Star Wars Rebels

LedRush

The series finale just aired, and I throroughly enjoyed it. The first season was a little hit or miss, but the main story line was excellent.

Anyone here watch it?

• Like 1

I used to watch the Clone Wars series when I was in elementary school. I didn't keep up with it by the time it ended, but I always enjoyed it. The few episodes I saw of rebels I didn't really enjoy for various reasons. I though the animation looked like a more kid-friendly attempt at replicating the animation from the Clone Wars, which didn't sit well with me, not to mention the show itself seemed less serious in nature and didn't seem to play by the guidelines of the SW galaxy as well as other spinoffs and side-cannons (I heard in one episode the child protagonist and managed to take out like a whole Star Destroyer with barely more than a straighter and a friend or two and without much difficulty, I realize you could argue it's like Luke in episode four on a smaller scale, but it doesn't feel realistic to me, even with the force at play). I heard from friends it got better as it went on and got a little more serious, but I've still always viewed it as a kind of hokey smaller children's show revolving around characters who are meaningless to the movies. At least The Clone Wars was about what the main movie characters did during that oft-referenced period that no one ever explained in the movies. It made sense to fill in that part of the story. Rebels didn't make sense to me, especially after I'd played through The Force Unleashed video games and seen a more preferable attempt at explaining the kinds of things that happened in those years.

I used to watch the Clone Wars series when I was in elementary school. I didn't keep up with it by the time it ended, but I always enjoyed it. The few episodes I saw of rebels I didn't really enjoy for various reasons. I though the animation looked like a more kid-friendly attempt at replicating the animation from the Clone Wars, which didn't sit well with me, not to mention the show itself seemed less serious in nature and didn't seem to play by the guidelines of the SW galaxy as well as other spinoffs and side-cannons (I heard in one episode the child protagonist and managed to take out like a whole Star Destroyer with barely more than a straighter and a friend or two and without much difficulty, I realize you could argue it's like Luke in episode four on a smaller scale, but it doesn't feel realistic to me, even with the force at play). I heard from friends it got better as it went on and got a little more serious, but I've still always viewed it as a kind of hokey smaller children's show revolving around characters who are meaningless to the movies. At least The Clone Wars was about what the main movie characters did during that oft-referenced period that no one ever explained in the movies. It made sense to fill in that part of the story. Rebels didn't make sense to me, especially after I'd played through The Force Unleashed video games and seen a more preferable attempt at explaining the kinds of things that happened in those years.

I think the animation style throws a lot of people off, but I found the series to be equal parts fun and light and dark and serious. Generally the main story line was serious, often very adult and sometimes somber; while the side stories were more kid friendly. I won't let my 6 year olds watch the show because of how much death, torture, pain, and other adult themes are in it. That is also true of Clone Wars, but that animation style grated on my far more than the Rebels one does.

Anyway, you get more information in Tano, Maul, Vader, Tarkin, Palpatine, Obi-Wan, and General Thrawn, and a much more mature and nuanced look at the force than any Star Wars movie or TV show has taken.