The Synth Era dosen't get half the love it deserves from Rush fans and the band itself

fraroc

I'm sure I've mentioned it before on this forum but I became a Rush fan in the early 90s. So I was already familiar with how their sound changed during the synth era because of the songs the radio played. So, there was no drop in fandom for me when I first heard those albums. But I can see why long time fans who liked the guitar driven stuff were turned off by it. Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Ged's synths were beautiful, man

just sounded like Rush keyboards

Alex floated all over the place between those things

Ged in his own words wasnt the greatest keyboardist but, was a genius adapting what he could do to Rush.. Ged's keyboards were beautiful

All at once the clouds are parted...

Edited by lifeson90
  • Like 1

I'm sure I've mentioned it before on this forum but I became a Rush fan in the early 90s. So I was already familiar with how their sound changed during the synth era because of the songs the radio played. So, there was no drop in fandom for me when I first heard those albums. But I can see why long time fans who liked the guitar driven stuff were turned off by it.

Because the synth progression was smooth and gradual they kept most of their fan base. Gaining new fans to offset the loss of the long haired, denim jacket wearing, knuckle draggers they lost. Those new fans would go back through the catalog learning the songs of the great Broon Era.

• Like 3

I love the synth era because I was in my 20s/30s and I was fully hooked after Zep bit the dust.HYF was a bit of a dip but I still loved it.At the same time I liked the Trevor Rabin era Yes but if I wanted some metal I just wacked on some Maiden ,Metallica,Slayer,Candlemass,etc.I don’t mind it when bands change but still keep their identity.After all it was still the same three guys and they must have all been on the same page despite Alex grumbling about his guitar not getting enough real estate
  • Like 1

In the 70's, they sounded like a 70's band.

In the 80's, they sounded like an 80's band.

In the 90's, they sounded like a 90's band.

In the 00's, they sounded like a 00's. band.

But no matter the time period, they always sounded like Rush.

• Like 7

I'm sure I've mentioned it before on this forum but I became a Rush fan in the early 90s. So I was already familiar with how their sound changed during the synth era because of the songs the radio played. So, there was no drop in fandom for me when I first heard those albums. But I can see why long time fans who liked the guitar driven stuff were turned off by it.

Because the synth progression was smooth and gradual they kept most of their fan base. Gaining new fans to offset the loss of the long haired, denim jacket wearing, knuckle draggers they lost. Those new fans would go back through the catalog learning the songs of the great Broon Era.

I was one of those long haired denim (or leather) wearing knuckle-draggers...

I had a hard time with the '80's. A lot of '70's bands turned to the use of synths and zipper pants trying to keep up with the times. I was a teenager to twenties guy that didn't want either to be with the times. Except, except... it became quite the golden age for heavy metal. That's where I went. Rush wanted to use more synth? OK... pop bands do that. I kinda left for a little while. I had to come back to it some time later. I like it now. Not as much as other eras, but it's still pretty good.

Rush has never been afraid of technology, unlike some other bands that purposely shunned it.

Long Haired,denim jacket wearing knuckle draggers? What an idiot.

Love synth era Rush. While earlier Rush sound is starting to sound more interesting to me than it once was, I do think it's a shame that the band doesn't really talk about it. I think there's a lot of stuff that has gotten any mention. I find enjoyment in the fact that they made a lot of money in the 80s.

The documentary was funny. They glossed over almost all of the juicy trivia mentioned about almost disbanding, family drama, etc and went straight to "We started using guitars again on Presto. Now Roll The Bones was..."

Funny, I had a strange dream last night. I was eating a turkey leg with my dad at some picnic.

Next thing I know I sitting at a table with my ex wife and Geddy Lee, They were eating fried chicken.

I said to Geddy, "Hey Geddy, I can play the entire album of "Presto" all the way through." He looked at me, got up and left.

So "Presto" is NOT a synth record? Hmmmmmmmmm

So the synth era is from 1982-1988?

"Grace Under Pressure" is my second favorite Rush album on the earth only behind "Hemispheres" of course.

Give me the pre-synth years any day.

1974-1981!!!!

• Like 2

No kidding. Not everyone had long hair.
  • Like 1

Oh boy Analog Kid, you are so wrong yet sadly so right.

So the boys decided to go along with the masses in the New Wave Man Game and cut their hair.

Alas, you are all such amazing real Rush fans. Neil did cut his hear but kept a nice long pony tail intact.

So whatever. BULLSHIT!

Yeah, so Hair Metal was on it's way out. Hell here is a story for all of you so called Real Rush Fanatic Posers.

I'm the real deal and I have a story to back my faith in all that is RUSH and Hair Metal.

I've told this story a few times on here but the years just keep going by.

So Back in the 80's yours truly was a Rushhead and then a Y&T Freak at the same time. Hey Jonny! TB! I hope you read this shit, I'm going to need your back up, or not! All good.

I can handle myself.

So, back in 1984, Y&T a band with Dave Meniketti, Joey Alves, Phil Kennemore and Leonard Haze was asked to do a three week East Coast Tour with RUSH.

I was actually very surprised at this move because Y&T was really still big on the West Coast.

Fukk, I saw the GUP Tour in 1984. I think it was Gary Moore or the Steve Morse Band out here. Fuzzy man.

Anyway, I would have shit 2112 Twinkies if Rush and Y&T played out here at the Cow Palace.

However, Rush and Y&T played together for three weeks.

So......

On the opening night of the two bill tour Dave Meniketti went off to all the Rush fans in the audience. He was ripping bands like The Cars, the Talking Heads, the Thompson Twins, on and on and on.

Rush fans were booing Dave and Y&T.

Obviously it was a bad mix.

I am still friends with Y&T and I was told that after the first show with RUSH, Geddy approached Dave Meniketti and said something like...

"Hey Dave, please cool it man. Stop making fun of the current bands out there, it's quite insulting."

Dave never made another peep about 80's music.

I used to get into forum fights with Dave. I love Meniketti so much but man he used to tell me how overrated Neil was on the main circuit.

I know that Leonard Haze used to laugh at Neil's over the top drum solos on the GUP Tour.

Even he thought Neil was overrated.

It fukked with my brain for a few days but alas, I love Neil and Leonard Haze.

Both are amazing drummers.

Hell, I can't even grow long hair. I look like the fukking Brady Bunch Boyz. LOL!

But I had a stupid tail back in the late 80's.

Neil has always been my mentor.

Hell I look like him in the "Time Stand Still" video. Creepy!!

Anyway, I don't need to defend Hair Metal.

It was totally ruined by the record companies and then grunge came into save the day.

Don't Tread on Me Haters!

I love it all!

You brainwashed one way street tits can rip hair metal all you want but it was all about fuckingg. drinking, partying and having fun! Along with amazing melodic riffs and incredible guitar solos!!

You fools can have your hip hop, your grunge, your fukking Maroon 5! Give me IRON MAIDEN! 666!!!

RATT N ROLL!

POISON!

TWISTED FUCKKIN SISTER!

WHITE LION! VITO BRATA!

AUTOGRAPH

Whatever!

You get my drift!

Enjoy your ride of life!

Give me BLACK N BLUE and VANDENBERG!

DOKKEN!

Give liberty or give me death!!!

CINDERELLA!

The first three BON JOVI records!

Everyone from the Seventies went Hair Metal to service!

WHITESNAKE

MOTLEY CRUE

KISS!

VAN HAGAR CAN "KISS" MY ASS!!!

SCORPiONS! "SAVAGE AMUSEMENT!" JESUS!

Speaking of Jesus, JUDAS PRIEST!

TURBO

RAM IT DOWN!

RAM IT DOWN YOUR THROATS!

A TOTAL JOKE!!!!

Y&T! DOWN FOR THE COUNT! VOMIT!

UFO WITH ATOMIC TOMMY! SHITE!

SLAUGHTER! YOU LOVE THEM!

Even SAGA sold out! Worlds Apart??

DANGER DANGER!

DANGEROUS TOYS!

"Video Killed The Radio Star?"

"Synth Killed The Rock And Roll Star!"

Even "Sacred Heart" by DIO! UGH!

I could write about book! Instead I waste 73's bandwidth! Nice!

I love me some GREAT WHIITE!

Love,

"Wasted Rock Ranger"

Rip me all you want.

I will challenge any of you humans on here to a ROCK OFF!!

Tenacious D taught me well! I'm gonna burn in Hell and I'm gonna sell my soul to the Devil like Robert Johnson!

"KICK OUT THE JAMS MUTHERFUKKERS!"

Don't be offended by my use of the word FUKK on here.

It's edited.

Go blame the MC5!

MC666

I rocked the denim jacket through the 80’s, I had 27 inches of hair cut off in 1995 at basic training. I’m just saying I saw less and less of the metal heads at Rush shows after GUP. Their loss. I’m sure the White Lion show on the same night was worth skipping another Rush concert.

• Like 1

I rocked the denim jacket through the 80’s, I had 27 inches of hair cut off in 1995 at basic training. I’m just saying I saw less and less of the metal heads at Rush shows after GUP. Their loss. I’m sure the White Lion show on the same night was worth skipping another Rush concert.

:LOL:

Why do you make children cry?

It was, huh? Most fans I knew found Signals (which I personally love) jarring, and by PoW had lost interest in the band. Following up PoW with HYF was too much for me.

The synth years seem less consistently amazing to me. I adore Signals and PoW, but find GuP and HYF to be pretty middle of the pack Rush records. Another problem is they stopped doing a record every year, so there's less material to get into or evaluate. Being that there are only four records, and two of them I don't find to be their best, the synth era inevitably pales in comparison to the prog era. As in the prog years a new album came out nearly every year, and pretty much every record I find to be among their best work. CoS, 2112, AFTK, Hems (ever since I got the 40th anniversary edition for Christmas it's really grown on me), PeW, and MP all one after another and all A grade releases. (I guess PeW and MP are kind of their own thing though).

For me the run from CoS to Signals is unblemished, but GuP suffers from lifeless production and a bit of a stagnant mood (though that is the vibe they were going for) that's just foreign to the work Rush had been putting out for the past decade. It also has a bit of a dud in Red Lenses, which is fun and catchy, but not particularly great or beautiful. Then I feel that they fixed those problems and made another killer record with PoW by perfectly integrating the synths and guitars into a kind of power-synth-rock sound, with no real dud songs in sight. But HYF didn't fully carry through on the great songwriting with the presence of Tai Shan (which I think isn't terrible, but isn't great) and High Water (which doesn't do much for me at all). From then on Rush records started having more filler or bad experiments and the production quality got less consistent as well.

So really, I like the synth years, and on the whole I prefer those four records to most of what came after them (and to the debut and FBN), but coming hot off the heels of one of the greatest album runs in rock and roll is always going to put it in a bad light.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 2