty high echelon.

Selling out a 15,000 seat arena is always impressive. But in a city where there is what 10 million people? It's probably not as hard as you think. Also, don't confuse them being high echelon with having a big dedicated long time fan base and great live reputation that brought the people out for Rush's later tours.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1