Worst Five Rush Songs in Your Opinion

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Ultimate Rush Tribute

Ultimate Rush Tribute

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Redskins, Golf, Boating, Family, Keg Parties and Crypto-currency.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 09:51 AM

Even the Beatles had a few clunkers.  Everyone makes mistakes.  What were Rush's top 5 worst songs?

1 ) Roll the Bones (has to be the worst I can think of with the horrible orchestra hits and the "rapping" if you can call it that.  Why are we here? Because we're here.  Really?
2)  I think I'm going bald - Cheesemania
3)  Face Up
4) Dog Years
5) Leave that thing Alone - Lazy

Sponsored Post

#2 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32221 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:12 AM

View PostUltimate Rush Tribute, on 22 February 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

Even the Beatles had a few clunkers.  Everyone makes mistakes.  What were Rush's top 5 worst songs?

1 ) Roll the Bones (has to be the worst I can think of with the horrible orchestra hits and the "rapping" if you can call it that.  Why are we here? Because we're here.  Really?
3)  Face Up
4) Dog Years

Not surprised by #1-4.

But to #5’s one word comment I reply, “Holy shit. ‘Lazy’?! Rush?! They were like three hyperactive bees for their entire career.”

#3 Ultimate Rush Tribute

Ultimate Rush Tribute

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Rush, Redskins, Golf, Boating, Family, Keg Parties and Crypto-currency.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:26 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 February 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

3)  Face Up
4) Dog Years

Not surprised by #1-4.

But to #5’s one word comment I reply, “Holy shit. ‘Lazy’?! Rush?! They were like three hyperactive bees for their entire career.”
I am not saying they are lazy.  Just that that one song seems like a lazy effort.  It is not Rush-like to me at all.  My drummer loves that song for some reason and wanted to play it and I just couldn't understand why.  Nothing challenging about it, and just bleh.  It really seems like, uh we need one more song for this album, do a little jam, eh ok record it.

But overall, Rush lazy absolutely not.

#4 edhunter

edhunter

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3240 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

This thread is not fair. There are 11 equally,utterly, totally, completely, entirely shitty songs on Test For Echo. 6 of them shouldn't be let off the hook because you only want 5!

#5 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 61301 posts
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 22 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

View Postedhunter, on 22 February 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

This thread is not fair. There are 11 equally,utterly, totally, completely, entirely shitty songs on Test For Echo. 6 of them shouldn't be let off the hook because you only want 5!
:lol:

#6 Stormtron

Stormtron

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 7341 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:25 PM

Face Up
Second Nature
Dog Years
Virtuality
Superconductor/the last two on Roll the Bones/most of Test for Echo

#7 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34408 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:25 PM

Anagram (For Mongo)
Second Nature
Tai Shan
Rivendell
Speed of Love

#8 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3508 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:26 PM

3)  Face Up
4) Dog Years

While I certainly agree that the lyrics to I Think I'm Going Bald are cheesy, the tune itself is pretty good.  Wouldn't make my bottom 25 list.

#9 Red3angel

Red3angel

The Seeker

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:60s Bond. Art . Sade . Robert plant . The police

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:31 PM

I can honestly say I don’t hate anything of theirs. I willing to listen to it all even going bald

#10 Ultimate Rush Tribute

Ultimate Rush Tribute

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:17 PM

View Postapetersvt, on 22 February 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

3)  Face Up
4) Dog Years

While I certainly agree that the lyrics to I Think I'm Going Bald are cheesy, the tune itself is pretty good.  Wouldn't make my bottom 25 list.
But when you listen to the rest of Caress of Steel the feel of that song is just all wrong. IMO  It is a typical sounding 70's classic rock song with cheesy lyrics.  But when you compare that to the rest of the album, it really falls short.  Is all I'm saying.  And I don't hate any of them, but when you look at a body of work, there will be the best, the middle and the worst. No matter how impressive the body of work is.  These songs are just the least impressive in my book.

Edited by Ultimate Rush Tribute, 22 February 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#11 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9861 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

View PostUltimate Rush Tribute, on 22 February 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

3)  Face Up
4) Dog Years

But when you listen to the rest of Caress of Steel the feel of that song is just all wrong. IMO  It is a typical sounding 70's classic rock song with cheesy lyrics.  But when you compare that to the rest of the album, it really falls short.  Is all I'm saying.  And I don't hate any of them, but when you look at a body of work, there will be the good, the less good and even some clunkers.  These songs are just the least impressive in my book.  Although 1 or 2 my be close to strong angst, :sundog:

I love that tune and the older i got the more the lyrics rang true to me

Once we loved the flowers
Now we ask the price of the land
Once we would take water
But now it must be wine
Now we've been
And now we've seen
What price peace of mind
Take a piece of my mind

My 5 worst songs are the worst because they were overplayed during the synth years like

Red sector a
Marathon
Early distant warning

Blah blah blah

Edited by tangy, 22 February 2018 - 02:27 PM.

#12 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3508 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:29 PM

View PostUltimate Rush Tribute, on 22 February 2018 - 02:17 PM, said:

3)  Face Up
4) Dog Years

But when you listen to the rest of Caress of Steel the feel of that song is just all wrong. IMO  It is a typical sounding 70's classic rock song with cheesy lyrics.  But when you compare that to the rest of the album, it really falls short.  Is all I'm saying.  And I don't hate any of them, but when you look at a body of work, there will be the best, the middle and the worst. No matter how impressive the body of work is.  These songs are just the least impressive in my book.

Caress Of Steel is my favorite album and I will agree with you that it falls short compared with the rest of the album.  But I think Bald is still a good tune.  A typical sounding 70s classic rock song qualifies it for NOT being one of the worst five Rush songs.

#13 circumstantial tree

circumstantial tree

The Movie Star

• Members *
  • 20796 posts
  • Interests:architecture, North Carolina culture, classic TV, biographies, skating, music, fine arts, Italian cuisine, striped tube socks. Starred in "Beyond the Lighted Stage" as a fan.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:57 PM

pick anything from Test for Echo and those will be my 5.

#14 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 61301 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:10 PM

3)  Face Up
4) Dog Years

I dig it.

#15 goose

goose

Honkin' in Nevada

• Members *
  • 61301 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:17 PM

Five songs I can't stand...

Merde-rigal

Riven-dull

Speed of Loathing

The Color of Wrong

You Bet Your Lifeless Piece of Crap

#16 thirteen

thirteen

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:30 PM

1. Red lenses
2. Rivendell

#17 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32221 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

Probably in this order...

1) Bravest Face...yodeling garbage

2) You Bet Your Life...sounds like Billy Joel’s  “We Didn’t Start the Fire” - Buddy Holly Ben Hur bla bla bla suck

3) Speed of Love...(underserving of a comment)

4) Rivendell...Necromancer is an example of a good song made when drugged up; Rivendell is an example of a shit song when drugged up

5) Face Up...these lyrics kill this song for me. If it were an instrumental or just a bunch of humming I'd pass it. It’s a shame as the music behind the words is decent

#18 Freeze

Freeze

The Seeker

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:58 PM

Rivendell
Tai Shan
You Bet Your Life
Face Up
Color Of Right

#19 Alien Girl

Alien Girl

So Far So Good

• Members *
  • 2330 posts
  • Interests:Interests?...I have no interests...I'm not an interesting person. Very one dimensional...like cardboard...or toast.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:47 PM

The worst to me, and in my opinion, off albums I listen to regularly...

The Mission (blah, the intro makes me cringe)
Bravest Face
We hold on
Good News First
Middletown Dreams
Emotion Detector

I don't care if the rest of you lot love them, I don't care if they speak to you, I don't care if they strike a chord.  I don't care, I don't like 'em.

#20 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 32221 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

View PostAlien Girl, on 22 February 2018 - 07:47 PM, said:

The worst to me, and in my opinion, off albums I listen to regularly...

The Mission (blah, the intro makes me cringe)
Bravest Face
We hold on
Good News First
Middletown Dreams
Emotion Detector

I don't care if the rest of you lot love them, I don't care if they speak to you, I don't care if they strike a chord.  I don't care, I don't like 'em.

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users