The Synth Era dosen't get half the love it deserves from Rush fans and the band itself

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4545 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:39 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:37 PM, said:

View PostHemiBeers, on 25 February 2018 - 09:36 PM, said:

That was the period when Geddy required Al to check his balls at the door. The results were similar to mall background musak.

Sit quietly and politely kids, I promise they'll start to rock very soon.

Would you consider "Presto" a Rush rock record with more Alex or still a synth heavy record?

I think it's more balanced.  I love "Presto."
no it's crap. sounds like listening to an am radio.

it's well documented that around the late 80s they were considering hanging it up. not surprising since they became closer to 'adult contemporary' than actual rock.

it wasn't until Counterparts that Al found his ballsack again and they actually sounded like a rock band.

Edited by HemiBeers, 25 February 2018 - 09:42 PM.

Sponsored Post

#42 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32706 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:49 PM

View PostHemiBeers, on 25 February 2018 - 09:39 PM, said:

That was the period when Geddy required Al to check his balls at the door. The results were similar to mall background musak.

Would you consider "Presto" a Rush rock record with more Alex or still a synth heavy record?

it's well documented that around the late 80s they were considering hanging it up. not surprising since they became closer to 'adult contemporary' than actual rock.

it wasn't until Counterparts that Al found his ballsack again and they actually sounded like a rock band.

I see your point.  "Counterparts" kicks ass.  It's my last masterpiece Rush record in their canon.

The production of "Presto" is very polished and clean but I absolutely love Alex's guitar on the record.  You can't deny the solo on "Chain Lightning."  Killer shit.  Remember the rumor that Alex recorded that solo and then they mastered it backwards on the album.  True or False?

#43 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 60729 posts
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:31 PM, said:

Don't forget about the excellence of Jim Burgess and Anthony Richards on synth arrangements on "Middletown Dreams" and "Emotion Detector."  Two songs I will cherish until I die.
:yes:

Two of my top tracks from PoW.  Mystic Rhythms the other.

#44 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 60729 posts
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:45 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

I see your point.  "Counterparts" kicks ass.  It's my last masterpiece Rush record in their canon.

The production of "Presto" is very polished and clean but I absolutely love Alex's guitar on the record.  
Me too.  Presto is an album that's better played loud.  The production, to my ears, is very much like Synchronicity, which I love.  

#45 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32706 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:55 PM

View Postgoose, on 25 February 2018 - 11:43 PM, said:

Don't forget about the excellence of Jim Burgess and Anthony Richards on synth arrangements on "Middletown Dreams" and "Emotion Detector."  Two songs I will cherish until I die.
:yes:

Two of my top tracks from PoW.  Mystic Rhythms the other.

I may be insane with my opinion of VT but so what!  "POWER WINDOWS" IS A MASTERPIECE!!
One of the greatest albums ever made!

"Marathon" is so complex and fun to play to on the drums!  Still a challenge!!  I love playing "Mystic Rhythms" on my organic kit too!  FUN!

I am not a good artist goose but back in high school I excelled in art.  I was Art Student Of The Year in 1986.  I did a watercolor of GUP and received a Honorable Mention Award.
I did an oil painting of "Power Windows" next.  My instructor helped me with the lightning in the window but I did everything else.  Both are framed.
She loved my fire and passion for RUSH and dedicating my entire class time to doing certain album covers.  I did a pencil sketch of Van Halen's 1984.  I did a color pencil of Motley Crue's "Theater Of Pain."  I did the inside sleeve in pencil of ZZ Top's "Afterburner" album.

I still have all of them!  Mostly framed.

Do you see?

I've been obsessed with music since I was a kid.

I'm still that same guy in a fuckking 50 year young body.

Make sense?

#46 HemiBeers

HemiBeers

The Professor

• Members
  • 4545 posts
  • Interests:playfully annoying on the verge of inappropriate.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 25 February 2018 - 09:49 PM, said:

The production of "Presto" is very polished and clean but I absolutely love Alex's guitar on the record.  You can't deny the solo on "Chain Lightning."  Killer shit.  Remember the rumor that Alex recorded that solo and then they mastered it backwards on the album.  True or False?
Been a while, so I gave Chain Lightening another listen. meh. Just doesn't do anything for me. Even the solo is a bunch of whammy bar dive bombs and noodling nonsense. So each to his own, we'll just disagree on this one.

I will give Power Windows it's due, there are many good tracks once you get over the synth overkill. But Hold Your Fire and Presto...when those came out and I gave them a few listens I just tossed them on the pile. There wasn't anything on those albums that I felt excited to learn on guitar because Al was so washed out.

I think this gets to why so many don't look fondly on the synth era. Geddy is a bass god. But as a keyboard player, he just fills space...nothing a student with 2-3 years experience couldn't do. The synth era took Geddy away from what he does best...the bass. People will go see Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman to experience a keyboard god. No one goes to a Rush concert to see Geddy plunk away at some mundane chords on the keyboard.

Edited by HemiBeers, 26 February 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#47 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7334 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:51 AM

70s Rush is my main shit, but I love Signals through Power Windows too. PoW is basically flawless to me. I like a lot of Hold Your Fire, but they took the synth thing as far as they could and overdid it a bit on that album. Even songs I really enjoy like Force Ten...that shit is like being assaulted by keyboards, with synths and sequencers and all kinds of production tricks flying at you off the jump. That said, I'd still take HYF over anything after it.

#48 ozzy85

ozzy85

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3526 posts
  • Interests:Metal. Beer. Powerbelching. \m/

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:17 AM

View Posttangy, on 25 February 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

View Postgoose, on 25 February 2018 - 03:30 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 25 February 2018 - 02:42 PM, said:

View PostDay of Light, on 25 February 2018 - 02:16 PM, said:

Love synth era Rush. While earlier Rush sound is starting to sound more interesting to me than it once was, I do think it's a shame that the band doesn't really talk about it. I think there's a lot of stuff that has gotten any mention. I find enjoyment in the fact that they made a lot of money in the 80s.

The documentary was funny. They glossed over almost all of the juicy trivia mentioned about almost disbanding, family drama, etc and went straight to "We started using guitars again on Presto. Now Roll The Bones was..."

One reason it got glossed over in the doc was that Sam Dunn was not a fan of that period so it got the short straw.
The narrative was very much "they lost me with the keyboards...", with most pro musician fans echoing that sentiment.  Personally, I liked the synth era, although some songs/albums have aged better for me than others.

And i am along those lines. Too much ged and keys. Not enough alex.

Perhaps it was no terry brown.

I tolerated the synth years but they left a musical void that was filled by other bands. The first of which was megadeth.
This pretty well nails it for me. I was getting into heavier metal at the time also (totally into the Big Four then...) . Only a few years ago I "rediscovered" synth-Rush. Always loved Signals. Been listening to HYF at the gym... pretty good and inspiring during a workout. I still have trouble with Power Windows. I think I'll take it to work with me and see if I can dig into it more.

#49 Ultimate Rush Tribute

Ultimate Rush Tribute

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Redskins, Golf, Boating, Family, Keg Parties and Crypto-currency.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 09:54 AM

View Postytserush, on 25 February 2018 - 02:24 PM, said:

View Postfraroc, on 25 February 2018 - 11:24 AM, said:

Every single Rush documentary, or brief written history of the band glosses over the best period of the band like "meh, it happened. Subdivisions was the big radio hit in the early to mid 80s after Tom Sawyer. Geddy's hair looked like a Davy Crockett hat, Whatever. Now let's talk about how great Counterparts is and how it's superior to every record that came out from 82 to 92."

Hell, even most Rush tribute bands do a very 90s and 70s heavy show and only do like 2-3 synth era songs at the max.

You know what? f**k that. It's time the synth era got the love it deserves from Rush fans. Geddy's bass playing and singing were at it's peak around that period, Geddy was multitasking between two different instruments effortlessly, Alex's chord structure became even more unorthodox and interesting. The music was very similar to the new wave groups of that era, but elevated to a much higher level. It was intricate, palatable, the songs weren't too long or drawn out, it was the perfect era for Rush.

I would rather hear all of Grace Under Pressure or Power Windows in it's entirety than Hemispheres.

Nearly all tribute bands won't touch anything before Signals and many of those stop at Moving Pictures. so as a rule I won't bother with them because that's not exactly my idea of a good time..
I don't understand your statement at all.  Won't touch anything before Signal? and stop at moving Pictures?  Moving Pictures was before Signals so you already cancelled that out with your first statement.  So all tribute bands play Signals and only Signals.  LOL  I am in a Rush Tribute band and we play MOSTLY songs before Signals.  We are looking to add a few of the post Signals songs but the audiences we play to seem to like 2112 through Signals.  We can play Dreamline, Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A but that is about as far as I can go.  I love our setlist!

Set 1
Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Limelight
Entrée Nous*
Camera Eye*
New World Man
XYZ
Jacob’s Ladder

Set2
R30
Tom Sawyer
Closer to the Heart*
Broon’s Bain*
The Trees*
Xanadu**
Analog Kid
Freewill
Red Barchetta
Overature/Temples

(Encore)
La Villa Strangiato*

#50 Ultimate Rush Tribute

Ultimate Rush Tribute

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Redskins, Golf, Boating, Family, Keg Parties and Crypto-currency.

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:02 AM

View Posttangy, on 25 February 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

Every single Rush documentary, or brief written history of the band glosses over the best period of the band like "meh, it happened. Subdivisions was the big radio hit in the early to mid 80s after Tom Sawyer. Geddy's hair looked like a Davy Crockett hat, Whatever. Now let's talk about how great Counterparts is and how it's superior to every record that came out from 82 to 92."

Hell, even most Rush tribute bands do a very 90s and 70s heavy show and only do like 2-3 synth era songs at the max.

You know what? f**k that. It's time the synth era got the love it deserves from Rush fans. Geddy's bass playing and singing were at it's peak around that period, Geddy was multitasking between two different instruments effortlessly, Alex's chord structure became even more unorthodox and interesting. The music was very similar to the new wave groups of that era, but elevated to a much higher level. It was intricate, palatable, the songs weren't too long or drawn out, it was the perfect era for Rush.

I would rather hear all of Grace Under Pressure or Power Windows in it's entirety than Hemispheres.

Nearly all tribute bands won't touch anything before Signals and many of those stop at Moving Pictures. so as a rule I won't bother with them because that's not exactly my idea of a good time..

I think you mean after signals?

You raise an interesting point about tribute bands. Their reluctance to play the snyth years says something.

Not sure what it is though....
Means they have taste...

#51 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9798 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 10:45 AM

I like those two tunes but wtf were they thinking.

Andy Richards from what i read yesterday was known for working with wham! And frankie goes to hollywood.

Rush is the odd band in his discography.

Edited by tangy, 26 February 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#52 Texas King

Texas King

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1867 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

I'm a fan of Signals and P/G and like Power Windows quite a bit. Apart from Mission, Time Stand Still and Force 10 I don't care for HYF. They made some really good tunes during that era(esp. Subdivisions, Analog Kid, Between the Wheels, Distant Early Warning and Marathon) .
But I would put their prog/hard rock stuff from CoS to Moving Pictures ahead of all synth-era albums.

#53 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9798 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:20 AM

View PostUltimate Rush Tribute, on 26 February 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

You raise an interesting point about tribute bands. Their reluctance to play the snyth years says something.

Means they have taste...

Maybe

More likely its a matter of financial feasibility. If the demand was there it would be going down for sure.

#54 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9798 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

I got a few tribute discs with best being working man.

Even the tribute discs diss the synth era!

#55 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4440 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

--

My roguelike!
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/547980/Equin_The_Lantern/

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

My first RUSH album was ASOH and honestly to me for a VERY long time that's what I thought of when I heard "RUSH". I mean holy crap there's so much going on in songs like Turn the Page and Marathon and it all just blew me away that only 3 guys were doing it all. Synth era is very highly-rated with this guy!

#56 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4440 posts

--

My roguelike!

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

That's it's wicked hard and there's only one Geddy, that's what it says!

#57 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4440 posts

--

My roguelike!

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:42 AM

Honestly though I think the problem some might have with a lot of the synth stuff listening to it now is how dated some of the sounds themselves are. Take a great song like "Red Tide" and remove the cheesy DAH DAH DAH DAH synths out of the beginning and end (after that awesome piano riff) and the song improves tremendously. Even on an excellent song like Territories some of the samples just don't hold up too well anymore.

#58 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6579 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

The "synth era" Rush had great songs with some weak instrumentation choices.  The later stuff had some weaker songs with better instrumentation choices.  If only it were the other way around, I could throw some of those later Rush albums into storage along with my copies of Hot Space, Invisible Touch and Kilroy Was Here.

#59 fraroc

fraroc

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2612 posts
  • Interests:Rock music, roller coasters, aviation, writing novels,

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:15 PM

View PostUltimate Rush Tribute, on 26 February 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

I don't understand your statement at all.  Won't touch anything before Signal? and stop at moving Pictures?  Moving Pictures was before Signals so you already cancelled that out with your first statement.  So all tribute bands play Signals and only Signals.  LOL  I am in a Rush Tribute band and we play MOSTLY songs before Signals.  We are looking to add a few of the post Signals songs but the audiences we play to seem to like 2112 through Signals.  We can play Dreamline, Distant Early Warning and Red Sector A but that is about as far as I can go.  I love our setlist!

Set 1
Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Limelight
Entrée Nous*
Camera Eye*
New World Man
XYZ
Jacob’s Ladder

Set2
R30
Tom Sawyer
Closer to the Heart*
Broon’s Bain*
The Trees*
Xanadu**
Analog Kid
Freewill
Red Barchetta
Overature/Temples

(Encore)
La Villa Strangiato*

Yeah well guess what....I challenge you.

Emotion Detector, Mystic Rhythms, Digital Man, All parts of Fear, Open Secrets, Mission.

Then you'll live up to your name :)

Edited by fraroc, 26 February 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#60 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 6579 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:55 PM

View Postfraroc, on 26 February 2018 - 02:15 PM, said:

View PostUltimate Rush Tribute, on 26 February 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

Set 1
Spirit of Radio
Subdivisions
Limelight
Entrée Nous*
Camera Eye*
New World Man
XYZ
Jacob’s Ladder

Set2
R30
Tom Sawyer
Closer to the Heart*
Broon’s Bain*
The Trees*
Xanadu**
Analog Kid
Freewill
Red Barchetta
Overature/Temples

(Encore)
La Villa Strangiato*

Yeah well guess what....I challenge you.

Emotion Detector, Mystic Rhythms, Digital Man, All parts of Fear, Open Secrets, Mission.

Then you'll live up to your name :)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users