Jump to content


What's your random encounter with a famous person?


  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32022 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:39 AM

View Postgoose, on 08 March 2018 - 01:07 AM, said:

I used to give sports commentator Colin Cowherd a hard time at the bar back in college (Eastern Washington).  He was just breaking into the tv business as a local weatherman, and I razzed him about being a celebrity pretty hard.  I guess he showed me, though!  :P

Back in ‘97, Cowerd sold his old sofa to my old flatmate & I after we had just moved to Portland a week earlier. Since we were new to the NW at that time, we had no idea who he was or even the tv station he mentioned. He had a pretty cool place in downtown Portland. He was even showing us pics and medals of his wife who was a pro runner. He helped us load his sofa into our van and that was that. Seemed like a nice guy.

Several weeks later in a pot-crazed blur, my flatmate & I saw Cowerd on tv reporting the weather. We laughed hard on his old sofa, patted it, and shouted “Colin!” We ended up doing this anytime we saw him reporting the weather: shouting the “Colin!”, patting the sofa, and...the other ‘stuff’ :blaze:

:lol:

Sponsored Post

#22 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 59548 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:30 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 08 March 2018 - 01:39 AM, said:

View Postgoose, on 08 March 2018 - 01:07 AM, said:

I used to give sports commentator Colin Cowherd a hard time at the bar back in college (Eastern Washington).  He was just breaking into the tv business as a local weatherman, and I razzed him about being a celebrity pretty hard.  I guess he showed me, though!  :P

Back in ‘97, Cowerd sold his old sofa to my old flatmate & I after we had just moved to Portland a week earlier. Since we were new to the NW at that time, we had no idea who he was or even the tv station he mentioned. He had a pretty cool place in downtown Portland. He was even showing us pics and medals of his wife who was a pro runner. He helped us load his sofa into our van and that was that. Seemed like a nice guy.

Several weeks later in a pot-crazed blur, my flatmate & I saw Cowerd on tv reporting the weather. We laughed hard on his old sofa, patted it, and shouted “Colin!” We ended up doing this anytime we saw him reporting the weather: shouting the “Colin!”, patting the sofa, and...the other ‘stuff’ :blaze:

:lol:
So you and I have a Cowherd connection?  Could Colin be the Kevin Bacon of RUSH fans?

#23 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32022 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

View Postgoose, on 08 March 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 08 March 2018 - 01:39 AM, said:

View Postgoose, on 08 March 2018 - 01:07 AM, said:

I used to give sports commentator Colin Cowherd a hard time at the bar back in college (Eastern Washington).  He was just breaking into the tv business as a local weatherman, and I razzed him about being a celebrity pretty hard.  I guess he showed me, though!  :P

Back in ‘97, Cowherd sold his old sofa to my old flatmate & I after we had just moved to Portland a week earlier. Since we were new to the NW at that time, we had no idea who he was or even the tv station he mentioned. He had a pretty cool place in downtown Portland. He was even showing us pics and medals of his wife who was a pro runner. He helped us load his sofa into our van and that was that. Seemed like a nice guy.

Several weeks later in a pot-crazed blur, my flatmate & I saw Cowherd on tv reporting the weather. We laughed hard on his old sofa, patted it, and shouted “Colin!” We ended up doing this anytime we saw him reporting the weather: shouting the “Colin!”, patting the sofa, and...the other ‘stuff’ :blaze:

:lol:
So you and I have a Cowherd connection?  Could Colin be the Kevin Bacon of RUSH fans?

:lol:

It’s funny and FUN how he’s a pretty random name you came up with that I just happened to have bought a sofa from over twenty years ago! Small world!

Just a few years ago that same former flatmate, who’s still in Portland, told me how Colin Cowherd got to be a pretty well-known sports commentator. I said to him, “Colin Cowherd?! The guy who sold us that first sofa and who was the Portland weather guy?!” He goes, “Yeah, the sofa guy!”

Bacon for all !

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 08 March 2018 - 10:49 AM.


#24 liquidcrystalcompass

liquidcrystalcompass

    Ugly Betty is keeping me AWAKE!

  • Members *
  • 20078 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Fort Worth, Texas
  • Interests:Family, Sports, Music, Reading, The Outdoors, Ted Nugent

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:28 PM

View Postblueschica, on 03 March 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

It's been awhile but back in the day when I used to live in larger towns I ran into and spoke to a few.  Michael J. Fox, George Carlin, Willie Stargell, Dave Parker (both those are baseball players), Bill Clinton, Sen. Alan Cranston.

My mom and dad went out to eat with my sister this fall in Pittsburgh and sat at a table next to Franco Harris.  My mom told me this and said she gave him a little wave and then left him alone because he was treating elderly relatives to dinner. My mom tells me this long story and I spoke to my sister later the same day.  So I say, "I hear you ate dinner next to Franco Harris!"  and told her what mom said.  She says , "What??  My chair was sitting so that my back was to that table.  Mom didn't even say anything!  I wondered who she was waving at!"  :facepalm:
Hey!  If someone doesn't know Willie Stargell or Dave Parker, let them figure it out on their own.  It may give them a nice sports education.  Hell, maybe they'll see the We Are Family video.  I was a kid back then and I always wanted a Pirate cap.

#25 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32022 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:39 PM

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 08 March 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 03 March 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

It's been awhile but back in the day when I used to live in larger towns I ran into and spoke to a few.  Michael J. Fox, George Carlin, Willie Stargell, Dave Parker (both those are baseball players), Bill Clinton, Sen. Alan Cranston.

My mom and dad went out to eat with my sister this fall in Pittsburgh and sat at a table next to Franco Harris.  My mom told me this and said she gave him a little wave and then left him alone because he was treating elderly relatives to dinner. My mom tells me this long story and I spoke to my sister later the same day.  So I say, "I hear you ate dinner next to Franco Harris!"  and told her what mom said.  She says , "What??  My chair was sitting so that my back was to that table.  Mom didn't even say anything!  I wondered who she was waving at!"  :facepalm:
Hey!  If someone doesn't know Willie Stargell or Dave Parker, let them figure it out on their own.  It may give them a nice sports education.  Hell, maybe they'll see the We Are Family video.  I was a kid back then and I always wanted a Pirate cap.
The first time I made a bet I was 7 years and the Steelers beat the Rams in Super Bowl whatever in ‘79 or ‘80.

A glorious one dollar winnings victory! :blaze:

#26 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 7189 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:04 PM

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 08 March 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 03 March 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

It's been awhile but back in the day when I used to live in larger towns I ran into and spoke to a few.  Michael J. Fox, George Carlin, Willie Stargell, Dave Parker (both those are baseball players), Bill Clinton, Sen. Alan Cranston.

My mom and dad went out to eat with my sister this fall in Pittsburgh and sat at a table next to Franco Harris.  My mom told me this and said she gave him a little wave and then left him alone because he was treating elderly relatives to dinner. My mom tells me this long story and I spoke to my sister later the same day.  So I say, "I hear you ate dinner next to Franco Harris!"  and told her what mom said.  She says , "What??  My chair was sitting so that my back was to that table.  Mom didn't even say anything!  I wondered who she was waving at!"  :facepalm:
Hey!  If someone doesn't know Willie Stargell or Dave Parker, let them figure it out on their own.  It may give them a nice sports education.  Hell, maybe they'll see the We Are Family video.  I was a kid back then and I always wanted a Pirate cap.
I was a kid too, in middle school I think ?? We used to take the bus to Pirate games in the summer and hang around the players' parking lot afterward, to get autographs. The Pirates were very friendly when they won. Gotta love the openness of the 70's !

Edited by blueschica, 08 March 2018 - 09:05 PM.


#27 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32410 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:48 PM

My mom and dad were in Carmel for the weekend at some low key cool pet friendly tiny hotel years ago.  My dad went downstairs to hang out at the bar as my mom was getting ready to go out to dinner.
Well Robert Englund came up to my dad and sat down next to him.  They both had a drink together.  Robert was a very nice and funny guy.  They talked about Freddie Kruger a bit but funny enough my mom and dad loved that "V" tv series decades ago.  Robert was very impressed that my dad knew about his acting role in that sci fi tv show!

#28 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 59548 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Comical conies

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:55 PM

View Postblueschica, on 08 March 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 08 March 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 03 March 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

It's been awhile but back in the day when I used to live in larger towns I ran into and spoke to a few.  Michael J. Fox, George Carlin, Willie Stargell, Dave Parker (both those are baseball players), Bill Clinton, Sen. Alan Cranston.

My mom and dad went out to eat with my sister this fall in Pittsburgh and sat at a table next to Franco Harris.  My mom told me this and said she gave him a little wave and then left him alone because he was treating elderly relatives to dinner. My mom tells me this long story and I spoke to my sister later the same day.  So I say, "I hear you ate dinner next to Franco Harris!"  and told her what mom said.  She says , "What??  My chair was sitting so that my back was to that table.  Mom didn't even say anything!  I wondered who she was waving at!"  :facepalm:
Hey!  If someone doesn't know Willie Stargell or Dave Parker, let them figure it out on their own.  It may give them a nice sports education.  Hell, maybe they'll see the We Are Family video.  I was a kid back then and I always wanted a Pirate cap.
I was a kid too, in middle school I think ?? We used to take the bus to Pirate games in the summer and hang around the players' parking lot afterward, to get autographs. The Pirates were very friendly when they won. Gotta love the openness of the 70's !
A great era for sports.  :yes:

How about sidearm slinger Kent Tekulvey?

#29 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32410 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 08 March 2018 - 09:59 PM

My random encounters?  I have a ton.

Of course you all know my Neil Peart encounter.

Carl Weathers
James Brown
Mark McGwire
Jose Canseco
The Eck
Tony LaRussa
Rickey Henderson
Chris Mullin
Jason Newsted
Brad Gillis
Jack Blades
Rudy Sarzo
John Davidson
Ray Fosse
Joe Morgan
Mike Davis
Vince Neil
Khalil Mack
Mark Davis
Tom Flores
Greg Papa
Cliff Branch
David Coverdale and Tawny Kitaen
Eric Martin

#30 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32022 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:39 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 March 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

My random encounters?  I have a ton.

David Coverdale and Tawny Kitaen


Threesome?

#31 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32022 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 March 2018 - 10:47 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 March 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:


Carl Weathers






#32 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32410 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:53 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 08 March 2018 - 10:39 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 March 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

My random encounters?  I have a ton.

David Coverdale and Tawny Kitaen


Threesome?

Hahaha!  Nope!  In the lobby at Bally's in Reno after seeing Andrew Dice Clay!  Both were wearing sunglasses.  Of course I had a few beers in me so I ran up to them and said HELLO!  They just looked at me and ran out of the lobby and into a limo.

#33 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32410 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:54 PM

Ron Jeremy at The Rainbow.  Sunset Strip.  He wanted to kiss my ex wife.

#34 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32410 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:55 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 08 March 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 March 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

Carl Weathers






Yes!

He is a total mean asshole in person.  I used to work with his son at Safeway.  He was a wonderful kid.  He didn't care for his dad either.  Matt Weathers is Carl's son. A great guy.  Unlike his dad.

#35 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32022 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:15 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 March 2018 - 11:54 PM, said:

Ron Jeremy at The Rainbow.  Sunset Strip.  He wanted to kiss my ex wife.

His lips must’ve been filthy!

#36 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32022 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:17 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 March 2018 - 11:55 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 08 March 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 March 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

Carl Weathers






Yes!

He is a total mean asshole in person.  I used to work with his son at Safeway.  He was a wonderful kid.  He didn't care for his dad either.  Matt Weathers is Carl's son. A great guy.  Unlike his dad.

He’s still sore for losing the title to Balboa back in ‘79

#37 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32410 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:29 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 March 2018 - 12:17 AM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 March 2018 - 11:55 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 08 March 2018 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 08 March 2018 - 09:59 PM, said:

Carl Weathers






Yes!

He is a total mean asshole in person.  I used to work with his son at Safeway.  He was a wonderful kid.  He didn't care for his dad either.  Matt Weathers is Carl's son. A great guy.  Unlike his dad.

He’s still sore for losing the title to Balboa back in ‘79

Hahaha!!!   That could be true!

#38 blueschica

blueschica

    What the Puck?

  • Members
  • 7189 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Central Pa
  • Interests:Camping, gardening, muscle cars, NASCAR, Rush!

Posted 09 March 2018 - 01:08 AM

View Postgoose, on 08 March 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 08 March 2018 - 09:04 PM, said:

View Postliquidcrystalcompass, on 08 March 2018 - 07:28 PM, said:

View Postblueschica, on 03 March 2018 - 06:07 PM, said:

It's been awhile but back in the day when I used to live in larger towns I ran into and spoke to a few.  Michael J. Fox, George Carlin, Willie Stargell, Dave Parker (both those are baseball players), Bill Clinton, Sen. Alan Cranston.

My mom and dad went out to eat with my sister this fall in Pittsburgh and sat at a table next to Franco Harris.  My mom told me this and said she gave him a little wave and then left him alone because he was treating elderly relatives to dinner. My mom tells me this long story and I spoke to my sister later the same day.  So I say, "I hear you ate dinner next to Franco Harris!"  and told her what mom said.  She says , "What??  My chair was sitting so that my back was to that table.  Mom didn't even say anything!  I wondered who she was waving at!"  :facepalm:
Hey!  If someone doesn't know Willie Stargell or Dave Parker, let them figure it out on their own.  It may give them a nice sports education.  Hell, maybe they'll see the We Are Family video.  I was a kid back then and I always wanted a Pirate cap.
I was a kid too, in middle school I think ?? We used to take the bus to Pirate games in the summer and hang around the players' parking lot afterward, to get autographs. The Pirates were very friendly when they won. Gotta love the openness of the 70's !
A great era for sports.  :yes:

How about sidearm slinger Kent Tekulvey?

He was the best!  Such a bean pole and so good with that arm!  He actually was a color guy for the local channel that broadcast the Pirates for quite a few years; he just retired from that at the end of last season.  As you could probably guess, he was very good with breaking down what pitchers were doing and explaining the new (to me) way that pitchers are used now.

#39 KenJennings

KenJennings

    Mr. Establishment

  • Members *
  • 20423 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:17 PM

I always hoped Carl Weathers would run for Governor somewhere. He's just about the only guy from Predator who hasn't done it yet.

#40 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32022 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 March 2018 - 11:37 PM

View PostKenJennings, on 09 March 2018 - 11:17 PM, said:

I always hoped Carl Weathers would run for Governor somewhere. He's just about the only guy from Predator who hasn't done it yet.

He did a skit on that on SNL back in the 90s I think




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users