Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2613 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:34 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 01 March 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

View Postfraroc, on 01 March 2018 - 03:45 PM, said:

You asked the right person :)

This setlist is a perfect mixture of all eras of Rush, all equally represented.

1. The Spirit of Radio
2. Subdivisions
3. Limelight
4. Distant Early Warning
5. A. Lock and Key | B/C. One Little Victory
6. Where's My Thing?
7. A/B. Nobody's Hero | C. Cold Fire
8. The Pass
9. Middletown Dreams
10. Xanadu
11. YYZ
12. Clockwork Angels
13. Far Cry

Intermission

14. Dreamline
15. Drum Solo
16. A. Territories | B. The Big Money |  C. Marathon
17. A/B. Red Sector A | C. Between The Wheels
18. Fly By Night
19. Finding My Way/In The Mood medley
20. A. Second Nature | B/C. Force Ten
21. A. Vital Signs | B. The Trees | C. Cinderella Man
22. 2112 (Overture/Temples/Grand Finale)
23. Mystic Rhythms
24. Closer To The Heart

Encore

25. The Enemy Within
26. The Weapon
27. Witch Hunt
28. Tom Sawyer

Damn, these guys are probably just trying to have some fun and make a few extra bucks. No need to get that serious with the set lol.

Lol I dont expect them to do all the songs I wrote down :) Some slots rotate, like during R40.

Sponsored Post

#22 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3508 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 01 March 2018 - 11:32 AM, said:

Kid Gloves...80s Rush fans would appreciate this
A Farewell To Kings...a neglected vintage Rush tune
Beneath, Between, & Behind...can’t get much more old school Rush than this

Love the idea of the last two songs mentioned.  My opinion is that AFTK is the most underrated Rush tune out there.  Probably my biggest regret for not seeing live (other than Lamneth and Necromancer, but I know those werent realistic)

#23 PW_Guitarist

PW_Guitarist

The Seeker

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:12 PM

View PostUltimate Rush Tribute, on 01 March 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

Ok this is actually a real situation and I am looking for serious help.  Humor is accepted also :blush:   The set list and order for our first show is shown below. Since then we have added Distant Early Warning and Dreamline.  So my questions to you are;

1)  Would you enjoy seeing a band play this set list?
2) Where would you add the new songs with this basic format?
3) What format and order do you think would be optimal? (i.e 1 long show, 2 sets, 3 sets, and what order would you put them in.)
4) What songs would you add and what songs if any would you remove?

Have at it.  I look forward to your comments and suggestions. We are getting ready for our second gig which we are hoping with be at the Plaza Theater in Orlando sometime in June and I will be basing that show on what I learn here.

Set 1
Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Limelight
Entrée Nous*
Camera Eye*
New World Man
YYZ
Jacob’s Ladder

Set2
R30 Medley
Tom Sawyer
Closer to the Heart*
Broon’s Bain*
The Trees*
Xanadu**
Analog Kid
Freewill
Red Barchetta
Overature/Temples

(Encore)
La Villa Strangiato

New Songs added since:
Distant Early Warning
Dreamline

I don't know how the live music scene is in Florida, but up here we always run into the same problem: bars want us to play late (up till 2:00 closing), but Rush fans are an older and earlier crowd. We typically do 2-1/2 hours of music in two long sets rather than three shorter ones (to avoid the between-set exodus). The first set is usually longer with the big radio hits for casual fans, and the second has more deep cuts the die-hard fans won't mind waiting around for. You have strong openers/closers for both sets, and your selection is a great mix. I would not change it - don't worry about the post-Signal stuff, it never goes over as well as the classics. I'd add the new songs in the first set since they are bigger radio hits. I'd organize the set as such:

Set 1
Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Limelight
Distant Early Warning
Dreamline
Entre Nous*
New World Man
YYZ
Broon’s Bain*
The Trees*
Xanadu**

Set2
R30 Medley
Analog Kid
Freewill
Jacob’s Ladder
Camera Eye*
Red Barchetta
Closer to the Heart*
Overture/Temples
Tom Sawyer

(Encore)
La Villa Strangiato

#24 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2613 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:56 PM

View PostPW_Guitarist, on 01 March 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

View PostUltimate Rush Tribute, on 01 March 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

Ok this is actually a real situation and I am looking for serious help.  Humor is accepted also :blush:   The set list and order for our first show is shown below. Since then we have added Distant Early Warning and Dreamline.  So my questions to you are;

1)  Would you enjoy seeing a band play this set list?
2) Where would you add the new songs with this basic format?
3) What format and order do you think would be optimal? (i.e 1 long show, 2 sets, 3 sets, and what order would you put them in.)
4) What songs would you add and what songs if any would you remove?

Have at it.  I look forward to your comments and suggestions. We are getting ready for our second gig which we are hoping with be at the Plaza Theater in Orlando sometime in June and I will be basing that show on what I learn here.

Set 1
Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Limelight
Entrée Nous*
Camera Eye*
New World Man
YYZ
Jacob’s Ladder

Set2
R30 Medley
Tom Sawyer
Closer to the Heart*
Broon’s Bain*
The Trees*
Xanadu**
Analog Kid
Freewill
Red Barchetta
Overature/Temples

(Encore)
La Villa Strangiato

New Songs added since:
Distant Early Warning
Dreamline
don't worry about the post-Signal stuff, it never goes over as well as the classics.

BLASTPHEMY

HERESY (lol geddit like the song)

#25 GrandDesigner

GrandDesigner

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1114 posts
  • Interests:Crime, Physics, Cosmology

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:03 AM

From a fan's perspective who's seen an excellent Rush tribute on the east coast (kRush), it's a great set but a little too close to what Rush has played over the years. Part of the fun (for me) of seeing tribute bands is seeing songs that the original band have basically ignored or played very little. In that regards, Entre Nous is a great choice, as is The Camera Eye, but I'd personally like to see more in the extreme deep cut category, such as Cinderella Man or Chemistry or Kid Gloves or whatever. kRush plays a lot of the familiar songs too, but they'll throw in random ones like Half The World, Grand Designs, The Enemy Within that make it super interesting. Half The World isn't in my top 100 favorite Rush songs, but it's still exciting to hear something really rare. Just my $.02 but it's definitely a good set and I'd watch it.

#26 taurus

taurus

The Seeker

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:54 PM

I think you've done a very good job with the set list as is. Good pacing and nice tune selection

As for the 2 additional songs, my suggestion would be Dreamline after TCE and DEW after Freewill

#27 PW_Guitarist

PW_Guitarist

The Seeker

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

View Postfraroc, on 01 March 2018 - 11:56 PM, said:

don't worry about the post-Signal stuff, it never goes over as well as the classics.

BLASTPHEMY

I used to think the same thing... 20 years ago I was in a band that only wanted to do classics and I insisted on doing songs from every album, to the point where it became a major sore point. I later formed a band that agreed to do the newer stuff, but even I was eventually forced to admit that stuff we did like Open Secrets, Alien Shore or Secret Touch never went over as well as Jacob's Ladder, Camera Eye or Circumstances.

Maybe it's a regional thing, or maybe times have changed... Let's face it, everything before Vapor Trails is now considered classic stuff. It is extremely difficult to predict what audiences will like. You get a feel for it by playing a lot of different shows for different crowds, and the numbers don't lie... The biggest turnout we got in the last 5 years was for a re-creation of the Moving Pictures tour.

#28 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32219 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

View PostPW_Guitarist, on 02 March 2018 - 07:54 PM, said:

View Postfraroc, on 01 March 2018 - 11:56 PM, said:

BLASTPHEMY

I used to think the same thing... 20 years ago I was in a band that only wanted to do classics and I insisted on doing songs from every album, to the point where it became a major sore point. I later formed a band that agreed to do the newer stuff, but even I was eventually forced to admit that stuff we did like Open Secrets, Alien Shore or Secret Touch never went over as well as Jacob's Ladder, Camera Eye or Circumstances.

Maybe it's a regional thing, or maybe times have changed... Let's face it, everything before Vapor Trails is now considered classic stuff. It is extremely difficult to predict what audiences will like. You get a feel for it by playing a lot of different shows for different crowds, and the numbers don't lie... The biggest turnout we got in the last 5 years was for a re-creation of the Moving Pictures tour.

If I were in a Rush tribute band and chose an entire album to play I’d go with Permanent Waves. It’s almost certainly in Rush’s top 3 most popular albums among fans. I’d start the second set with it.

#29 PW_Guitarist

PW_Guitarist

The Seeker

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 02 March 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

If I were in a Rush tribute band and chose an entire album to play I’d go with Permanent Waves. It’s almost certainly in Rush’s top 3 most popular albums among fans. I’d start the second set with it.

So far, we've done the Hemispheres and Moving Pictures albums in their entirety at shows. I have suggested Permanent Waves since we are only short "Different Strings", but so far, no dice... A trio cannot be a democracy, it has to be unanimity - that's how Rush outlasted The Police :):):).

#30 Ultimate Rush Tribute

Ultimate Rush Tribute

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Redskins, Golf, Boating, Family, Keg Parties and Crypto-currency.

Posted 06 March 2018 - 02:49 PM

For the next gig we are a little tight to learn too many new tunes so I stuck with Distant Early Warning, Dreamline, Time Stands Still and Red Sector A.  If any of you live anywhere near Orlando the show will be in June. Still finalizing the date but it will be a Friday or Saturday night!  Will keep you posted.

Set 1
Space Odyssey 2001
Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Limelight
Entré Nous*
The Camera Eye*
Dreamline
New World Man
YYZ
Jacob’s Ladder

Set2
R30 Medley
Tom Sawyer
Time Stands Still
Closer to the Heart*
Broon’s Bain*
The Trees*
Xanadu**
Analog Kid
Freewill
Distant Early Warning
Red Barchetta
Overature/Temples

(Encore)
Red Sector A
La Villa Strangiato

Edited by Ultimate Rush Tribute, 06 March 2018 - 02:51 PM.

#31 Red3angel

Red3angel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:60s Bond. Art . Sade . Robert plant . The police

Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:20 AM

Xanadu
Anarchist
Red sector a
Spirit of radio
Marathon
Bravado
New world man
Far cry
One little victory

Set 2
Countdown
Analog kid
Entre nous
Freewill
Limelight
Fly by night
Anthem
Tom sawyer
Headlong flight
Earthshine

#32 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4570 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

View PostUltimate Rush Tribute, on 06 March 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

For the next gig we are a little tight to learn too many new tunes so I stuck with Distant Early Warning, Dreamline, Time Stands Still and Red Sector A.  If any of you live anywhere near Orlando the show will be in June. Still finalizing the date but it will be a Friday or Saturday night!  Will keep you posted.

Set 1
Space Odyssey 2001
Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Limelight
Entré Nous*
The Camera Eye*
Dreamline
New World Man
YYZ
Jacob’s Ladder

Set2
R30 Medley
Tom Sawyer
Time Stands Still
Closer to the Heart*
Broon’s Bain*
The Trees*
Xanadu**
Analog Kid
Freewill
Distant Early Warning
Red Barchetta
Overature/Temples

(Encore)
Red Sector A
La Villa Strangiato
To me, you have some 'snoozer' tunes in the middle of each set that might lose audience interest. The Camera Eye just needs to go...it's not all that interesting a live tune. Replace it with something harder from the earlier years...like a shortened version of Bytor, Bastille Day or Anthem.

The second set I would start with something else that kicks it in gear like Analog Kid or Freewill. Then move the r30 Medley to the middle or back end of the set. Actually Bastille Day would kick ass starting the second set.

Avoid doing Working Man...that seems like too easy of a song for tribute band to use to kill alot of time. I think you could work up an extend jam version of Headlong Flight that would replace the temptation of doing Working Man. You could also incorporate a shortened drum solo into HF.

Edited by HemiBeers, 11 March 2018 - 11:20 AM.

#33 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2613 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:36 PM

View PostUltimate Rush Tribute, on 06 March 2018 - 02:49 PM, said:

Set 1
Space Odyssey 2001
Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Limelight
Entré Nous*
The Camera Eye*
Dreamline
New World Man
YYZ
Jacob’s Ladder

Set2
R30 Medley
Tom Sawyer
Time Stands Still
Closer to the Heart*
Broon’s Bain*
The Trees*
Xanadu**
Analog Kid
Freewill
Distant Early Warning
Red Barchetta
Overature/Temples

(Encore)
Red Sector A
La Villa Strangiato

Now that's a pretty decent setlist :) A little more balanced with a few more 80s tunes mixed in!

However, to me, Red Sector A is a bit more of a "middle of the set" song than an ending song. It is very cool that you included it, though! You'd probably be giving the Geddy impersonator a little bit of a rest from having the bass strapped on him for the whole show.

If I could be so bold as to give you some more ideas, I would rearrange this setlist in a few locations..

Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Limelight
Force Ten
The Camera Eye
Digital Man*
Dreamline
Territories**
YYZ
Jacob’s Ladder

Set2

Hemispheres Prelude
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
Red Sector A
Time Stands Still
Closer to the Heart
The Trees
Xanadu
Analog Kid
Freewill
Mystic Rhythms
Red Barchetta
The Enemy Within
The Weapon
Witch Hunt
Freeze

(Encore)
Overture/Temples
La Villa Strangiato
In The Mood***

*=Sometimes replaced with Stick It Out or Show Don't Tell
**=Sometimes replaced with The Big Money or Manhattan Project
***=Sometimes replaced with Working Man or Fly By Night

#34 Ultimate Rush Tribute

Ultimate Rush Tribute

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Redskins, Golf, Boating, Family, Keg Parties and Crypto-currency.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:08 PM

Changing it up a little...  adding Witch Hunt and Vital Signs so we now do the entire MP album.  I think that is a good marketing point.

Set 1
Space Odyssey 2001
Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Dreamline
Closer to the Heart*
Entré Nous
Analog Kid
Broon’s Bane
The Trees
Xanadu

Set2
Tom Sawyer  
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs

R30 Overture-----   Drum Solo
Freewill
Distant Early Warning
Overture/Temples of Syrinx
Jacob’s Ladder

(Encore)
La Villa Strangiato

* R30 Overture" (instrumental medley representing excerpts of 6 songs from the band's first 6 albums; the songs were "Finding My Way", "Anthem", "Bastille Day", "A Passage to Bangkok", "Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage", and "Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres")

Edited by Ultimate Rush Tribute, 20 March 2018 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users