Jump to content


Rate Lifeson studio guitar work on post-P/G albums (1985-2012)


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate Lifeson studio guitar work on post-P/G albums (1985-2012) (27 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate Lifeson studio guitar work on post-P/G albums (1985-2012)

  1. A - totally outstanding nearly as much as it has been during classic Rush years (11 votes [40.74%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 40.74%

  2. B - mainly remarkable (7 votes [25.93%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 25.93%

  3. C - a bit remarkable (6 votes [22.22%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 22.22%

  4. D - mostly basic/average with a couple of memorable moments (3 votes [11.11%] - View)

    Percentage of vote: 11.11%

  5. E - totally forgettable (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Texas King

Texas King

    Rushaholic

  • Members
  • 1879 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 February 2018 - 02:41 PM

For me: D - mostly basic/average with a couple of memorable moments.

I think in the studio Alex didn't show everything what he's got on his guitar since Grace Under Pressure, his very remarkable guitar work stopped, it just doesn't stand out much to me. Yes, he had a couple of memorable moments in post-P/G years, but those moments are not in the same league with what he's done in classic Rush period.
For example Cut to the Chase has a good guitar solo, but that solo is kinda average compared to a solo in La Villa Strangiato, Freewill or Necromancer.
But anyway he is still a great guitarist and among my favorites.

Share your opinions.

Edited by Texas King, 21 February 2018 - 02:42 PM.


Sponsored Post

#2 The Cat 3

The Cat 3

    Modern Day Alice Cooper

  • Members *
  • 17381 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Out in the alley

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:52 PM

Alex is much like George Harrison, not in style but rather in restraint.

It takes great restraint in serving the music over self and both George and Alex were great assets in their respective bands through their musical humility.

#3 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32221 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:22 AM

Even Lifeson’s worst bits are better than just average.
Rush’s lowest moments weren’t Lifeson. The lowest moments were other bits smothering Lifeson or limiting him in some way.

#4 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 61314 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:32 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 February 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Even Lifeson’s worst bits are better than just average.
Rush’s lowest moments weren’t Lifeson. The lowest moments were other bits smothering Lifeson or limiting him in some way.
This.

I think his work on Snakes and Arrows is as good as anything he's done.

Edited by goose, 22 February 2018 - 12:33 AM.


#5 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

    My name is Earl

  • Members
  • 32760 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:California

Posted 22 February 2018 - 12:46 AM

View Postgoose, on 22 February 2018 - 12:32 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 February 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Even Lifeson’s worst bits are better than just average.
Rush’s lowest moments weren’t Lifeson. The lowest moments were other bits smothering Lifeson or limiting him in some way.
This.

I think his work on Snakes and Arrows is as good as anything he's done.

My review on S&A is somewhere on here.  I raved about that record!  Loved it!

Ironically I am not a big fan of the writing and musical direction after "Counterparts."

However minus "Vapor Trails" I think Alex is fuckking fantastic!!!!!

I mean seriously????

Many fruits on here HATTE "Roll The Bones."  LOL!  Hilarious!  You have your own opinion.  Opinions are like stinky assholes, everyone has one.

The guitar riff and soloing segments on "Ghost Of A Chance" are majestic and top shelf!



Hell, as much as I hate "Vapor Trails" only the guitar parts are worth a listen.  Everything else on that record is shite.

#6 Ged Lent's sis

Ged Lent's sis

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 313 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Beneath, Between, & Behind
  • Interests:A 3rd best Rush experience: My 1st concert ever: Permanent Waves. See OTHER FAVE BANDS for poem about it.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:00 AM



#7 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 25348 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:30 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 February 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Even Lifeson’s worst bits are better than just average.
Rush’s lowest moments weren’t Lifeson. The lowest moments were other bits smothering Lifeson or limiting him in some way.

Agreed.  When the guitar took a back seat to synthesizers, my relationship with the band ended.

#8 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32221 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:50 PM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 February 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Even Lifeson’s worst bits are better than just average.
Rush’s lowest moments weren’t Lifeson. The lowest moments were other bits smothering Lifeson or limiting him in some way.

Agreed.  When the guitar took a back seat to synthesizers, my relationship with the band ended.

I might have to put an asterisk next to my post since Snakes is my least favorite Rush...and Lerxst isn’t being smothered by keyboards there

#9 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 25348 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:42 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 February 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Even Lifeson’s worst bits are better than just average.
Rush’s lowest moments weren’t Lifeson. The lowest moments were other bits smothering Lifeson or limiting him in some way.

Agreed.  When the guitar took a back seat to synthesizers, my relationship with the band ended.

I might have to put an asterisk next to my post since Snakes is my least favorite Rush...and Lerxst isn’t being smothered by keyboards there

Interesting.  I like Snakes better than anything after GUP other than CA.

#10 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32221 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:03 PM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 February 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Even Lifeson’s worst bits are better than just average.
Rush’s lowest moments weren’t Lifeson. The lowest moments were other bits smothering Lifeson or limiting him in some way.

Agreed.  When the guitar took a back seat to synthesizers, my relationship with the band ended.

I might have to put an asterisk next to my post since Snakes is my least favorite Rush...and Lerxst isn’t being smothered by keyboards there

Interesting.  I like Snakes better than anything after GUP other than CA.

Vocals, lyrics, and overall plodding combine to make it my least liked Rush.

#11 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 25348 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 February 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Even Lifeson’s worst bits are better than just average.
Rush’s lowest moments weren’t Lifeson. The lowest moments were other bits smothering Lifeson or limiting him in some way.

Agreed.  When the guitar took a back seat to synthesizers, my relationship with the band ended.

I might have to put an asterisk next to my post since Snakes is my least favorite Rush...and Lerxst isn’t being smothered by keyboards there

Interesting.  I like Snakes better than anything after GUP other than CA.

Vocals, lyrics, and overall plodding combine to make it my least liked Rush.

For me, nothing could be worse than HYF.

#12 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32221 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:13 PM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 February 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Even Lifeson’s worst bits are better than just average.
Rush’s lowest moments weren’t Lifeson. The lowest moments were other bits smothering Lifeson or limiting him in some way.

Agreed.  When the guitar took a back seat to synthesizers, my relationship with the band ended.

I might have to put an asterisk next to my post since Snakes is my least favorite Rush...and Lerxst isn’t being smothered by keyboards there

Interesting.  I like Snakes better than anything after GUP other than CA.

Vocals, lyrics, and overall plodding combine to make it my least liked Rush.

For me, nothing could be worse than HYF.

Geddy yodeling! I have to put on my bravest face for that! :P

#13 jnoble

jnoble

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1268 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:13 PM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 February 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Even Lifeson’s worst bits are better than just average.
Rush’s lowest moments weren’t Lifeson. The lowest moments were other bits smothering Lifeson or limiting him in some way.

Agreed.  When the guitar took a back seat to synthesizers, my relationship with the band ended.

I might have to put an asterisk next to my post since Snakes is my least favorite Rush...and Lerxst isn’t being smothered by keyboards there

Interesting.  I like Snakes better than anything after GUP other than CA.

Vocals, lyrics, and overall plodding combine to make it my least liked Rush.

For me, nothing could be worse than HYF.

Geddy yodeling! I have to put on my bravest face for that! :P

I've listened to The Anarchist on both the studio and two live renditions the other day and for the life of me I can't make out most of what Geddy is singing. Except for the "missing part of me surrounds me like a cage" part he sounds like he's using a different language, Welsh maybe :eh: :D

#14 Rush1978

Rush1978

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 161 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:texas
  • Interests:RUSH Primus BMW Kids in the hall BECK Ween

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

Too the dude on that awesome Guitar

You rock,  And you Kind of look like Lerxst with brown hair :Alex:

A ++++++  Amazing

Edited by Rush1978, 21 March 2018 - 02:50 PM.


#15 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32221 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 March 2018 - 06:23 PM

View Postjnoble, on 21 March 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 09:13 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 09:03 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 25 February 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 25 February 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 22 February 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Even Lifeson’s worst bits are better than just average.
Rush’s lowest moments weren’t Lifeson. The lowest moments were other bits smothering Lifeson or limiting him in some way.

Agreed.  When the guitar took a back seat to synthesizers, my relationship with the band ended.

I might have to put an asterisk next to my post since Snakes is my least favorite Rush...and Lerxst isn’t being smothered by keyboards there

Interesting.  I like Snakes better than anything after GUP other than CA.

Vocals, lyrics, and overall plodding combine to make it my least liked Rush.

For me, nothing could be worse than HYF.

Geddy yodeling! I have to put on my bravest face for that! :P

I've listened to The Anarchist on both the studio and two live renditions the other day and for the life of me I can't make out most of what Geddy is singing. Except for the "missing part of me surrounds me like a cage" part he sounds like he's using a different language, Welsh maybe :eh: :D

I like that song a lot but yeah I don’t understand much of what’s being sang. To my ears it starts something like:

Wo wolla world enough and time for me to sing that song
A voice so Simon fo so law


#16 jnoble

jnoble

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1268 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:27 PM

Lol
Exactly. I've stated before I would like CA more if another band recorded and sang it. I like the BEGINNINGS of most of it...the intro to Anarchist is pretty rocking but once he starts warbling I lose interest. I need to make my own instrumental remix of it or something.

#17 Ged Lent's sis

Ged Lent's sis

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 313 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Beneath, Between, & Behind
  • Interests:A 3rd best Rush experience: My 1st concert ever: Permanent Waves. See OTHER FAVE BANDS for poem about it.

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:20 AM

With Lerxst it's a feel-thing. One either "gets it" (that is, has a taste for it), or not (& to varying degrees, obviously). The vid I posted above lent an extra respect for his guitar work on HYF, an album I always loved parts of, and totally meh'd or huh'd other parts of. "Mission" was an example of an actual song I liked only partially. Now, after simply watching that cat play Alex' parts, I love it.

As with every new album release from Permanent Waves to Power Windows, I was initially cold on them, until I "became acclimated" by way of multiple listens and eventually was quite hot on them. After that I continued to grow colder until I just kind of lost track, with the exception of—as with so many others—Counterparts. Having said all of that, I have to wonder if maybe I failed to allow the acclimation process in the nineties and oughts. Especially in consideration of the revelation that got me loving "Mission". It could be that I'd find *all the albums moving and exemplary and, not least, Lerxst-worthy so.

*w/ the exception of mixing and production on Snakes and Angels; nothing can change my mind about how unlistenable they are in spite of compositional quality and performance, which are buried in "the mix"

edited for punctuation

Edited by Ged Lent's sis, 22 March 2018 - 02:24 AM.


#18 Ged Lent's sis

Ged Lent's sis

    The Seeker

  • Members
  • 313 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Beneath, Between, & Behind
  • Interests:A 3rd best Rush experience: My 1st concert ever: Permanent Waves. See OTHER FAVE BANDS for poem about it.

Posted 22 March 2018 - 02:32 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 21 March 2018 - 06:23 PM, said:

View Postjnoble, on 21 March 2018 - 02:13 PM, said:

I've listened to The Anarchist on both the studio and two live renditions the other day and for the life of me I can't make out most of what Geddy is singing. Except for the "missing part of me surrounds me like a cage" part he sounds like he's using a different language, Welsh maybe :eh: :D
I like that song a lot but yeah I don’t understand much of what’s being sang. To my ears it starts something like:

Wo wolla world enough and time for me to sing that song
A voice so Simon fo so law

That's exactly what he sings - and it is Welsh. It means:
Look at me! I'm Geddy Lee!
I've taken care of the songs you sing
Pink isn't well, he stayed back at the hotel
Jamming with a Pict




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users