• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Texas King

Texas King

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1818 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 12:59 PM

New-wave/synth-rock era of Rush: Signals - HYF (4 albums)

Sponsored Post

#22 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7034 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:28 PM

Not soon enough . . . .  ;)

#23 thizzellewashington

thizzellewashington

The Seeker

• Members
  • 493 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

Signals had more keyboards than previous albums but to me the real shift happened when they parted ways with Terry Brown on Grace and went full-on in that direction. The end point is HYF — Presto and Roll the Bones still had keyboards on them but they weren't the focus anymore. Those three mid-80s albums are what I think of when I think about that era. Signals has more in common with Moving Pictures than it does with the three albums that followed it.

#24 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58849 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

View Postblueschica, on 14 March 2018 - 01:28 PM, said:

:lol:

#25 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2592 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:38 PM

View Postthizzellewashington, on 14 March 2018 - 03:50 PM, said:

Signals had more keyboards than previous albums but to me the real shift happened when they parted ways with Terry Brown on Grace and went full-on in that direction. The end point is HYF — Presto and Roll the Bones still had keyboards on them but they weren't the focus anymore. Those three mid-80s albums are what I think of when I think about that era. Signals has more in common with Moving Pictures than it does with the three albums that followed it.

You know, a lot of Rush fans claim that Presto was the album where "the guitar came back", I would more say that it was the album where the bass came back. The only Song that Geddy still played a main keyboard part (meaning no bass guitar, just synth bass) on was Show Don't Tell, every other song, the keyboard was just an accent and was sampled live.

#26 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58849 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:57 PM

View Postfraroc, on 14 March 2018 - 10:38 PM, said:

You know, a lot of Rush fans claim that Presto was the album where "the guitar came back", I would more say that it was the album where the bass came back. The only Song that Geddy still played a main keyboard part (meaning no bass guitar, just synth bass) on was Show Don't Tell, every other song, the keyboard was just an accent and was sampled live.
You sure about that?

#27 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5049 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:51 PM

View Postgoose, on 14 March 2018 - 10:57 PM, said:

You sure about that?

Ahh! My eyes! Where's Geddy's shirt??

#28 Texas King

Texas King

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1818 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:02 AM

Signals has more in common with Moving Pictures than it does with the three albums that followed it.

Signals doesn't have one hard rock song. Moving Pictures has Limelight and Red Barchetta. YYZ has also a totally different sound than any Signals track.
Signals songs The Weapon, Subdivisions, Countdown and Chemistry are very synthy, MP doesn't have that synthy songs.

#29 capoetc

capoetc

The Seeker

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:49 AM

The synth era ended in 2015 with the R40 tour.

#30 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2592 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:33 AM

You sure about that?

I don't really count Scars because that's clearly a slap bass that's being played on the album version.

No clue why he didn't just play the bass part though.

Edited by fraroc, 15 March 2018 - 10:37 AM.

#31 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 26743 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:50 AM

...going to my safe space to listen to Tai Shan.

#32 blueschica

blueschica

What the Puck?

• Members
  • 7034 posts
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

View PostJohnRogers, on 15 March 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

...going to my safe space to listen to Tai Shan.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#33 Huge Ackman

Huge Ackman

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 669 posts
  • Location:Back in The Homeland... Go, PACK, GO! On Wisconsin!
  • Interests:Football, hockey, cycling, golf, music

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

View Postcapoetc, on 15 March 2018 - 07:49 AM, said:

The synth era ended in 2015 with the R40 tour.

That was my thought... Rush syth era ended as it all did on August 1, 2015

Posted Image

#34 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58849 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

View Postfraroc, on 15 March 2018 - 08:33 AM, said:

You sure about that?

I don't really count Scars because that's clearly a slap bass that's being played on the album version.

Because it wasn't recorded with bass.  Clearly.

https://en.m.wikiped...i/Presto_(album)

#35 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2592 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 08:03 AM

View Postgoose, on 15 March 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

You sure about that?

Really?

I find that rather odd, because it sounds just like slap bass.

#36 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58849 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:32 AM

View Postfraroc, on 16 March 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

View Postgoose, on 15 March 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

You sure about that?

Really?

I find that rather odd, because it sounds just like slap bass.
Them synths are clever little devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users