Zakk Wylde

Sponsored Post

#42 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 11414 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

Hetfield has lost range and power over the years but he's not a weak singer. From Ride The Lightning through the Black Album he had one of the more powerful voices in metal.

#43 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5645 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:47 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 February 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:24 PM, said:

James Hetfield
I was struggling to think of any until this came along. Hetfield's voice and Hammet's repetitiveness as a lead guitarist are probably my two least favorite things about Metallica.

Amen my brother!  It boggles my mind that Metallica can still sell out shows world wide in minutes and they are simply shite to me.

I've said this a million times.  Once Cliff passed away on that damn bus Metallica was OVER!

Sure, "And Justice For All" is a polished prog metal album with no bass and it's good.  "The Black Album" is a commercial MTV record.  Good for them.  But YUCKY!!!  Then you throw in a lazy fat Lars on the drums?  The band truly is St. Anus.

CLIFF EM ALL!

I love ...AJFA, proof Lars was a great drummer at one point. But again, Hetfield's voice is about as enticing as an autotuned Tom Arya. The music does the heavy lifting on that album though, and despite the bassless, dry production, Kirk's ever more apparent lack of interesting solo ideas, and Hetfield's seemingly rangeless plastic vocals...they pull it off. Testament to the songwriting and rhythm work going on there. (also Testament is a great band)

#44 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32758 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 February 2018 - 09:47 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:42 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 February 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:24 PM, said:

James Hetfield
I was struggling to think of any until this came along. Hetfield's voice and Hammet's repetitiveness as a lead guitarist are probably my two least favorite things about Metallica.

Amen my brother!  It boggles my mind that Metallica can still sell out shows world wide in minutes and they are simply shite to me.

I've said this a million times.  Once Cliff passed away on that damn bus Metallica was OVER!

Sure, "And Justice For All" is a polished prog metal album with no bass and it's good.  "The Black Album" is a commercial MTV record.  Good for them.  But YUCKY!!!  Then you throw in a lazy fat Lars on the drums?  The band truly is St. Anus.

CLIFF EM ALL!

I love ...AJFA, proof Lars was a great drummer at one point. But again, Hetfield's voice is about as enticing as an autotuned Tom Arya. The music does the heavy lifting on that album though, and despite the bassless, dry production, Kirk's ever more apparent lack of interesting solo ideas, and Hetfield's seemingly rangeless plastic vocals...they pull it off. Testament to the songwriting and rhythm work going on there. (also Testament is a great band)

Agreed.  Lars was great of the first four records.

Testament is a local band around here too.  Excellent METAL.

#45 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32758 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:50 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 25 February 2018 - 09:47 PM, said:

Hetfield has lost range and power over the years but he's not a weak singer. From Ride The Lightning through the Black Album he had one of the more powerful voices in metal.

Never had any range period.  But the first three records are masterpieccesofpuppets!  LOL!

#46 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5645 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:51 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 25 February 2018 - 09:47 PM, said:

Sorry to disagree. His voice just sounds limited and amateurish to me, especially on their earlier work. KEM he could get away with just screaming his head off and pretending he was a higher pitched Lemmy, but by AJFA he just sounds neutered to me. I actually like Load and Reload if only for the fact that James changes his approach to vocals on those albums and tries to sing with a little more emotion and passion rather than the raw aggression he'd relied on earlier. He isn't great at it still, but it's much more heartfelt to my ears.

#47 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5645 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:57 PM

U2 also comes to mind. As I recall, when Bono first joined the band, according to The Edge, he couldn't hardly carry a tune. He got better of course and by the late 80s early 90s was actually a very effective and affecting singer...but then he started smoking and now his voice is shot and average again. Dumb decision.

#48 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 11414 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

Zakk Wylde

I think his voice is easier to accept when you realise he probably learned how to sing from Ozzy and all Zakk is doing is paying tribute to him with his vocal style.

#49 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 25224 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:12 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:22 PM, said:

Let's face it.  How many AC/DC albums are incredible from start to finish since "Back In Black?"  NONE!

Every one of them Earl.  :)

#50 thirteen

thirteen

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:20 PM

Great band, weak vocalist?

The answer is a resounding MEGADETH.

Mods, you can close this thread now.

#51 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32219 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:24 PM

View Postthirteen, on 25 February 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

Great band, weak vocalist?

The answer is a resounding MEGADETH.

Mods, you can close this thread now.

Jeez yeah. Forgot all about Dave’s vocals. I can thank my subconscious for suppressing them.

Instrumentally, top notch.

#52 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5645 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:25 PM

Love Megadave's vocals. To my ears, much more creative and affecting than Hetfeild, and much more musical than Arya. Only Belladonna passes him up in my book.

But obviously not for everyone, I don't begrudge anyone for hating it, lol.

#53 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 11414 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:40 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 February 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

Love Megadave's vocals. To my ears, much more creative and affecting than Hetfeild, and much more musical than Arya. Only Belladonna passes him up in my book.

There is no other vocal style that could have made Megadeth work as well as they did. Mustaine is far from a good singer but has a unique one of a kind voice that helped to differentiate the band from everyone else.

#54 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32758 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:43 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 February 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

U2 also comes to mind. As I recall, when Bono first joined the band, according to The Edge, he couldn't hardly carry a tune. He got better of course and by the late 80s early 90s was actually a very effective and affecting singer...but then he started smoking and now his voice is shot and average again. Dumb decision.

Kid!  I love your music mind!!!!

Bono was great on everything to "The Joshua Tree."  He SUCKS NOW!  Beyond WEAK.

Larry Mullen Jr was a great drummer.  Now he looks like a bored Irish drummer waiting for his next dose of sleeping pills.  So sad.

#55 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32758 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:45 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 25 February 2018 - 10:40 PM, said:

There is no other vocal style that could have made Megadeth work as well as they did. Mustaine is far from a good singer but has a unique one of a kind voice that helped to differentiate the band from everyone else.

I will take Dave over James any day!  Hell!  Dave wrote most of "Kill Em All!"

My favorite album is "Countdown To Extinction!"

#56 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5645 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:49 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

I can't choose between Countdown and Rust. Both are phenomenal.

#57 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5645 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:50 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 10:43 PM, said:

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 February 2018 - 09:57 PM, said:

Kid!  I love your music mind!!!!

Bono was great on everything to "The Joshua Tree."  He SUCKS NOW!  Beyond WEAK.

Larry Mullen Jr was a great drummer.  Now he looks like a bored Irish drummer waiting for his next dose of sleeping pills.  So sad.

I'd argue he put in good stuff on Achtung Baby as well, and that it didn't really show how bad he'd gotten till the early 2000s, but he never topped that period from 87 to 90.

#58 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5645 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:51 PM

Exactly! Name me someone else who could've made the same two or three vocal melodies in Holy Wars work so well!

#59 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

The Oracle

• Members
  • 11414 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:52 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 February 2018 - 10:49 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 10:45 PM, said:

I can't choose between Countdown and Rust. Both are phenomenal.

Rust is better. I love Countdown but I think the album loses a little momentum during the second half. Can't say that about Rust. Countdown does finish well with the excellent Ashes In Your Mouth.

Edited by J2112YYZ, 25 February 2018 - 10:53 PM.

#60 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32219 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:55 PM

In regards to “no other vocal style”, that’s impossible to know since we’re so used to Dave on vocals.

Liking Dave on vocals or not is a different matter and simply a matter of preference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users