Jump to content


Great bands with weak vocalists?


  • Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#21 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 11414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:21 PM

I'm not the biggest fan of the Chili Peppers but didn't they get much bigger once Keidas started singing more?

Sponsored Post

#22 thirteen

thirteen

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 975 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:22 PM

View Postcustom55, on 25 February 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

AC/DC - I cannot stand Brian Johnson's voice.   Fingernails on a chalkboard.  
Is this thread about weak singers or singers we dislike?

Not liking Brian Johnson's singing is one thing, but prime Brian Johnson sure as hell wasn't 'weak'.

https://www.youtube....h?v=BGWm4ASP4zk

#23 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 11414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:25 PM

View Postfraroc, on 25 February 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

Hang me, shoot me, I don't give a f**k.

Amon Amarth would sound a billion times better with clean vocals in the vein of Jeff Scott Soto or Bruce Dickinson. The death growls doesn't really fit it.

And I'm not dissing Johann, he's an absolute sweetheart from what I've seen and heard. But I never liked that Cookie Monster stuff.

But then their music wouldn't convey the image that they want it to. It would be nowhere near as intense or powerful with clean singing. It's not that hard to get. Some bands just sound better with certain vocal styles. Death metal would sound awful with clean melodic vocals.

#24 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 11414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:29 PM

View Postthirteen, on 25 February 2018 - 08:22 PM, said:

View Postcustom55, on 25 February 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

AC/DC - I cannot stand Brian Johnson's voice.   Fingernails on a chalkboard.  
Is this thread about weak singers or singers we dislike?

Not liking Brian Johnson's singing is one thing, but prime Brian Johnson sure as hell wasn't 'weak'.

https://www.youtube....h?v=BGWm4ASP4zk

Yeah, I would never call Brian a weak singer. The guy had some serious pipes on him to sing like he did for so many years. I'm amazed he made it past his first AC/DC tour with that kind of voice.

#25 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32219 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 25 February 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the Chili Peppers but didn't they get much bigger once Keidas started singing more?

Yes, but bigger isn’t always better for me.

In the first YouTube’d tune I posted (“Soul to Squeeze”) by RHCP,  Kiedis does some crappy scat whatever between lines ((“Where I go I just don’t know...zinga dong ding ee dinga dong dong bla bla balls...”)) that add to his vocals which I already disliked. :lol:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 25 February 2018 - 08:32 PM.


#26 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

    The Professor

  • Members
  • 4570 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:kalamazoo, mi
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:17 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 25 February 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the Chili Peppers but didn't they get much bigger once Keidas started singing more?

Yes, but bigger isn’t always better for me.

In the first YouTube’d tune I posted (“Soul to Squeeze”) by RHCP,  Kiedis does some crappy scat whatever between lines ((“Where I go I just don’t know...zinga dong ding ee dinga dong dong bla bla balls...”)) that add to his vocals which I already disliked. :lol:
Anthony's signing has actually gotten better with age IMO. I don't listen that closely to vocals so they don't annoy me as much as others lol. This track was an outtake from their previous album and I actually enjoy his vocals (magpies on fire). Why this track didn't make the final cut of the album is beyond me.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Odw2fQOQBFc

John's and later Josh's harmonizing vocals tends to help quite a bit.

#27 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:22 PM

View Postthirteen, on 25 February 2018 - 08:22 PM, said:

View Postcustom55, on 25 February 2018 - 05:46 PM, said:

AC/DC - I cannot stand Brian Johnson's voice.   Fingernails on a chalkboard.  
Is this thread about weak singers or singers we dislike?

Not liking Brian Johnson's singing is one thing, but prime Brian Johnson sure as hell wasn't 'weak'.

https://www.youtube....h?v=BGWm4ASP4zk

I am going with Custom on this one.  I know Brian is a sweetheart of a man but being a Bon fan since I was a little kid and then listening to Brian wail on Back In Black?  Annoying. I know for a fact Bon had his creative prowess on "Back In Black."  Let's face it.  How many AC/DC albums are incredible from start to finish since "Back In Black?"  NONE!

A good song here and there like "For Those About To Rock...." or the pop rock hit "Thunderstruck?"  

What else?

"Sink The Pink?"  HAHA!  "Who Made Who?"  What a joke.

BON SCOTT WAS HEART AND SOUL OF AC/DC!  ANGUS TOO!  With the brains behind the band in Malcolm Young!  RIP!

#28 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:23 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 25 February 2018 - 09:17 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 25 February 2018 - 08:21 PM, said:

I'm not the biggest fan of the Chili Peppers but didn't they get much bigger once Keidas started singing more?

Yes, but bigger isn’t always better for me.

In the first YouTube’d tune I posted (“Soul to Squeeze”) by RHCP,  Kiedis does some crappy scat whatever between lines ((“Where I go I just don’t know...zinga dong ding ee dinga dong dong bla bla balls...”)) that add to his vocals which I already disliked. :lol:
Anthony's signing has actually gotten better with age IMO. I don't listen that closely to vocals so they don't annoy me as much as others lol. This track was an outtake from their previous album and I actually enjoy his vocals (magpies on fire). Why this track didn't make the final cut of the album is beyond me.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Odw2fQOQBFc

John's and later Josh's harmonizing vocals tends to help quite a bit.

I love Anthony's voice up to "Blood Sugar Sex Magic"  

Then the band just got slow and boring.  A funk snooze fest sadly.

"Mother's Milk" is a masterpiece.

#29 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:24 PM

James Hetfield

#30 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:25 PM

FISH is strong in Marillion!

Hogarth is WEAK!

#31 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:27 PM

Both Jimi and Stevie Ray Vaughan both didn't care for their own voice.  I never understood that.  I love their voices.  

Some people rip Eric Johnson's voice.  I love it.

#32 thirteen

thirteen

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 975 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:29 PM

I'm a Bon-fanatic.

However, I have a friend who sings for an AC/DC tribute band from Sydney called Dirty Deed - AC/DC tribute.
I asked him who is harder to sing, Bon or Brian?

His answer - Brian is much harder to sing.
If your breathing isn't spot on - your farked.

#33 thirteen

thirteen

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 975 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:34 PM

I'd say James LaBrie....but I don't consider Dream Theater great (by a long shot).

Perhaps Geddy, but then again he had some kickass moments in his prime.

#34 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

View Postthirteen, on 25 February 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

I'm a Bon-fanatic.

However, I have a friend who sings for an AC/DC tribute band from Sydney called Dirty Deed - AC/DC tribute.
I asked him who is harder to sing, Bon or Brian?

His answer - Brian is much harder to sing.
If your breathing isn't spot on - your farked.

Wow my friend!  I never thought about that but of course you are a Bon guy!  I love your avatar!

#35 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

    Queenmaster

  • Members
  • 5645 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:The Solar Federation
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:24 PM, said:

James Hetfield
I was struggling to think of any until this came along. Hetfield's voice and Hammet's repetitiveness as a lead guitarist are probably my two least favorite things about Metallica.

#36 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

View Postthirteen, on 25 February 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

I'd say James LaBrie....but I don't consider Dream Theater great (by a long shot).

Perhaps Geddy, but then again he had some kickass moments in his prime.

I actually really liked James on the first four DT records.  But is truly is WEAK now!  He is the WEAKEST LINK in the band!

#37 J2112YYZ

J2112YYZ

    The Oracle

  • Members
  • 11414 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Buffalo, NY

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

View Postthirteen, on 25 February 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

I'm a Bon-fanatic.

However, I have a friend who sings for an AC/DC tribute band from Sydney called Dirty Deed - AC/DC tribute.
I asked him who is harder to sing, Bon or Brian?

His answer - Brian is much harder to sing.
If your breathing isn't spot on - your farked.

Which makes the way Brian sang all the more impressive. He did not stand still on stage. He was always active and moving around. There had to be plenty of times where he was out of breath and still pulled it off. When I saw them in 2009 I was blown away by how good of an on stage performer he was. The guy was in his 60s and worked the stage and sang as good as any frontman I've seen live.

Edited by J2112YYZ, 25 February 2018 - 09:41 PM.


#38 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:42 PM

View PostEntre_Perpetuo, on 25 February 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:24 PM, said:

James Hetfield
I was struggling to think of any until this came along. Hetfield's voice and Hammet's repetitiveness as a lead guitarist are probably my two least favorite things about Metallica.

Amen my brother!  It boggles my mind that Metallica can still sell out shows world wide in minutes and they are simply shite to me.

I've said this a million times.  Once Cliff passed away on that damn bus Metallica was OVER!

Sure, "And Justice For All" is a polished prog metal album with no bass and it's good.  "The Black Album" is a commercial MTV record.  Good for them.  But YUCKY!!!  Then you throw in a lazy fat Lars on the drums?  The band truly is St. Anus.


CLIFF EM ALL!

#39 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:43 PM

View PostJ2112YYZ, on 25 February 2018 - 09:40 PM, said:

View Postthirteen, on 25 February 2018 - 09:29 PM, said:

I'm a Bon-fanatic.

However, I have a friend who sings for an AC/DC tribute band from Sydney called Dirty Deed - AC/DC tribute.
I asked him who is harder to sing, Bon or Brian?

His answer - Brian is much harder to sing.
If your breathing isn't spot on - your farked.

Which makes the way Brian sang all the more impressive. He did not stand still on stage. He was always active and moving around. There had to be plenty of times where he was out of breath and still pulled it off. When I saw them in 2009 I was blown away by how good of an on stage performer he was. The guy was in his 60s and worked the stage and sang as good as any frontman I've seen live.

I can't argue the energy he put out.  Excellent live.  

This makes me think of one of the all time weakest singers  in one of the best bands assembled!  BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN!!  HE SUCKS!  BUT!  Bruce has great energy on stage.

#40 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32758 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:45 PM

Oh man by brain is storming now!

Another great band with one of the worst singers and worst people on the planet is DAVE MATTHEWS!  


Carter Beauford rules!




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users