So I've always been wondering...

jnoble

..within the storyline of the song & album what exactly was a "clockwork angel"? Were they actual angels or figments of the public's imaginations or hallucinations? I've read the lyrics and explanations between songs in the album liner notes and never could understand it exactly.
  • Like 2

You could always read the book. In the story, iirc, clockwork angels were actual winged beings made of gears and sprockets which would somehow bring solace and comfort to the people of "the watchmaker's" domain.
  • Like 3

The song mentions them like they're just beams of light projected in the sky or something.

One skeptic of CA was right, the storyline of the album is a little hamfisted. Its like 2112 and Fountain Of Lamneth put in a mixer (one man against a fascist govt who experiences life's ups and downs across a bunch of songs with the ending left a little vague)

I like parts of it, a riff here a guitar solo there... but as a whole its too long too dense and too chaotic sounding

• Like 1

The song mentions them like they're just beams of light projected in the sky or something.

One skeptic of CA was right, the storyline of the album is a little hamfisted. Its like 2112 and Fountain Of Lamneth put in a mixer (one man against a fascist govt who experiences life's ups and downs across a bunch of songs with the ending left a little vague)

I like parts of it, a riff here a guitar solo there... but as a whole its too long too dense and too chaotic sounding

Skeptic? There's nothing to be skeptical of. It's a fictional adventure story which would probably appeal best to young teens, seeing as I was about 14 or15 when I read it. It's not The Lord Of The Rings by any stretch of the imagination, but I found it a good bit of fun and really cool for having a concept album attached to it. Also, are we talking about the meaning of the song or its quality? CA is easily the best song they've written since Presto at least.

Skeptic? There's nothing to be skeptical of. It's a fictional adventure story which would probably appeal best to young teens, seeing as I was about 14 or15 when I read it. It's not The Lord Of The Rings by any stretch of the imagination, but I found it a good bit of fun and really cool for having a concept album attached to it. Also, are we talking about the meaning of the song or its quality? CA is easily the best song they've written since Presto at least.

The first three songs on CA are faultless in my honest opinion. Throw in The Wrecker, Seven Cities, HF and The Garden and you get a top ten Rush album for me.

Actually I also really love Wish Them Well haha

• Like 3

The first three songs on CA are faultless in my honest opinion. Throw in The Wrecker, Seven Cities, HF and The Garden and you get a top ten Rush album for me.

Actually I also really love Wish Them Well haha

Caravan and BU2B are very underrated. Then CA hits with that wall of guitar and I'm in heaven.

• Like 1