The Geddy Myth?

Gompers

Some dude on Facebook is claiming Ged never actually plays the keys while playing the bass. I need video proof of this to shut him down and am having zero luck.

prove him wrong right here

go to 5:10 if the video doesnt do it for you already

Now the craziest one is when he played the bass and the keyboard with his hands on Force Ten, kind of hard to tell but he does it

Go to 4:10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljf8HsefrXk

Those are cool to see, Big Bobby! Thanks for posting them.

Claims like those of the video Gompers is answering usually get the attention they deserve, which is not much! :)

• Like 2

Some dude on Facebook is claiming Ged never actually plays the keys while playing the bass. I need video proof of this to shut him down and am having zero luck.

Not worth your time. Someone like that won’t believe it unless Geddy himself were in that dude’s living room proving him wrong

• Like 1

prove him wrong right here

go to 5:10 if the video doesnt do it for you already

Ah...but no keyboard, just foot pedals which is this guy's issue, obviously among other issues.

To be fair though, Geddy does very little actual playing. It's mostly just triggering. Look at Mission from the Snakes DVD. 2 simple chords and he just uses a single finger.

From what I could see, Subdivisions was about the only song he played legit.

• Like 2

I don't get this guys point. You need both hands to play the bass. You need at least one hand to play keyboards. So alternatives are:

1. play the bass with footpedals

2. alternate between bass and keyboards.

3. play the bass with both hands while poking at the keyboard with his nose or his d***

My response would be 'how the f**k does eddie van halen do it? the same way geddy does'

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

Not worth your time. Someone like that won’t believe it unless Geddy himself were in that dude’s living room proving him wrong

Neil wouldn’t let that happen.

• Like 3

Some dude on Facebook is claiming Ged never actually plays the keys while playing the bass.

He's right if he's defining "plays the keys" as using his hands on a keyboard. Theoretically, Ged could fret notes on the bass with his left hand while playing a keyboard with his right, but I don't know that he ever has.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

Dude, tell this guy that he's clearly playing the parts to Subdivisions. I mean sure, that big workstation keyboard he toured with in the past years could be used as a digital piano, synthesizer, and a sampler and he's definitely used the keyboard as a sampler a few times, but he most definitely plays keyboards on most synth songs.

Dude, tell this guy that he's clearly playing the parts to Subdivisions. I mean sure, that big workstation keyboard he toured with in the past years could be used as a digital piano, synthesizer, and a sampler and he's definitely used the keyboard as a sampler a few times, but he most definitely plays keyboards on most synth songs.

There's a concept in the OP you seem to be missing.

• Like 2

There's a concept in the OP you seem to be missing.

while: /(h)wīl/

conjunction

during the time that; at the same time as. synonyms: during the time that, when, as; whilst

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

Some dude on Facebook is claiming Ged never actually plays the keys while playing the bass.

He's right if he's defining "plays the keys" as using his hands on a keyboard. Theoretically, Ged could fret notes on the bass with his left hand while playing a keyboard with his right, but I don't know that he ever has.

I think it is call a hammer or something when you just hit the strings against the frets to get the sound. I am sure Ged would be capable of it if he doesn't do that. Oh, and play bass pedals and sing concurrently.

I think it is call a hammer or something when you just hit the strings against the frets to get the sound. I am sure Ged would be capable of it if he doesn't do that. Oh, and play bass pedals and sing concurrently.

Agreed, but the guy's argument seems to be about what Ged actually does vs. what he could do. I think you'll need to concede to him that, yes, it's true Geddy never played the bass with his hands at the same time he was playing a keyboard with his hands.

Now, he's not technically doing both together, but he throws short little bass fills in between the synth lead lines before the fadeout jam during The Enemy Within. It's probably the closest he gets to actually playing both instruments simultaneously.

I think you'll need to concede to him that, yes, it's true Geddy never played the bass with his hands at the same time he was playing a keyboard with his hands.

Nope, he doesn't have to concede at all. See my post above.

Indeed. Good find!

• Like 1

Find the official video for Countdown. There are several shots of him very clearly playing his bass with one hand and the keys with the other.

ETA:

Doesn't really count does it?

Sure it does. Vamping on an open string while playing a note on a keyboard fits the technical requirements in the OP, and it seems like the dude's argument in the OP was all about being technically correct.

Edited by JARG