Does Rush have many Volkswagen fans?

Fridge

Does Rush have many Volkswagen fans?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Does Rush have many Volkswagen fans?

Isn't 2018 the last year of the bug?

I still miss my split windshield 62 microbus. I think it had 42 HP

pal Dave says; "I hate, HATE those things. Every summer in Michigan everyone's on vacation, but there is no line longer than that of the vehicles following behind a VW bus.

Isn't 2018 the last year of the bug?

I still miss my split windshield 62 microbus. I think it had 42 HP

pal Dave says; "I hate, HATE those things. Every summer in Michigan everyone's on vacation, but there is no line longer than that of the vehicles following behind a VW bus.

AKA "The Iron Twinkie"

• Like 1

My first car at 16 was a 1991 Volkswagen Jetta coupe. Red 1.8L, 5 speed manual. Looked good.

Car was a complete and total mechanical piece of shit, though.

• Like 1

My folks had a VW beetle. They yanked the back seat and threw down a blanket for the three kids. It took us everywhere, rain or shine. Here's Uncle Otto getting us out of the snow, circa 1972...

Z5eV1Fm.jpg

• Like 4

I'd say, not many. VWs are not that reliable and expensive to fix and I like to believe most Rush fans are smarter than that and buy vehicles that are more durable and reliable.

I had a Golf in the mid 90s for a few years. No mechanical problems but I had the feeling that if anyone would have hit me going over 10 mph i would have been dead.

• Like 1

I also had one of these in high school/college...a '65 Karmann Ghia:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwOVgxNjAw/z/VcoAAOSwzrxUy-Ib/$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

• Like 4

I'd say, not many. VWs are not that reliable and expensive to fix and I like to believe most Rush fans are smarter than that and buy vehicles that are more durable and reliable.

I had a Golf in the mid 90s for a few years. No mechanical problems but I had the feeling that if anyone would have hit me going over 10 mph i would have been dead.

On a rainy night in Olympia, WA, I got t-boned in my Ghia by a Chevy van, left front quarter panel, dead on. The wheel ended up parallel with the ground. Luckily, there was no fire (gas tank is in the front), and no one got hurt (I had three passengers. That was the end of the Ghia.
  • Like 2

The classic VWs were cheap and easy to fix. Bugs, Combis, Ghias. They were great cars.
  • Like 1

I also had one of these in high school/college...a '65 Karmann Ghia:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTAwOVgxNjAw/z/VcoAAOSwzrxUy-Ib/$_1.JPG?set_id=880000500F

My friend had one too, a red one. My other friend had a Beetle. Lots of Rush was listened to in those cars.

• Like 1

The classic VWs were cheap and easy to fix. Bugs, Combis, Ghias. They were great cars.

Those older ones weren't bad. I had a 72 Bug for a while and with the exception of the generator, I didn't have problems with it other than the brakes and "heating" system, which all of them had issues with because of a poor design.

This actually was a really nice '78 Super Beetle with a sunroof before our wedding reception . . . . :LOL: :LOL: Worst part was that it took forever to find a car wash!

aVq9n5gm.jpg 1bthY3Ll.jpg

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 4

Diesel Rabbits ran forever. The old Sciroccos were kind of quirky cool back in the day. That pic below looks like a knockoff of the Accord hatchback at the time. The new

VWs have too much weird shit going on with their engines like turbos and diesels. Just give me a plain old low maintenance gas engine.

http://www.vwvortex.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/scirocco-16v.jpg

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

My folks had a VW beetle. They yanked the back seat and threw down a blanket for the three kids. It took us everywhere, rain or shine. Here's Uncle Otto getting us out of the snow, circa 1972...

Z5eV1Fm.jpg

you don't push a bug out of the snow...you just bend over, pick it up by the bumper and move it. Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 3