Consistently good vs. inconsistent live singers

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6266 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:39 AM

I mean vocalists who don't really seem to need any help from technology, and who have maintained their youthful timbre over time - although I suppose a sub-category could be singers who were consistently good in their younger days - Ian Anderson, Phil Collins...

Just to start off:

Consistently good:  Jon Anderson, Ann and Nancy Wilson, Freddy Mercury, Tom Petty

Inconsistent:  Geddy Lee, Robert Plant, Joe Elliot

Sponsored Post

#2 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 31670 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:03 AM

What are your thoughts on this?

#3 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6266 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:58 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 02 March 2018 - 01:03 AM, said:

What are your thoughts on this?

First, Nancy Wilson looks unbelievably hot for her age, and has great hair.
Second, Ann Wilson also looks smokin' and is pretty much nailing the tune.
Third, the backup singers are completely unnecessary.
Fourth, Plant looks caught between wistful pride and about to burst into tears

#4 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 23612 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:14 AM

Sammy Hagar still sounds really good.  Diamond Dave does not.

Paul McCartney, incredibly, still has it.

#5 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17045 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Paul Mccartney is still remarkable

Biggest inconsistent singer for me.  James Lebrie by far.

Mick

#6 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:37 PM

I don't agree that Paul McCartney still has it...I've seen clips of some live performances over the last couple years and they are cringe-worthy.  It seems his vocal chords decided to retire a couple years ago.

That being said...he was a tremendous singer, song-writer for decade after decade and had a truly unique, wonderful voice.  Unfortunately, it's mostly gone now.

#7 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:41 PM

What's the consensus on Bruce Dickinson?  I haven't heard much from him lately, but was always amazed at how well he continued to sing...considering how much it sounded like he strained his vocal chords on a regular basis.

#8 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 10651 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:54 PM

View PostRelayer2112, on 02 March 2018 - 02:41 PM, said:

What's the consensus on Bruce Dickinson?  I haven't heard much from him lately, but was always amazed at how well he continued to sing...considering how much it sounded like he strained his vocal chords on a regular basis.

He's still pretty good live. But when I saw them last summer his voice was showing signs of wear but they had also been touring for two years at that point and were towards the end of the tour. So that no doubt played a factor in his voice being a little weaker. He's never taken any singing lessons and his voice is all natural. That's where the vocal strain comes from.

#9 Texas King

Texas King

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1800 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:10 PM

Consistent - Bruce Dickinson
Inconsistent - Ian Gillan

#10 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 17045 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:32 PM

Inconsistent-Geddy Lee., Stevie Nicks

Consistent-Ann Wilson

Mick

#11 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

• Members
  • 17045 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:34 PM

And As much as i love Freddie Mercury,  He could be all over the map.

Mick

#12 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 11804 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:25 PM

I happen to love Graham Bonnet

And at age 70, he still brings it ..

Some of the notes he hits here are remarkable  ..( singing starts @5:55 if interested )

Edited by Lucas, 02 March 2018 - 06:26 PM.

#13 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 4880 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

View Postbluefox4000, on 02 March 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

Mick

Maybe as far as hitting high notes on any particular night, but he never gave any performance less than his absolute all, and whether or not his singing was quite perfect that night, one would always walk away feeling thoroughly entertained. You can't say he was ever an inconsistent all around performer and front man.

#14 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58130 posts
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

Posted Image

Brad Delp was amazing live.

I just realized he's been dead ten years now.  :rose:

#15 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 23612 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:52 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 02 March 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

Mick

Maybe as far as hitting high notes on any particular night, but he never gave any performance less than his absolute all, and whether or not his singing was quite perfect that night, one would always walk away feeling thoroughly entertained. You can't say he was ever an inconsistent all around performer and front man.

Perhaps, but now you’re getting away from the thread point and getting into an even more subjective observation.  By that measure, Ozzy still entertains the crowd now.  His voice is shot though.

#16 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 9165 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:59 PM

James LaBrie is the king of inconsistency. Russel Allen is jaw-droppingly excellent.

Dio also ALWAYS delivered!

#17 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 4880 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:07 PM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 02 March 2018 - 08:52 PM, said:

Mick

Perhaps, but now you’re getting away from the thread point and getting into an even more subjective observation.  By that measure, Ozzy still entertains the crowd now.  His voice is shot though.

Oh no I realize I'm not talking about the thread topic anymore, I just wanted to make sure Freddie's case was fully presented. Yes, he could be inconsistent as a singer live, for various reasons such as writing parts that were too high or technical for him to hit night after night, or just from being so athletic on stage, or for his illness around 1986 first becoming noticeable. I don't deny that at all, but I also care very little if he's having an off night vocally when I watch footage or when I listen to the recordings, because everything else about his performance was always kept to an outstanding standard.

#18 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58130 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:10 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 02 March 2018 - 09:07 PM, said:

Mick

Oh no I realize I'm not talking about the thread topic anymore, I just wanted to make sure Freddie's case was fully presented. Yes, he could be inconsistent as a singer live, for various reasons such as writing parts that were too high or technical for him to hit night after night, or just from being so athletic on stage, or for his illness around 1986 first becoming noticeable. I don't deny that at all, but I also care very little if he's having an off night vocally when I watch footage or when I listen to the recordings, because everything else about his performance was always kept to an outstanding standard.
Freddie was consistently good.

#19 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 4880 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

View Postgoose, on 02 March 2018 - 09:10 PM, said:

Mick

yeah, like, despite what I've said, he was too good of a singer to ever let himself sound anything close to bad. What I mean by inconsistent is he wouldn't always reach the enormously high standard he set for himself in the studio, he would often settle for something easier on his voice or more suited for a live setting, even if it wasn't as amazing, as long as it was still good.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo, 02 March 2018 - 09:17 PM.

#20 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 58130 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:14 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 02 March 2018 - 09:15 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 02 March 2018 - 09:10 PM, said:

Mick

yeah, like, despite what I've said, he was too good of a singer to ever let himself sound anything close to bad. What I mean by inconsistent is he wouldn't always reach the enormously high standard he set for himself in the studio, he would often settle for something easier on his voice or more suited for a live setting, even if it wasn't as amazing, as long as it was still good.
Sometimes the result was better than the studio, like with Spread Your Wings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users