Movie Oldboy - which version?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Oldboy - which version? (2 member(s) have cast votes)

Oldboy - which version?

1. original - South Korean (2003) (2 votes [100.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. remake - American (2013) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Rate the original Oldboy

1. ★★☆☆☆ (0 votes [0.00%])

2. ★★★☆☆ (0 votes [0.00%])

3. ★★★★☆ (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

4. ★★★★★ (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

Rate the remake Oldboy

1. ★★☆☆☆ (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

2. ★★★☆☆ (1 votes [50.00%] - View)

3. ★★★★☆ (0 votes [0.00%])

4. ★★★★★ (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Texas King

Texas King

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1849 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:44 AM

Posted Image

Original for me - 5 stars
Remake - 3 stars

You?

Sponsored Post

#2 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32035 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:57 AM

Original - didn’t see it

Remake - 1 star

#3 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12142 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

I was disappointed when I first saw the original Oldboy - it was probably a case of expectations being sky high .. Overall, it was least favorite of Park Chan wok's "Vengeance Trilogy"  ... I was blown away by Lady Vengeance though - much much better film than Oldboy IMHO

I'd give the 2003 Oldboy 2.5 outta five  ... It was petty standard fare

I guess I blocked out the fact that there was a remake .. Remakes and the all out theft of Asian cinema sort of turn my stomach, and the trailer doesn't do much to inspire me tp see it ..

On a related note, I just got the blu ray of "Bedevilled" in the mail and I will watch that tonight

Edited by Lucas, 23 February 2018 - 01:26 PM.

#4 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32035 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:00 AM

View PostLucas, on 23 February 2018 - 01:25 PM, said:

I was disappointed when I first saw the original Oldboy - it was probably a case of expectations being sky high .. Overall, it was least favorite of Park Chan wok's "Vengeance Trilogy"  ... I was blown away by Lady Vengeance though - much much better film than Oldboy IMHO

I guess I blocked out the fact that there was a remake .. Remakes and the all out theft of Asian cinema sort of turn my stomach, and the trailer doesn't do much to inspire me tp see it ..

On a related note, I just got the blu ray of "Bedevilled" in the mail and I will watch that tonight

Your stomach shouldn’t feel too bad as a lot of Hollywood and other western stuff are stolen out here too. Wouldn’t even know where to begin with all the stuff that’s stolen.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 24 February 2018 - 01:00 AM.

#5 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7299 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:22 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 24 February 2018 - 01:00 AM, said:

Your stomach shouldn’t feel too bad as a lot of Hollywood and other western stuff are stolen out here too. Wouldn’t even know where to begin with all the stuff that’s stolen.

We rip off a lot of anime now, but I think it's payback for how much 80s anime ripped off from a single movie...Streets of Fire. :lol:

#6 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 87860 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:18 PM

NONE!

#7 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 12142 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 03:59 PM

I am fully aware of what come out of every part of the world, film wise .... I never said that any one country has a monopoly or a perfect record making films ..

I would wager that I have seen more Japanese films of the past decade than you have, and you probably seen more Hollywood films than I ...

There is no balance in Hollywood ... For every rehashed, remake, reimagined, sequeled, prequeled waste of time Hollywood spits out, where is the balance ??

#8 Rod in Toronto

Rod in Toronto

Crushed in Rio

• Members *
  • 9352 posts
  • Interests:Running, music, movies, travelling, reading, food.

Posted 24 February 2018 - 06:00 PM

I like the original, but also feel that Lady Vengeance is miles ahead. And the remake was going well until it became a not-so-funny joke.

#9 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32035 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 08:06 PM

View PostLucas, on 24 February 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

I am fully aware of what come out of every part of the world, film wise .... I never said that any one country has a monopoly or a perfect record making films ..

I would wager that I have seen more Japanese films of the past decade than you have, and you probably seen more Hollywood films than I ...

There is no balance in Hollywood ... For every rehashed, remake, reimagined, sequeled, prequeled waste of time Hollywood spits out, where is the balance ??

If you know that both hemispheres steal from each other then why bother with the lopsided complaint?

Hollywood has a lot more shit than goodness. What else is new?

As far as Oldboy is concerned, in my earlier post I gave it 1 star. And I think even that is generous.
I didn’t see the original and I only knew of its existence before watching the Hollywood Brolin version.

#10 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32434 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:39 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 23 February 2018 - 08:57 AM, said:

Original - didn’t see it

Remake - 1 star

What?????

You the legendary JB??? Never saw the original???  FOUR STARS!

REMAKE IS CRAP!  ZERO STARS!  LIKE "VAPOR TRAILS!"

#11 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32434 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:40 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 24 February 2018 - 08:06 PM, said:

View PostLucas, on 24 February 2018 - 03:59 PM, said:

If you know that both hemispheres steal from each other then why bother with the lopsided complaint?

Hollywood has a lot more shit than goodness. What else is new?

As far as Oldboy is concerned, in my earlier post I gave it 1 star. And I think even that is generous.
I didn’t see the original and I only knew of its existence before watching the Hollywood Brolin version.

"Hemispheres" is the greatest album ever made on the Earth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users