The Synth Era dosen't get half the love it deserves from Rush fans and the band itself

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#61 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

Cupcake Warrior

• Members
  • 34550 posts
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    Type O Negative
    Machine Head
    Mastodon
    Trivium
    Metallica
    Jimmy Eat World
    The Juliana Theory
    Bruce Springsteen

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:04 PM

Fans each like what they like. Whining that plenty don't agree with your tastes is less to my taste than any era you favour more than me.

Sponsored Post

#62 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

Loves that dirty water

• Members *
  • 24360 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

OTOH, Visions and Illusions is one of the best soundboards out there.

#63 Princess2112

Princess2112

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy and religions, Ayn Rand

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:32 PM

I really don't know many people personally who know Rush, which is one of the reasons I joined this forum, so I can't really comment on the different periods. Compared to most here, I am sure that I am least familiar with the band, but from what I know, I love the 80s sound of Rush. I own Grace, and I love it

#64 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6395 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 26 February 2018 - 05:39 PM

View PostPrincess2112, on 26 February 2018 - 05:32 PM, said:

I really don't know many people personally who know Rush, which is one of the reasons I joined this forum, so I can't really comment on the different periods. Compared to most here, I am sure that I am least familiar with the band, but from what I know, I love the 80s sound of Rush. I own Grace, and I love it

Hey Princess!  How many Rush albums do you have?  To be a real Rush freak on here, you have to rank them in fine detail!  I also love Grace Under Pressure.  Sometimes my head feels like the egg in the vice . . .

#65 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2606 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:31 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 26 February 2018 - 03:04 PM, said:

Fans each like what they like. Whining that plenty don't agree with your tastes is less to my taste than any era you favour more than me.

I think that one of the fundamental things about liking something is the ability to give constructive criticism about things you don't particularly enjoy about said thing.

For example, when the synth era was over, Geddy completely lost his experimental side.

#66 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32022 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:25 AM

View Postfraroc, on 26 February 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

I think that one of the fundamental things about liking something is the ability to give constructive criticism about things you don't particularly enjoy about said thing.

For example, when the synth era was over, Geddy completely lost his experimental side.

“Geddy completely lost his experimental side” is no different to me than something like “Alex lost his balls in the 80s”. I’ve got no issues with either statement but one statement isn’t more valuable or constructive than the other.

#67 vaportrailer

vaportrailer

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5161 posts
  • Interests:music, reading, travel

Posted 27 February 2018 - 05:38 AM

That’s a bald statement, and as a near-bald man I take umbrage. Umbrage I say!

He didn’t lose any of his experimentalism. Check out the layered bass parts on Vapor Trails. He also got pretty heavy into vocal harmonies post-keyboard era.
Peart played the same damn drum solo for years (for the most part), so he has to be even less experimental than poor Geddy.
And Alex has only ever played guitar! Talk about not thinking outside the box! He should’ve learned the lute, like Steve Howe; or the crumhorn, like Ritchie Blackmore.

#68 Texas King

Texas King

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1849 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:13 AM

New wave-era Geddy looked so UNCOOL! And I hate that Steinberger bass!
But music was cool.

Posted Image

#69 RushFanForever

RushFanForever

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1194 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 06:38 AM

Trent Reznor mentioned in RUSH: Beyond The Lighted Stage about the synth era being his favorite.

The rest are from the feature '40 famous Rush fans pick their favourite Rush songs.'

Dave Kerzner appreciated the 'Signals' era and in particular 'Losing It' according to here.

Robert Reed of Magenta appreciated the 'Power Windows' era and in particular 'Marathon' according to here.

More here also below.

DAVE BROCK
HAWKWIND

"I'd go for Between The Wheels from Grace Under Pressure. It has a powerful synth-bass presence, and some fantastic lead guitar playing from Alex Lifeson. This is a good, heavy piece, with interesting lyrics. Overall, a great prog rock number, from one of their best albums. Hawkwind toured with Rush in the States during the 70s - jolly fun was had by all of us."

STUART NICHOLSON
GALAHAD

"I'm a big Rush fan, and my favourite track is probably Marathon from Power Windows which, for me, was their last truly great album. We actually used to play that song in local pubs in the early days of Galahad, which raised an eyebrow or two as it was such a big sound, especially for the time."

GRUTLE KJELLSON
ENSLAVED

"I've picked a Rush fave for this that has little to do with the classics. Today, my Rush song is one of the hits of my youth; one of the legendary songs on the Hear 'n Aid [famine relief] album. You know, when heavy guys used to care: Distant Early Warning. Not necessarily the best Rush song, but the best of the 80s."

Edited by RushFanForever, 27 February 2018 - 07:14 AM.

#70 Todem

Todem

Brosaucerous

• Members
  • 2338 posts
  • Interests:Playing guitar, writing,recording and performing music, coaching and playing baseball, golf, tennis, stocks, playing video games, spending as much time as I can with my wife and son.

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:02 PM

The Synth Era really began with Signals to my ears. That was the album that started the polarizing effect on Pioneer Rush fans. I was a Moving Pictures child. That was my first foray into Rush. Then I went backwards from there and Signals was my first proper release where I was waiting with baited breath and also went to see them live for the first time as a wide eyed 13 year old middle school kid.

I was blown away by Signals. I ate it up. I thought it had such an amazingly warm sound. Yeah Alex was under mixed....but his guitar work was fantastic. Grace Under Pressure sealed it and you were either with them and evolving with them or you let them go. Power Windows and Hold Your Fire were the crescendos of the synth period where they did all they could with midi and sequencers etc. Just amazing stuff.

78-87 was the very best period for Rush IMO. Starting with Hemispheres which was the pinnacle of their prog period and ending with Hold Your Fire which was the grand finale of the synth period.

Counterparts was the first Rush album that captured the pre Signals sound again in both approach, song writing and production. I love CP.

Edited by Todem, 27 February 2018 - 03:03 PM.

#71 Entre_Perpetuo

Entre_Perpetuo

Queenmaster

• Members
  • 5236 posts
  • Interests:Music, architecture, and childhood hobbies.

Posted 27 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

The synth era gets plenty of love from fans. Whatever they say in a few books and documentaries isn't nearly as important. Many fans would take Signals through HYF over CoS through Hems in a heartbeat, no questions asked. If there's an argument to be made for any era not getting enough love from fans, that would have to be the 90s (+ Presto). Now, I don't like RTB, and CP is vastly overrated to my ears, and as much as I do enjoy Presto and T4E, they never really get beyond average quality for a Rush album to me. I'm no humongous proponent of that era is what I mean to say, but even I can see those who stand by those albums as loyally as those who stand behind the synth era or the prog era are pretty few and far between. But the thing is the fans are still out there. I've seen folks on this board rank RTB as their favorite Rush release, which blows my mind, but is a totally valid opinion.

Rush's fanbase is one of the more forgiving and accepting ever to exist. IMO, pretty much every album has its fair share of fans and detractors (well, not many detractors for MP and PeW, but that's about it). That's a great accomplishment in my book.

#72 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9699 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 07:12 PM

View PostRushFanForever, on 27 February 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

Trent Reznor mentioned in RUSH: Beyond The Lighted Stage about the synth era being his favorite.

The rest are from the feature '40 famous Rush fans pick their favourite Rush songs.'

Dave Kerzner appreciated the 'Signals' era and in particular 'Losing It' according to here.

Robert Reed of Magenta appreciated the 'Power Windows' era and in particular 'Marathon' according to here.

More here also below.

DAVE BROCK
HAWKWIND

"I'd go for Between The Wheels from Grace Under Pressure. It has a powerful synth-bass presence, and some fantastic lead guitar playing from Alex Lifeson. This is a good, heavy piece, with interesting lyrics. Overall, a great prog rock number, from one of their best albums. Hawkwind toured with Rush in the States during the 70s - jolly fun was had by all of us."

STUART NICHOLSON
GALAHAD

"I'm a big Rush fan, and my favourite track is probably Marathon from Power Windows which, for me, was their last truly great album. We actually used to play that song in local pubs in the early days of Galahad, which raised an eyebrow or two as it was such a big sound, especially for the time."

GRUTLE KJELLSON
ENSLAVED

"I've picked a Rush fave for this that has little to do with the classics. Today, my Rush song is one of the hits of my youth; one of the legendary songs on the Hear 'n Aid [famine relief] album. You know, when heavy guys used to care: Distant Early Warning. Not necessarily the best Rush song, but the best of the 80s."

Interesting.

You add a lot to this forum by sharing your knowledge. Thanks dude!

#73 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4241 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

View Postgoose, on 25 February 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 25 February 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

View PostDay of Light, on 25 February 2018 - 02:16 PM, said:

Love synth era Rush. While earlier Rush sound is starting to sound more interesting to me than it once was, I do think it's a shame that the band doesn't really talk about it. I think there's a lot of stuff that has gotten any mention. I find enjoyment in the fact that they made a lot of money in the 80s.

The documentary was funny. They glossed over almost all of the juicy trivia mentioned about almost disbanding, family drama, etc and went straight to "We started using guitars again on Presto. Now Roll The Bones was..."

One reason it got glossed over in the doc was that Sam Dunn was not a fan of that period so it got the short straw.
The narrative was very much "they lost me with the keyboards...", with most pro musician fans echoing that sentiment.  Personally, I liked the synth era, although some songs/albums have aged better for me than others.

Alex may not have been dominant in the mix in those years, but he flat out shreds. It just isn't your typical guitar hero stuff which I guess disappoints some people.

#74 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4241 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:23 PM

Agree with the first sentence.

Disagree with the second one. Geddy got bored with them (and felt trapped by them live) and Alex helps Geddy decide quicker. Geddy was wanted to focus more on improving his vocals and his ability to write songs. His priorities shifted.

#75 snowdogged

snowdogged

Ultimate Time-Killing Sig

• Members *
  • 5102 posts
  • Interests:Yo momma

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:55 PM

I agreed with something that I read in this thread, can't remember what it was, but I definitely agreed with it.

#76 grasbo

grasbo

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 902 posts
  • Interests:Music,playing guitar,collecting models,recording,football,cricket,op shopping,chilli,garlic,anchovies,wasabi,mustard,oysters,mussells,beer,war gaming,model railroading,positive people,goldfish

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:31 AM

I started with Hemispheres,Moving Pictures and Signals,but when Grace was released that sold me on the band.I found it interesting that the band changed so much with these four albums but still retain their identity.Believe it or not i was not completely sold on MP at first and i didn't particularly like Alex's tone and i am heavy guitar guy.So through my twenties i grew up with the synth era and loved it while bludgeoning my head with Maiden,Metallica,Megadeth,Celtic Frost,Candlemass,Cathedral,Candlemass and Burl Ives and Hank Williams.But i love everything Rush,well almost.

#77 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32410 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:00 AM

View PostTexas King, on 27 February 2018 - 06:13 AM, said:

New wave-era Geddy looked so UNCOOL! And I hate that Steinberger bass!
But music was cool.

Posted Image

I saw this tour with my own 16 year old eyes!
I was smashed into the barrier at the Cow Palace in 1984.
We bum "RUSHED" to the front of the stage knocking chairs and front row seaters over.
It was fuckking nuts.
I went from nose bleed seats to front row.
I was right underneath Geddy who looked just like that in your picture.

Geddy looked down at us hooligans.  He gazed right into my eyes in fear and concern.  Like Neil did when I met him at his bus backstage at the Vapor Trails Tour!  

Anyway, I thought Geddy was going to stop the show and say stuff to calm the crowd.  It was fuckking chaos and I was a little young nerd in Heaven who to quote DOKKEN  "Just Got Lucky!"

I stood my "Territories" and was able to watch Neil's drum solo in the front row smashed into the concrete slab.  
It blew my young drumming mind.
My mentor.  Playing on that fuckking red Tama kit with the red Simmons pads.  The YYZ to Red Lenses drum solo right in front of me.

From that second on I was a Rush Solider.

A Lifer.
An addict.

RUSH FOREVER.

FUCKK THE HATERS!

I can tell you how much I hate Vapor Trailers.  Who cares.

There is no band in the world that will ever touch RUSH.

I am a nothing.
A no name in this world.
A cog in the wheel of man.  Hell I'm  "Between The Wheels."  

I love to play my drums to Neil.

It's for me.
For my happiness.

I hope you people out there in social media world find your passion.
You on your iPhone walking around in public.
More worried about texting a friend then looking real people who walk by in in the eye.

1001001 SOS

I am stupid too.
I am too open on this forum.  

I am on no other social media outlets.

I feel comfortable here.
That's my risk.

"Be cool or be cast out!"

Fuckk it!

Rush was IT.

Their music will live on forever.

"we are only immortal for a limited time."

So find Rush.
Find Love.
Find Happiness.
Find Balance.

Lots of shite in the world.

Who do you trust in 2018?

Love,

Cygnus

#78 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32410 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:00 AM

Geddy is fukking COOL in that pic!

#79 pxr5

pxr5

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 07:37 AM

Synth era stuff I can tolerate when I'm doing something else and it's in the background. Never really liked it, never will. In fact hearing HYF when released I only got half way through the Force Ten and binned it - I didn't really listen to any Rush after Signals until a lot later. Still played all the early stuff though.

#80 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

Holy Tai Shan!!!

• Members *
  • 27677 posts
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

View Postpxr5, on 28 February 2018 - 07:37 AM, said:

Synth era stuff I can tolerate when I'm doing something else and it's in the background. Never really liked it, never will. In fact hearing HYF when released I only got half way through the Force Ten and binned it - I didn't really listen to any Rush after Signals until a lot later. Still played all the early stuff though.
Where is the Dislike button?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users