432Hz

tas7

Anyone else listening to these on Youtube. Being flooded with Rush songs at 432Hz, sound really good and interesting in the case of Xanadu which is unpitched so sounds like it would live.

Anyone else listening to these on Youtube. Being flooded with Rush songs at 432Hz, sound really good and interesting in the case of Xanadu which is unpitched so sounds like it would live.

OK, I'm stupid and I need an explanation ! :LOL: After having three kids in marching band, I am firmly indoctrinated to believe that A = 440 Hz. All the time.

I understand that there is some discussion that 432 Hz is magical. But Rush recorded at whatever sound they recorded, so how could these recordings now be at 432 Hz? Are they tuned down or something? Or are they recording of someone else doing Rush? I'n not quite understanding. But I'll try to find one and give it a listen.

• Like 1

At some point in history the note A has been 435hz and even 432hz. If you tune your guitar to 432hz it would sound amazing as all frequencies harmonises better. However, it doesn't work on music already recorded as 440hz, as far as I know.
  • Like 1

Blueschica, here's more than you may care to read around the 432 mythology. I found it interesting. :)

Music Theory: 432 Hz Tuning - Separating Fact From Fiction

Here Assaf Dar Sagol explores the fact and fiction behind tuning to 432 Hz.

432 Hz. The magic number everybody is talking about. It is said to be the natural frequency of the universe, to have cosmic healing powers and to attract masses of audience to our music. Just by tuning our music less than a semitone below our standard A=440Hz we are promised direct access to the universe's hidden treasures.

There are many articles presenting so-called “scientific evidence” in favor of 432 Hz. But how much of what are being presented with is fact, and how much of it is fiction?

Fiction: Ancient instruments such as Tibetan bowls, Pythagoras monochord, ancient flutes, have been found to use 432 Hz as their base pitch.

Fact: Hertz is a modern term coined in 1930. Before that it was referred as “Cycles Per Second”. The first time “Cycles Per Second” could be accurately measured was in 1834, when two instruments were invented: the (remodeled) Savart Wheel by Félix Savart, and the Tonometer by Johann Scheibler.

Further than that—the measurement of Seconds has only begun during the late 16th century.

Ancient Tibetans, Pythagoras and anyone before 1834 could not have intentionally tuned their instrument to measure 432 Hz as this frequency scale simply did not exist at the time.

Fiction: Pythagoras’ A was 432 Hz.

Fact: Pythagoras’ tuning system is ratio based. It is not based on an absolute pitch, but rather on the relations from an arbitrary reference pitch. We already know Pythagoras could not have known what a second is, so he could not know what Hz meant. Indeed 432 is a multiplication of the ratio between C and A, where C is 1 and A is 27/16 which is the same as 432/256—however this applies to any base frequency and has nothing to do with a specific Hz.

Fiction: Mozart used 432 Hz for all of his music.

Fact: The only evidence for Mozart’s A comes from an ancient tuning fork from 1780 with the tone of A=421.6 Hz. This tuning fork belonged to the Viennese piano builder Johann Andreas Stein, the leading piano maker in Vienna at the time, who was responsible for Mozart's pianos as well as Haydn’s and Beethoven’s. It is likely that they have all used A=421.6Hz.

Fiction: Verdi has used 432 Hz for all his music.

Fact: Verdi used several tunings across his life. As an opera composer he was aware of the pitch inflation (pitch standards rapidly rising to achieve a brighter orchestral sound) that was happening in his time, and was concerned it was putting a strain on singers voices as they struggle to hit the high notes on a score.

Verdi has requested his Requiem to be tuned to 435 Hz (according to the 1859 French “diapason normal” standard) and in a later letter he has expressed a slight preference for 432 Hz. Verdi is the only known composer to even hint towards 432 Hz, and it was obviously for completely different reasons than cosmic spirituality.

Fiction: 432 Hz is the way everybody used to tune in the past, but we have now forgotten the ancient wisdom of our ancestors.

Fact: Musicologist Alexander John Ellis has searched, measured and documented ancient pipe organs and tuning forks. Here is a graph representing his most important findings—as you can see the only mention of 432 Hz was proposed in Italy in 1880 (by Verdi), and we already know that this was done for practical reasons rather than spiritual ones. The fact is that before standardization, the pitch of A fluctuated heavily between 400 Hz and 460 Hz.

cp_768_historictunings.jpg

Fiction: 432 Hz is the frequency of the heart / brain / earth / sun / water

Fact: The frequency of the heart fluctuates between approximately 1 Hz to 2.5Hz. It does not have a steady frequency that can be multiplied to achieve 432 Hz.

Brainwaves or Neural Oscillations range between approximately 1 Hz and 70 Hz and are not tuned to 8 Hz or other divisions of 432 Hz in any way.

The Schumann resonance is a set of electromagnetic oscillations that originate from earth. One of them currently resonates at an average of 7.83Hz and not 8 Hz. which if multiplied by 55 gives us an A=430.65 Hz. Close, but no cigar.

Astronomers at Stanford have recorded super sonic oscillations from the sun at around 5.964 GHz. They had to slow them down (change their pitch) by 42,000 times to accidentally hit the frequency of 142 Hz - and not 144 as claimed by some which would again bring us a frequency of A=426Hz.

Water molecules can vibrate in a wide band of extremely high frequencies close to the infrared spectrum (90–110 Tera Hz). The band is wide enough to not favor any specific frequency, let alone 432 Hz.

https://ask.audio/articles/music-theory-432-hz-tuning-separating-fact-from-fiction

• Like 7

Blueschica, here's more than you may care to read around the 432 mythology. I found it interesting. :)

https://ask.audio/ar...ct-from-fiction

Thanks! That was very interesting and explains the appeal of 432 Hz. I just had never heard about it much, except for a running joke in our house that I never really looked into, that A was always 440 ! Now I get it ! :LOL:

• Like 2

I just gave about half of YYZ at 432 Hz a listen. Seemed like a big nothing burger to me.

That's because the whole 432Hz thing is a bunch of metaphysical BS.

Yes, I fail to see how lowering the pitch of a song by 8Hz makes any meaningful difference.

• Like 4

OK, I'm stupid and I need an explanation ! :LOL: After having three kids in marching band, I am firmly indoctrinated to believe that A = 440 Hz. All the time.

I understand that there is some discussion that 432 Hz is magical. But Rush recorded at whatever sound they recorded, so how could these recordings now be at 432 Hz? Are they tuned down or something? Or are they recording of someone else doing Rush? I'n not quite understanding. But I'll try to find one and give it a listen.

You can use software to change the pitch of digital music. That's all they've done here.

• Like 1

I just gave about half of YYZ at 432 Hz a listen. Seemed like a big nothing burger to me.

Yes, I fail to see how lowering the pitch of a song by 8Hz makes any meaningful difference.

It has been shown in one study somewhere to increase levels of circulating free testosterone and to control aromatization of testosterone to estrogen in non-descript test subjects.* Also to soothe and heal hemorrhoids, however inserting the ear buds can be tricky and a bit uncomfortable.

• Like 5

It was once thought that the atom was what made us - and everything else - what we are .. But beyond the atom is frequency - vibration ..

What differentiates gasoline from wine is frequency .. what makes tree bark different than human skin - frequency

Everything operates and resonates at its own, unique frequency ... Police in Israel use low frequency generators for crowd control .. When the human voice hits a certain note, it was shatter glass - it is all in the frequency ..

For those inclined, this is pretty interesting

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4010966/

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

You just have to have faith in the things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen.

What differentiates gasoline from wine is frequency ...

:blink:

Seems to me it's chemistry...

http://www.firmgreen.com/images/gCNG/gas_molecule.jpg

http://www.compoundchem.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/The-Chemistry-of-Wine-2016-1.png

Edited by goose

1a0hkd.jpg

• Like 1