1960s, 70s, 80s Kids Stuff

Lucas

Next is the Mattel 'Thingmaker' duo.

YBJ4SXs.jpg

AJEoGAF.jpg

still have the 'Thingmaker' and all the molds for both sets! They still sell Plastigoop, so I'm good to go whenever! And I also had one of there

ALP6OJf.jpg

BXsNtVm.jpg

dmDWTJI.jpgHere's my first bicycle, a MATTEL [again] V-RROOM! Bicycle, with electronic plastic 'motor' that made the engine sound. The gas tank is actually a compartment for storing stuff. I kept my 'girl watching' 'Bikini sun glasses' in mine, for when I was riding.

jXasbkU.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 1

The KISS comic book colored with real blood!

Thundershift 500 - best goddamned toy ever

Mecanno and Lego

What does it say about me that I remember more of the toys I had than the people I went to school with?

Oh god yes, the Hot Wheels stuff was the best

I had the AFX cars too, and this Evel Knievel wind up character

evel-knievel-toys-1.jpg

I had that, too.

• Like 1

Does anyone remember "super elastic bubble plastic" from the mid seventies? In retrospect, playing with that stuff was most likely akin to smoking three packs of cigarettes a day.

I remember playing with mercury. These days, they'll shut down an entire school if mercury gets loose.
  • Like 2

Does anyone remember "super elastic bubble plastic" from the mid seventies? In retrospect, playing with that stuff was most likely akin to smoking three packs of cigarettes a day.

I remember playing with mercury. These days, they'll shut down an entire school if mercury gets loose.

oh boy, me too

My Dad dabbled in making jewelry and he had this little cabinet with all kinds of mysterious stuff - there were little vials of mercury - god knows why - but this stuff was like something from The Outer Limits

:LOL:

• Like 2

The glow-in-the-dark Aurora models and the prehistoric series ... Every night I would fall asleep to a sea of glowing heads across the room

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-ngEN6bXi7jo/TtPI1UAS1uI/AAAAAAAAZJ0/DWopaQADn2k/s1600/PRISONER.jpg

d37bd296b20edbc3a11c2c95adec7c9c.jpg

http://www.collecttoys.net/1960s-Toys/Monsters/images/creature-aurora.jpg

http://www.battlegrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/aurora02.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

Yup. Had one as soon as they came out, and a year or so later, got a FRIGHT FACTORY too. Still have one of the THINGMAKERS and all the molds. Plastigoop is still made, and I can still do all the cool stuff I used to!

dDMuZuv.gif

Yep I had this also. I remember it really stunk when you made them - highly toxic? Also I had a wood burning set which was basically an implement that you plugged in and it became red hot and you could burn designs into wood. Don't think that would pass the safety tests today!

• Like 3

The only Aurora monster model I had was the Mummy model, it was a glow in the dark one , but I also had Barnabas Collins Model, glow in the dark also.siigQ2a.jpgwOWJe1m.jpg

O30JbRV.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 3

Yep! My dad saw it and thought I was sniffing it. He said "I'll give you something to sniff.". At the time he worked at a plastic injection molding plant, making parts for the automobile plants. Brought home something he called "mask wash", used for cleaning the molds. A mix of toulene, benzine, and other solvents that made model airplane glue smell like Near Beer.
  • Like 3

Yup. Had one as soon as they came out, and a year or so later, got a FRIGHT FACTORY too. Still have one of the THINGMAKERS and all the molds. Plastigoop is still made, and I can still do all the cool stuff I used to!

dDMuZuv.gif

Yep I had this also. I remember it really stunk when you made them - highly toxic? Also I had a wood burning set which was basically an implement that you plugged in and it became red hot and you could burn designs into wood. Don't think that would pass the safety tests today!

I had a wood burning set at this time to, and eventually had to replace the wood burning tool. still used it for electronics work until I replaced that tool with a gun style soldering gun.

• Like 3

oh boy, me too

My Dad dabbled in making jewelry and he had this little cabinet with all kinds of mysterious stuff - there were little vials of mercury - god knows why - but this stuff was like something from The Outer Limits

oh I had the uber cool science teacher in middle school that let us do dangerous stuff...like poke a little pile of mercury around on the counter.

his other treat was to put soapy water in the sink and stick the gas hose in it. Then scoop up a little pile in your hand and put it next to the bunson burner. Wooosh! He let everyone in the class try it once. Make sure there's none under your hand before you light it kids.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

oh boy, me too

oh I had the uber cool science teacher in middle school that let us do dangerous stuff...like poke a little pile of mercury around on the counter.

his other treat was to put soapy water in the sink and stick the gas hose in it. Then scoop up a little pile in your hand and put it next to the bunson burner. Wooosh! He let everyone in the class try it once. Make sure there's none under your hand before you light it kids.

My high school chemistry teacher had us all gather around her desk. She had a pan of water - about 1/2" deep. She pulled a chunk of pure sodium out of its jar and put it in the water. It fizzled for a few seconds .... and then BOOM!! :haz:

• Like 3

dDMuZuv.gif

I had a wood burning set at this time to, and eventually had to replace the wood burning tool. still used it for electronics work until I replaced that tool with a gun style soldering gun.

YES !!! I forgot about the wood burning set.

Yep! My dad saw it and thought I was sniffing it. He said "I'll give you something to sniff.". At the time he worked at a plastic injection molding plant, making parts for the automobile plants. Brought home something he called "mask wash", used for cleaning the molds. A mix of toulene, benzine, and other solvents that made model airplane glue smell like Near Beer.

• Like 2

http://www.samstoybox.com/toypics/FrustrationBallBoxArt.jpg
  • Like 3

Toys back then look waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more different then they do now!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, they were better!

In the 90s there were retro toys/figures made as homages to the 60s & 70s versions.

But in 2018 I don’t think I’ve seen any toys/figures made as homages to those made in the 90s.

There's been a few things, but they're mostly lame like Tomagotchis and the demon hellspawn known as Furby. I do like the 90s Marvel throwbacks that came out last year though:

M84064d.jpg

That's how Wolverine looked to an eight year old little Stormtron and that's how he should still look, damnit.

80s toys are where it's at for me though. I was a 3.75 G.I. Joe maniac. They had so many vehicles and shit! I used to make stop motion movie masterpieces with them and make my Grandparents watch them. Bless them!

I appreciate a lot of the 70s stuff too. There's so many great monster toys from that era. My favorite now are the Mego style retro figures that NECA started putting out a few years ago. I've got a bunch of these in my room of junk (the packaging is great!):

http://i.imgur.com/WehEYUJ.jpg

The small G.I. Joes from the early 80s were also great because they had the swivel arm thing going on. They were the first figures that did that I think. But even the first line of small G.I Joes that did NOT have the swivel arms were great because of the detail and accessories. I had a lot from both lines. I got Duke for free from some mail-in giveaway.

So did I!

• Like 1

I remember the vile smelling stuff, but I don't remember if I ever played with it. I know I had friends that had it...that is why I remember the smell.

PQBIWwl.gif

HotWheels, of course, came out in 1968, and this was my first. wwPYN9e.jpg

I had this one. :)

I still have all of my HotWheels except the Boss Hoss Silver Special, the Chome one you got when you signed up for the HotWheels club in the late

'60s I signed up in '69. it was stolen from me in '70.

PhiMEmh.jpg

eVKOe08.gif

• Like 1

Wolly Willy, the face picture with the enclosed iron filings and the rod magnet used to distribute the filings to look like head and facial hair.
  • Like 1